Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29   #1

Worship

We're contemplating making the jump on a boat in the Caribbean, I have been blessed with great kids(so far) and a loving wife. However, the kids are moving on and were (I'm) getting the itch to do the live aboard thing. I am convicted that if I turn all my resources on myself it's going to be a empty life style, for me and the way I was rewired by Jesus Christ many years ago. Not others, just me. No judging going on here and I hope the Jesus thing is allowed on this forum. If not I respect that.
All that to ask these questions
Is there a blog that is centered around God seeking boaters?
Is there a mission minded group out there? Last year my family took Christmas to a poverty stricken village in Mexico about 150 miles south of Monterey, best thing I ever did for christmass, the kids preferred the shoes over the toys.
Are there groups of boaters that meet to worship?
Are there local fellowships that welcome boaters?
Jimmy-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42   #2

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher
Re: Worship

If you and your wife are of a like mind, go for it! The operative word is "and"- there should be a continuity in the decision. Being a liveaboard doesn't mean you're becoming materialistic- in a way, it's just the opposite! Having time, talent, and treasure to use as you feel you must is a wonderful thing.

As for the blog- start one!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

I do not know the answers to your questions related to existing networks or blogs.

However, I think there is a good opportunity for you to enjoy visiting many churches as you travel by boat. Each community will have some kind of church, and the variety of people and their expressions of faith and community could be an interesting part of your own journey.

In short, I would not limit myself to just "boaters" when seeking fellowship.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07   #4

IIRC, there's a Christian Sailing Association.

However, in Mexico, many cruisers devote a lot of time to helping the local communities, regardless of the cruisers' faiths.

Latitude 38 reports on those efforts, including taking locals sailing, benefits from regattas and plain old fashioned helping out.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

First, you will find that many marinas and anchorages where cruisers congregate will have prayer meetings and/or bible study groups that will welcome you. Our family has always attended Mass with the locals wherever we have cruised. We have always been welcomed and made to feel at home.

Most local churches will be able to guide you as to Mission projects. Be advised that they are rarely lacking in manpower - it's funds they are short of. As a Gringo, they will automatically assume you have plenty of money. The lesson is to clearly state up front what you can do for them and make it clear you only have "x" amount of dollars. You don't want misunderstandings and hard feelings when you are trying to help.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14   #6

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Then there's these people Sailing Missionaries to the Caribbean & Central America
Old 04-09-2014, 05:44   #7

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
If you and your wife are of a like mind, go for it! The operative word is "and"- there should be a continuity in the decision. Being a liveaboard doesn't mean you're becoming materialistic- in a way, it's just the opposite! Having time, talent, and treasure to use as you feel you must is a wonderful thing.

As for the blog- start one!
Thank you we are going to charter a boat for a month or two before we purchase. Sounds like well grounded advice.
Old 21-09-2014, 19:08   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Try a different thread than Meets and Greets. Destinations would be a good one to try.
Old 21-09-2014, 19:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I do not think the cruising lifestyle is a selfish one. We worship with the locals and find ways to serve wherever we go. One's mindset is what is important.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 00:51   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

For six years we worshipped at the closest church to where we could land the dinghy, all throughout the Bahamas, east coast and eastern Caribbean. Had a lot of great experiences, but one of my favorites was beach church in George Town in the Bahamas. Our kids liked it too.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 01:06   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I have been out 7 years now and finding a church to attend is a bit difficult and can be a good experience. Once when i was on the east coast of the usa i went to a sunday service in a small town in one of the carolinas on a rainy miserable day and i was soaked by the time i got there even with fould wx gear on. Not one person greeted me as i sat in the back row and the minister did come by to say good morning and walked to the front and welcomed all and those homeless who sought shelter in the Lord's house. I did laugh at that but never would go back.
I did attend church where i could understand what was going on regardless of denomination and was always welcomed. Out side of engilsh speaking countries i really missed regular worship and found John Hagee on the internet and would watch him when i had good internet. But the one thing I always do is go to the church in the town i am visiting and spend a few moments thanking the Lord for another safe arrival. After a 21 day crossing of the Atlantic i spent more than a few minutes saying thank you. Now in the Med with old churches everywhere I still stop and say thank you for another safe arrival and the internet works here too so i can watch a worship service on line.
There are some locations all through the Carib where cruisers gather for Bible study and prayer groups but many places there are not.

Good luck with the decision.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 01:14   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

OH - I forgot one thing. When we left the USA we took a lot of stuff for kids to hand out, like small toys, crayons, paper, pencils ect. It was ok in Mexico and Belize but inland Guatamala we were warned not to pass them out but did anyway and got some really strange looks. We met a peace corps person and asked them and they told us to stop as far inland there is still some left over rumors that gringos are there to steal children. At one point i went to take a picture of a church at the top of some long stairs and woman and child were coming down. The woman say me and started waving like no picture so i waited and got a cold icy stare as she walked by.
So not everyone is friendly or forthcoming and you must judge each situtation on it's own and listen to those who have been there a while as there are certain issues that can create some unpleasant time for you.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 22:08   #14

Boat: Kaufman 47

Chuck, I have read somewhere else about the Guatemala kidnappings where people got the stares and looks you received.

Buy that's great that hear you find churches in most of your ports to stop in and worship privately when there isn't a service.

I plan to cruise soon and being a traveling missionary and evangelist has really pulled at me.. This thread was a a blessing to see as I wasn't sure what to expect, now I have some ideas.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 14:38   #15

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.

You may find this interesting:

www.bornagaininbluewater.com
russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote