Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 11:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why Steady Hand is Now Steadman Uhlich

Howdy and Ahoy!

"Steady Hand" has become "Steadman Uhlich."

That is me. I am the same person.

"Steady Hand" (a moniker or user name) will no longer be seen on CF, but I am still here and will continue to participate.

I simply changed my user name on CF to show my real name, Steadman Uhlich.
You may still call me "Steady" if you want (it is my real nickname).

Why did I change my CF User Name?

I have been an active member of CF since I joined in 2014. When I first joined, I chose to use a pseudonym (Steady Hand) because it was my online nickname I had used on other online knowledge sharing forums since about 2002. In the early days of the internet, anonymity was the preferred method of communication, and for many it remains their preference. I understand there are some valid reasons why some members do prefer to remain anonymous, and of course most visitors of this site remain "lurkers."

I have decided to use my real name (Steadman Uhlich) because:

I like to think of online communities as people, rather than avatars or boats or objects.

I have been an active member of CF for 4 years, and during that time I have not suffered any negative effects of being a member of this online community.

I think of my time on CF as a very positive experience, where I am learning from others who have so much knowledge and experience. I enjoy my visits here, and I sincerely want to help make it a better and more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Because I am a professional artist, I have used my own name online for about 18 years to represent my own work. For example, my brick and mortar fine art gallery was named simply "Steadman Uhlich Fine Art" and I continue to use that name online (on my own studio website) to show my work. So, I am comfortable having my name online.

I like CF very much, and consider it the best place for cruising sailors from around the world to share opinions and knowledge. There are other sailing groups I like too, but CF has a very special place in my heart as a sailing community that cares and shares.

While I understand many people on online forums are reluctant to show their name or identity, I think the popularity of Facebook has changed how people use online social media, removing some of the anonymity that was so common in the past. For example, Facebook has a model that thrives on transparency and sharing of personal opinions, tastes, activities, special interests, etc. Like it or not, it works and over a billion people have made social media a valid and beneficial way to communicate with others.

I am a member of a few sailing groups on Facebook too, and from what I can see, most members use their real names, rather than boat names or pseudonyms, because they use Facebook for other social networking too, with family and friends, where the use of a real name is important.

I believe it is a good thing to be transparent and accountable for what one does and writes. I have nothing to hide. I am honest with what I write, and I don't mind having my name associated with what I post or share or write.

If I owned a boat, I might have chosen my boat name when I first joined, as I see many do. But I prefer to use my own name.

I respect that everyone has a right to choose their user name, and how they want to be seen by others online. So, this is a personal decision, and I don't want you to think I am criticizing others who have been happy to use a pseudonym for years. I don't expect other members here to change their pseudonym names or boat name user names to their real names, but it is possible (as I have done so). However, I know CF gains new members every day, and most visitors lurk and view the site long before joining as a member.

So, I am happy to use my real name, and hope to encourage others (by example) to do so on CF too, when they join as a new member.

Finally, I use a real (and recent) headshot photo as my avatar. I do so because I think faces (and real names) "humanize" an online community. I prefer, and like to see the faces of people with whom I become friends, and I am happy to say I have enjoyed establishing many new friendships with people because of joining and participating in CF. So, I encourage anyone who joins CF to use a real, recent headshot photo of themselves. I think it is a very positive thing to do, and helps build a more humane community with people relating to people.

That's how I see it.
Fair Winds Everyone!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Why Steady Hand is Now Steadman Uhlich

Allow me to extend a warm welcome to your new name!

Although I've only seen positive contributions from "Steady Hand", I think that using our real names tends to encourage good behavior. I use my sailboat's name (VALIS) on some forums, but in those cases my real name is in the signature footer or equivalent.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:46   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Steadman, I admire your contributions to this forum. Your comments are always clearly intended to be helpful. Your are as careful as possible to make your intentions known to avoid misunderstanding of your comments. And you make the distinction between what you know and what you’ve only read. I also appreciate that you don’t use sarcasm or cynicism as an attempt at humor (something I confess I’m guilty of). Your participation on Cruisers Forum is an asset to this cruiser.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Allow me to extend a warm welcome to your new name!

Although I've only seen positive contributions from "Steady Hand", I think that using our real names tends to encourage good behavior. I use my sailboat's name (VALIS) on some forums, but in those cases my real name is in the signature footer or equivalent.
Thank you for the welcome Paul.

I am glad to be aboard.

And thanks for understanding my reasons. I too think use of a real name encourages good behavior.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Steadman, I admire your contributions to this forum. Your comments are always clearly intended to be helpful. Your are as careful as possible to make your intentions known to avoid misunderstanding of your comments. And you make the distinction between what you know and what you’ve only read. I also appreciate that you don’t use sarcasm or cynicism as an attempt at humor (something I confess I’m guilty of). Your participation on Cruisers Forum is an asset to this cruiser.
Thanks for your kind comments.

