Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:25   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: 22ft Bahamas Trip? Or not a good idea?

I would go up a notch in size. There are a lot of Catalina 27s around, cheap. A 30 would be perfect. Both good learner boats. What you have, I think, is a good learner boat too, but the gulf stream will be brutal in that small a boat. If you are up to some slow, poundy, bouncy going, go for it, but replace all wires first, and if it is a transom or keel slung rudder, the gudgeons and pintles. Do yourself a favor and install oarlocks and get some long river rafting oars. You will find them not unhandy for maneuvering, in the event your otboard conks out. A new 4hp long shaft 4 stroke can be had for around $1200 and will last decades with light use and decent maintenance. When you upgrade to a big boy boat, it can push your dinghy.

I second the idea to take off from down in the keys instead of pushing straight across, in such a small boat. Full class B AIS and plenty of deck lighting, and a backup VHF, will help a lot in keeping ships from running over you. A 200w solar panel would be a fine investment, BTW, and definitely have all the batteries you can safely carry. I am a strong believer in 6v golf cart batteries. 4 of them, in two banks, is a very good setup.

Lots of practice. I wouldn't figure on a bahamas trip before getting a couple years of weekend and vacation sailing in your boat. There is more to pick up than you could possibly imagine right now. Apart from that, you don't need to become an ace navigator for such a voyage. A good android phone (and a backup!) with OCPN installed and some practice using it, will be all you really need.

You need to get your boat out of some tough situations near the marina first, before you have to get your boat out of tough situations far from land and help. Just sayin.

Final answer, its doable, if not advisable, but it could be more punishing or risky than you would prefer. Up to you, whether it is worth doing or not.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:42   #47

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I wouldn't have a problem taking my Capri 22 to the Bahamas or anywhere else for that matter. You need to be able to sail in 25+ knots of wind so a third reef and storm jib is needed. I have gone to the Dry Tortugas twice in my 15' home made catboat and might take it to the Bahamas. Just watch the weather and once there, there are plenty of sheltered anchorages for a boat with that shallow draft.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:24   #48

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amremington View Post
So I have been rebuilding a boat that I got for free from Craigslist. I haven't been able to find the exact model online but it is extremely similar to a Catalina 22.
As a point of reference, you should be able to easily establish the manufacturer of the boat you are refitting. Most all boats have a hull number set into the hull somewhere in the transom area. The hull number is coded with the manufacturer and the date of construction. That may help others give you a few clues about setting the boat up for rough weather and handling it in sloppy conditions.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:32   #49

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
So I have been rebuilding a boat that I got for free from Craigslist. I haven't been able to find the exact model online but it is extremely similar to a Catalina 22. While I continue to make my YouTube videos of getting this thing sailing again, I have been wondering how far I can go with it. I haven't sailed much at all so I plan to start practicing on the local lake but would it be crazy to think I could sail it to the Keys or even the Bahamas.
Here is an earlier 76 minute video of a similar adventure, rebuilding a scrap boat and sailing in the Bahamas and down to Hispaniola.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:14   #50

No..do not try the Bahamas. You have limited to no sailing experience, nor do even know what boat your sailing. What I do recommend is to take the ICW south to the Keys first. The ICW will challenge you navigation skills and present opportunities for off shore hopping between inlets. Additionally you will meet seasoned sailors who will advise you about timing for crossing the Gulf Stream. A failure to correctly cross at the right time. In such a small boat could endanger you life and others.

Once you have done those things GO FOR IT. Sorry for the straight talk but ...I want to see you safe.
Adagio01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 18:28   #51

One thing I have learned is that size doesn't have a great bearing on seaworthiness, The important factors are good design and sound construction.

There used to be a 12 foot aluminium yacht on display in the museum in Brisbane that had been sailed from Brisbane to Brisbane around the world by Serge Testa who wrote a book about his adventure called "500 days"

In the Brisbane Maritime Museum is an 8 foot aluminium yacht that was sailed from New Caledonia to Brisbane.

A New Zealand rock singer Andrew Fagan sailed an 18 foot plywood boat from Auckland to Raoul Island some 500 miles north of Auckland and back Auckland. Auckland to Wellington via the west coast of the North Island. Auckland to New Plymouth. New Plymouth across the notorious Tasman Sea to Mooloolaba on the Queensland coast and then back to Auckland. His book is titled "Swirly World - The solo voyages"

I met a chap in Port Vila, Vanuatu who had sailed a 20 foot aluminium boat that only had a very shallow keel from Perth in Western Australia, across the Great Australian Bight to New Plymouth in NZ, from there to Auckland, then to Fiji and then to Port Vila.
He left a few days later to sail north of New Caledonia back to the Queensland Coast.

Hundreds more voyages completed successfully by sailors in small boats over the years.

I would suggest getting a copy of Lin and Larry Pardey's book/video "Storm Tactics" and learn how set your boat up to heave to safely. "Heaving to" is the sailor's safety valve for handling storms.

I used to own a 22'6" twin keeler in New Zealand and sailed that some 6000 nautical miles around Auckland - up to Whangarei and Bay of Islands, down to Mercury Islands and Whitianga including Great Barrier Island.
It wasn't uncommon to bash home in 30 knots and one weekend bashed most of the way home against 40 gusting 50 knots with 20 miles of fetch and 2 metre seas to get to a sheltered bay.

As long as your boat is sound and set up properly there is no reason not to do your planned trip once you have gained a bit more experience.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 19:11   #52

One further thing I should have mentioned is that with a swing keel make sure you have a way of locking the keel down when in open water so that it can't move up should you ever get knocked down.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22   #53

Boat: Hunter 26

You said you are still trying to figure out what boat you have. The hull # has a code on it that will identify the manufacturer of your boat. The first three letters of the HIN will be the manufacturer I.D. code.

Here is some info

Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com
HIN Search User Guide
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 15:26   #54

Quote:
So I have been rebuilding a boat that I got for free from Craigslist. I haven't been able to find the exact model online but it is extremely similar to a Catalina 22. While I continue to make my YouTube videos of getting this thing sailing again, I have been wondering how far I can go with it. I haven't sailed much at all so I plan to start practicing on the local lake but would it be crazy to think I could sail it to the Keys or even the Bahamas?

The more I read about it the more I see "it is possible" and "it has been done on smaller". But I would like more of an opinion based answer than technical. What do you all think? I am sure safety and comfort are the big players in something like this right?

Obviously I am not going to drop it in the water and head out to the Bahamas day 1 but instead get the feel of the boat, practice and build my confidence. But I like looking ahead and wondering if I need to start looking for something bigger for the bigger trips.

Where are you starting from? I would think making a few short hops out and back along the coast would be some well earned practice, as opposed to practicing in a lake due to tides and other things associated with blue water sailing.
missionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 20:23   #55

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Well , It's two later , How are you coming with your boat repairs and sailing adventures?
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas