Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 14:36   #16

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Yo Ho Ho, &...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Vindice View Post
Is that a trick question? The American side both times...the one fighting to leave the empire. All they ever wanted was to have their own thing, those pesky Americans.

The confederates were the ones fighting to do their own thing as I recall. That thing was slavery.
Is that what you mean?
Can you clarify?
Old 03-10-2021, 14:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Which American do you mean? White Americans? Native Americans? Christian Americans? Which Christian church? Male Americans? Liberal Americans?
Here we go again (c)

Divide and conquer, eh?

BTW, the notion that the Civil War was mainly about slavery is a post fact invention of the winners who ended up in charge of writing official history books. It was anything but. Lincoln even allowed some Southern states to keep slaves as the price for getting their support.
Old 03-10-2021, 14:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
The confederates were the ones fighting to do their own thing as I recall. That thing was slavery.
Is that what you mean?
Can you clarify?
No, I do not mean that. But I am sure there's a more appropriate place than an introduction in Meet & Greets for a political or historical literacy discussion. I seem to recall there being an off-topic section of the Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Which American do you mean? White Americans? Native Americans? Christian Americans? Which Christian church? Male Americans? Liberal Americans?

If (like many/most educated in the public schools) you wish to make the War of Northern Aggression into a discussion about race, see above.
Old 03-10-2021, 16:31   #19

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Freaking unbelievable.
Old 03-10-2021, 19:47   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Here we go again (c)
Yep, bl**dy septics stuffing up an international forum with their petty domestic politics yet again.
Old 03-10-2021, 19:49   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Vindice View Post
But I am sure there's a more appropriate place than an introduction in Meet & Greets for a political or historical literacy discussion.
And I'm sure that there are more appropriate screen names for an international cruising forum than a political/religious slogan which many will find offensive.
Old 03-10-2021, 21:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, bl**dy septics stuffing up an international forum with their petty domestic politics yet again.
I strongly disagree.

Every cruiser and potential cruiser has been affected by the governments' intrusion into our private lives and crusing plans for the past 20 months. The roots of our government's ability to intrude, at least for us in US, go back directly to the causes and the results of that Civil War 150+ years ago.

Whether you like it or not this subject (governments' overreach) is as pertinent to any cruiser as propane danger, sloppy maintenance or some such. I wish it wasn't so but it is. Unlike religion for example.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:10   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome back aboard the CF, Deo.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:32   #24

Time out. The Federal government’s consolidation of power during and after the civil war was a bad thing, and yes there may have been some good people who believed in the confederacy for noble reasons. But most of them were poor farmers. It was the rich elites that sent them to their deaths on the battlefield so they could earn higher profits on their crops with slave labor. Yes the confederacy fought for states rights, but at the top of that list was the right to own people. If that wasn’t true, they would have freed the slaves, depriving the north of that motivation to fight. But they didn’t. So the confederacy can not be separated from the aim to perpetuate slavery. Furthermore, during its short life the confederacy failed to live up to its stated ideals. In an effort to save itself, it turned into a high tax, authoritarian government which conscripted poor people into military service.
I understand if some of us don’t like the authoritarian overreach of the world’s governments during the past few years. I don’t like it myself. But if we want to promote the cause of Liberty, you can’t do it by promoting the confederacy. We have plenty of other role models to quote like Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine or Patrick Henry.
Lastly this is an international cruising forum. We shouldn’t even really be having this discussion, so this is the last I’ll speak of it. Everyone should feel welcome here regardless of what they believe
Old 06-10-2021, 14:36   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Agreed, lets close the thread and talk about anchors instead.

Pete
Closed Thread