I have tried to use sarcasm and humor in other online groups, and found my attempts were usually not understood as humor. Online communications can be so easily misunderstood by misreading the tone or intended tone, especially when one has some questions to ask a person. Most people tend to take questions as challenges, when they could simply be asking to learn or to clarify.

I continue to learn from you and others here, and hope we all get to meet someday on the water on a boat.

Regards!
Old 23-02-2018, 13:03   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

HI, Steady,

You're a valued contributor here, no matter what you call yourself, and I, too, would like to welcome your true name, for most of your reasons, in fact.

I agree with you about humour. If you're in a night club and the comedian uses sarcastic humor, that's one thing, but the use of sarcasm on a forum, where you can't see the twinkle in the eye, is felt only as a mean bite, and of course, we have the "be nice" rule, as well.

Ann
Old 23-02-2018, 13:05   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Welcome Steadman . It’s great to be able to talk to another real person, not just an avatar. I (obviously) applaud your lifting of the name veil. For a lot of reasons, I think it’s a positive move. I hope more will follow in your footsteps.

Online communication is a tricky thing. It’s hard to share subtle messages like humour, irony, sarcasm, etc. Hence the rise of emojis. Complexity is also hard to communicate. Real life issues or questions are rarely black & white, and this is as true with cruising as with anything else.

Anyway, it’s great to have your continued presence and contributions here on CF. I certainly appreciate them — and you .
Old 23-02-2018, 13:13   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

You realize with two monikers how easy it is going to be now to get in argument with yourself?
Old 23-02-2018, 13:32   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
HI, Steady,

You're a valued contributor here, no matter what you call yourself, and I, too, would like to welcome your true name, for most of your reasons, in fact.

I agree with you about humour. If you're in a night club and the comedian uses sarcastic humor, that's one thing, but the use of sarcasm on a forum, where you can't see the twinkle in the eye, is felt only as a mean bite, and of course, we have the "be nice" rule, as well.

Ann
Thank you JPA! (Wink)*

From the very first days I joined this community, I have always admired your supportive comments and your wisdom.

*You will always be "Ann" to me JPA. .
Old 23-02-2018, 13:35   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Welcome Steadman . It’s great to be able to talk to another real person, not just an avatar. I (obviously) applaud your lifting of the name veil. For a lot of reasons, I think it’s a positive move. I hope more will follow in your footsteps.

Online communication is a tricky thing. It’s hard to share subtle messages like humour, irony, sarcasm, etc. Hence the rise of emojis. Complexity is also hard to communicate. Real life issues or questions are rarely black & white, and this is as true with cruising as with anything else.

Anyway, it’s great to have your continued presence and contributions here on CF. I certainly appreciate them — and you .
Thanks Mike!

I actually thought of you (and your good example of using your name and face) when I was considering my user name change. You and the Cates and several others have obviously enjoyed years on CF while using your real names (and for some their face in a photo), so I thought it was time for me to put my name up too.

Regards!
Old 23-02-2018, 13:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You realize with two monikers how easy it is going to be now to get in argument with yourself?
Good point!

I do sometimes second guess myself when I consider responding to some posts here on CF. With "should I, or shouldn't I" post an opinion weighing in my mind. I don't have the same kind of experiences that many of you do (owning boats) so I tend to read and learn from you all over time.

Thanks for keeping the humor going on CF. I think good humor is a good thing among sailors or within groups.
Old 23-02-2018, 14:20   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Can we just call you Stead for continuity?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Can we just call you Stead for continuity?
Sure. Steady or Stead is still fine with me, among friends.
Old 23-02-2018, 14:42   #14

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Good for you.
I am still hiding from numerous ex-wives. (twinkle in my eye)
If I dont pay my taxes this year, I will also be hiding from the IRS
Old 23-02-2018, 14:42   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
:I do sometimes second guess myself when I consider responding to some posts here on CF. With "should I, or shouldn't I" post an opinion weighing in my mind.
A good share of the posts I compose never see the light of day. There are some topics where I look at what I've written and I decide to just delete it because of one of the following reasons:
  • It's some trivial detail that nobody cares about
  • Somebody already said essentially the same thing and I wouldn't be adding anything important
  • It's just too complicated to explain, and I hope somebody else will do it
  • I have an opinion, but perhaps I don't know enough for it to be valid
  • There's no point in mud-wrestling with a pig
  • Do I really want to have this argument?

I've discarded some pretty good posts!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote