Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 19:36   #61

Boat: Still building
Re: A general social question regarding sailing

Happens in the old car world as well. I'm the Secretary of my local old car club, so HAVE to remember everyone's names, but I've found when talking to other members about a third party, I need to remember their vehicle, so not 'John Smith' but 'John with the blue 65' Holden'. The other commonality is that established and longer term member couples are known as 'Fred and Ginger'. No need for surname or car brand.

Another good trick I remember, to add to the one posted up thread, when I've forgotten someone's name, I introduce a third person whose name I DO remember, and as they respond I'm reminded of the name I'd forgotten. So, "Hey, have you guys met before? This is Fred with the Model-A Ford." [The forgotten person responds:] "Oh, hello, I'm Graham, and this is Donna, ours is the '72 Corvette".
[Thinks to myself: ahh, that's right, Graham and Donna Winkelboom, '72 Corvette, Rodeo Drive, Craptown...]

Our membership officer can remember people's Membership numbers. We all hate him though, so it doesn't matter. He's the 'fun police' who decides whether or not a car is 'eligible' for our local heritage motoring scheme - lower rego costs, included insurances etc. He's know as 'that bastard Gavin', or just 'Gavin' if you're being polite. No one ever asks, "Who's Gavin?"
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:59   #62
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
He's the 'fun police' who decides whether or not a car is 'eligible' for our local heritage motoring scheme - lower rego costs, included insurances etc. He's know as 'that bastard Gavin', or just 'Gavin' if you're being polite. No one ever asks, "Who's Gavin?"

Is it about owning/building/restoring the vintage car that you really love, or being accepted by some rigid social group for having an "approved" type of vintage car in the "correct" configuration and condition that meets their expectations and filters?

This is why I don't join things...
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:22   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

for the longest time, I was known as " that guy that built that boat""....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:11   #64

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
To me it is all the same. Name or no name, I forget in five minutes.

Some people introduce with name, some never introduce, others give their full name (s), surname (s), job title (s) and shoe size (s - if left differs from right).

Francesco Pablo Gonzalves Primeiro Segundo, doctor of sciences, father of seven. My new neighbour. Hell.

I drop whatever they say, nearly immediately, and from now on will only ever refer to them as:

- the tall one,
- the fat one,
- the Swede,
- the drunkard,
- the father-of-7,
- etc.

The special honor belongs to the one who fails to introduce her-/himself and starts out with asking my name, job title, nationality, and source of income. The lippy ones will ask if I am gay or straight. All these I call by one common name: dock jerks, followed by a number (on a long dock there may be more than one).

Good way:
- Hi, I am Pete, I am from the new boat that has just sunk in the entry to the marina!

- Hi, I am Jack, I am very sorry for your loss. How about a drink?

Bad way:

b.

Now that’s nice, really nice
Old 10-07-2020, 14:57   #65

Only knowing first names is true.

A funny story, although my name is Chris one of the other sailors thought it was Eric. He called me Eric for years until one day a bunch of us were talking and someone called me Chris. He was embarrassed but it was all in good fun.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 21:07   #66

Boat: Still building

LOL. Yeah, the former President of my car club called me *Fred for about a year till I pointed out that my name was actually *Michael. He still occasionally got it wrong, but then would get confused because he remembered it was wrong and couldn't remember the correct name.
Now it's kind of a running gag - if he calls me *Fred, I call him *Steven.
Occasionally he remembers my real name and calls me by it and is so pleased!
He's old, and harmless, so I don't mind....
|
|
|
|
*Names changed to protect both innocent and guilty....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:38   #67

I worked for a boss for about 5 years. I still do not know his name. I made my own up.
Rob Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:50   #68

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

The biggest problem comes when you have been doing this long enough and you knock on a boat you know well but haven't seen for a while and the people on board are different. Boat gets sold new people mental database in total chaos.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing