Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2022, 21:35   #1
cruiser

Winning too

Long-term planning. Getting there slowly.

Hi all.
Wishing you many smiles looking at dials over countless miles.

We were cruisers a long time ago, pre introduction of policed 'safety' equipment. We halted courses upon change of legislation creating excessive requirements for personal vessels.

Now close to finding a suitable vessel after 30 years.
And pretty happy.

Found and bought a freehold berth last year, I'm allowed 13.5 metres. Lee of dominant wind with a 200+ft fairway that is permanently open space thanks to some commercial berths. Hence a strong established bow keelson vessel with or without cut out aft of main rocker will be easy going.

I met some of my neighbours. Excellent. Yachting people.

Next couple of years is finding a suitable hull and deck. Complete hopefully. I've looked at a ketch and a cruising rig sloop, sloop was about 20 cm to wide, ketch could be perfect, new rig etc but will probably sell before I'm ready. Ukraine next month then towards serious with myself and future Mobile home.

I like forced tack sailing systems. Triangles that spear point but cruising I'd rather a flexible luff.
Plan is to use what used market brings and upgrade (or downgrade depending upon view) to a low maintenance flexible luff rig.

Low maintenance? Less hands.. ain't looking at square or spinnaker.

Low maintenance? Less fatigue on sail system. Flexible luff does that but costs point towards true wind during light conditions.

1 option I really liked entertaining thoughts with is finding vessel such as Roberts that would support burying 3 unstayed masts in ship rig configuration.
Junk sails. Cockpit routed lines . Raise, reef, sheet. All done with ease and control by an aging me.
Flexible luff system. Full battened lug sail basically. Sail able if ripped, easy to repair, cheap on $ costs after initial principal of refit. Low cost of weight on lines too for lazy sailing.
An ever higher point of sail with an ever higher growth of wind strength.
Off point on light wind tacking and simple fear of lightning strike can be rerouted to a higher point in light winds (self tacking ain't a problem) and an easy electrical path to ocean via a lightning wore mast tip connectors and a second forward fore halyard with a deck eye near bow.
Point like a Bermuda if needed, ease luff of triangle and point with strength along loose luff if required or simply pilot strength of wind via simple junk rig thus developing torque, rpm, power system that's alot stronger than a pointing Bermuda or ketch or similar when times get rough yet reef able on instant via 1 hand tension line cleat per mast sail.

I hope that helps some dreamers..
Because simple physics. Hedsail on sloop, Bermuda, etc is designed to spear wind. Great advantages, yes.
Disadvantages include sail wear and simply a fixed luff as wide as the forestay and skin of sail covering such contributing to a large percentage of why the vessel heels; Rotation.
Flexible luffs sail flatter when wind grows strength. Simply weird truth seeking true wind yet being tack full.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 21:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Winning too

Hi, welcome to the forum. Perhaps you can clarify on your intro page the general area where you are based; that is always very useful when interacting with other users.

Fair winds.
Old 17-05-2022, 01:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Retirement home.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 07:02   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum. Perhaps you can clarify on your intro page the general area where you are based; that is always very useful when interacting with other users.

Fair winds.
Adelaide.
South Australia.

Although living in desert.
Berth at North Haven.
No boat. No rush.

Started looking for boats. Near future probability is fly in fly out. Home on yacht. Tasmania close by, about 7 day sail return. Surfing locations local only a day sail away. Semi retirement.

Looking for boats I am looking at keelson. I like forward rudders such as long keel old day racing boats that'd brace naturally but I'd rather internal volume and guess ballerina days are fattening. Masters of momentum with natural course hold ability instead.
I also look at internal cabin because I really believe the calm weather performance losses to point using a flexible luff sail system won't be a worry and the benefits during heavy wind point are far more important. Thus budgeting twice for vessel. Purchase then years later replace entire rigging system with heavy weather performance oriented survival. (Although wanting nice weather too, am normal).

Turtles only walk on land between nest and shore. We humans walk alot more. But I won't out manoeuvre every storm front, may aswell build the vessel to true reach into such fronts. Much safer is my opinion.

Thanks Fairwinds. Happy days.
Old 18-05-2022, 07:06   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Retirement home.
Thank you kindly.

May many merry days be blessed with many sunny rays upon you GordMay.
Happy sailing sir.