Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 10:10   #61

Boat: Cape Dory
Re: A List of Unsuccessful Bluewater Passages

Rule 62.

Also, isn't there a website with a list of vessels which are currently missing. I think they maintain past reports -- might be a good place to compile info. I like the website based for DOJ was using . . ..
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:22   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Rule 62.

Also, isn't there a website with a list of vessels which are currently missing. I think they maintain past reports -- might be a good place to compile info. I like the website based for DOJ was using . . ..
I think you might be thinking of these guys:

International Boat Watch Network - (Current Incident)

However they only record vessels they were involved with as part of a HAM(?) search. Hence no Nina and no mention of Gran Soleil.

Mine is still a WIP:

The Lost Yachts Register

Going to be focused on the Missing (hence the new pages for each missing boat that are (slowly!) coming).

On the Missing list will be those vessels that went missing - and updated with Presumed Lost or any other outcome (might even be a few happy stories?!). BTW I am not going to be actively calling a vessel "presumed lost", likely that they will be called simply "still missing" well passed any realistic prospect of a happy outcome.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:36   #63

Just in case you don't have this one. Met him in Hiva Oa, 2009. Loaned his spare Hitachi alternator to me. Returned it to him in Tahiti. Last saw him in Niefu, Tonga. His next port was New Zealand. Had no idea he was sailing from there to Chili next. Discovered he was missing on Noonsite.

SAITO CHALLENGE 8 DAILY LOG (2008-2011): Urgent request to locate missing sailor near Cape Horn
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:00   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Just in case you don't have this one. Met him in Hiva Oa, 2009. Loaned his spare Hitachi alternator to me. Returned it to him in Tahiti. Last saw him in Niefu, Tonga. His next port was New Zealand. Had no idea he was sailing from there to Chili next. Discovered he was missing on Noonsite.

SAITO CHALLENGE 8 DAILY LOG (2008-2011): Urgent request to locate missing sailor near Cape Horn
Cheers. That one new to me - will add him to my "Missing" list..........
Old 17-08-2013, 16:05   #65

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Can anyone identify the make and model of "Sea Wanderer"? There is a good picture of the boat here:
Seven Seas Voyager Involved in Rescue of Sailors Aboard Sea Wanderer : Cruise Law News
I think its a Hartley "South Seas".
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 17:52   #66

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Cheers. That one new to me - will add him to my "Missing" list..........
I think Saito was found / arrived safely:

SAITO CHALLENGE 8 DAILY LOG (2008-2011): Day 1080+2 [Sep. 19/11 JST] – Saito-san's Moment

It is hard working through foreign language sites, but that is my first impression.

-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 02:01   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
I think Saito was found / arrived safely:

SAITO CHALLENGE 8 DAILY LOG (2008-2011): Day 1080+2 [Sep. 19/11 JST] – Saito-san's Moment

It is hard working through foreign language sites, but that is my first impression.

-M
Cheers - I also thought he had been found ..........but seems that was a different Japanese fella:

SAITO CHALLENGE 8 DAILY LOG (2008-2011): Day 1080 + 7 [Sep. 24/11 JST] – Accolades for Saito-san

"At the time Saito-san cleared Cape Horn, Keiichi Chinami was in his ketch Kifu on his own circumnavigation and sadly disappeared within a few hundred miles of Saito-san's position during a severe storm. Several weeks later we were able to help clear up confusion that occurred when it was thought that Chinami-san might have been the Japanese sailor reported at Puerto Williams, Chile, rather than Saito-san. We commented on this at the time. More can be read here. Our deepest condolences, again, to the family of Chinami-san who himself was an amazingly brave sailor from Japan on his own personal dream to sail the world".
Old 18-08-2013, 08:53   #68

Has anyone written about Art Piver? Went missing in the 60s on the California coast.______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 08:56   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Cheers - I also thought he had been found ..........but seems that was a different Japanese fella:

SAITO CHALLENGE 8 DAILY LOG (2008-2011): Day 1080 + 7 [Sep. 24/11 JST] – Accolades for Saito-san

"At the time Saito-san cleared Cape Horn, Keiichi Chinami was in his ketch Kifu on his own circumnavigation and sadly disappeared within a few hundred miles of Saito-san's position during a severe storm. Several weeks later we were able to help clear up confusion that occurred when it was thought that Chinami-san might have been the Japanese sailor reported at Puerto Williams, Chile, rather than Saito-san. We commented on this at the time. More can be read here. Our deepest condolences, again, to the family of Chinami-san who himself was an amazingly brave sailor from Japan on his own personal dream to sail the world".
You are right. Two different people. Saito finished his challenge, sadly Keiichi did not.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 12:39   #70

Boat: a sailing boat

I think all the guys that raced against Knox Johnson were fails, right?

Except perhaps Moitessier ;-) who was only half a fail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, water