Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 16:09   #1

What's She Worth?

Hello everybody, I am new her and new to anything about sailing. Today i wend to visit my first boat ! Really all i know is what i have been reading online for the past couple weeks... So i took many pictures and was hoping to get some comments from experience sailors about what they thought about the boat, what they might value it at.. It is a 1980 C@C 30ft, single owner, atomic 4. The baot looked like a mess... but i took many pictures of what i thought could help determin if this could be a good fixer upper.. Thanks for any comments or help you can provide !! The many pictures are here

https://picasaweb.google.com/1036835...eat=directlink
Dufra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What's she worth ?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dufra.

http://sailquest.com/market/models/cc30.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Answer: Not much.
What's the price?
Is that a cracked keel?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:30   #4

Its a lead keel, apparently it is normal that there is a line there... Really i dont know. The Initial asking was 17,900, now its down to 15,900.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Welcome.
the propane stove has no thermocouples and is not legal in Canada (not safe anywhere). at leat one of your throughulls is a gate valve .... not good, your head hoses are wasted and will stink in warmer weather. Your AC conductors are now 33 year old solid copper (past due date). I think you'll also find the AC main is a domestic type panel exposed to the engine and fuel compartment.

I suggest you read Marine Survey 101 and
Safe Propane Installations on Boats

Judging from the photos, I'd say you are looking at about a 8-10k boat, barring any structural issues. Typical to the model and vintage are soft wet decks (won't sink you), saturated rudder core (2k rebuild), improper grounding of the gasoline fuel system and a myriad of electrical and propane issues.

Only you can say if it's a good candidate for fixing up depending on your skill levels in the appropriate disciplines. $$$ to invest and time.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:50   #6

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic

I wouldn't assume the crack there is normal until an expert confirmed this. If you find out it's NOT normal after the sale and you have to hire a wharf to do structural repairs to the keel you'll be down another couple of thousands (the wharf will probably advise you to scrap the boat).

Apart from that every boat can be fixed, and most of the rest of the work that needs to be done doesn't seem too horrible...

Couple of things though:

- Make sure the main structural things are in decent nick. That means hull (keel and polyester delamination/osmosis), engine and rig). If it turns out the engine needs an overhaul you'll be looking at another 5k in costs if not more. If the mast turns out to have hairline cracks or has to be scrapped you're looking at 10-15k. You can buy a whole lot of paint for that money... Start with a good base, go from there.
- What's your plan with the boat? What do you want to do with her and how do you want her to look? She can be fixed, but it will take a ****ton of time, effort and most likely money to get her seaworthy. If you want to make longer voyages, you'll want some extra gear and you'll want to make some things sturdier still.

To be honest I think you'll save a lot of money, time and energy buying a boat in better shape with just some aesthetical work. However if you don't have much money but you're willing to spend the next few years working your butt off and you just want something that will take you coast-hopping on sunny days you might be fine... However, get the structural/costly things checked out first, otherwise you're bound to be in for some surprises.

And trust me, you won't be able to sell her on to somebody else at that point. Boats in this kind of shape are usually found in boat "graveyards" here in Belgium...
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Take a look at this one that sold for a lot less 2yrs ago and is in better condition. trying to upload a pdf ... don't know if that will work
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C&C 30.pdf (172.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-12-2013, 06:52   #8

Wow...after looking at those pictures, my Hunter 30 must be in immaculate condition!! That one looks pretty rough. What part of the country are you in?
mistersmith2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:58   #9

I was told the stove was alcohol, but I was not sure how to verify that. With the exception of the mast post housing that look relatively new, all else's looked pretty stock. I did see they painted it in 2004 for about 6K. Also Because it was very cold I was unable to look for softness in int deck, But i did notice the deck appears quite nice, with almost no cracking of the finish.

When i did visit she was under a tarp.
Thanks for your comment

Here is another picture
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if i were trying to buy this b oat i would offer 7500usd. that would also be contingent upon the engine function. if it works 7500usd. if not...3000usd. is a 30 ft boat with issues. do not forget these also require chain plate and mast step work.
30 ft boat without issues go for 4000 usd. market dictates price and need dictates value. how badly do you NEED this particular boat.
it is a buyers market.
i would search elsewhere. there are many 30 ft boats for sale everywhere. i have a 35 for sale. i am aware the market fell out the day after i placed mine for sale. go figger. i will not be able to get what i need to get from her so i took her off the active market.
boat owners who are trying to sell their project boats need to be aware of these facts. they are only in your favor.
have fun searching.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02   #11

The boat is in Canada, in Ontario. Spend its life in fresh water. The man that had it (single owner) died, i The Family donated it to a club... So I thinks thats why its such a mess.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 57

A lead keel in that bad shape? Hmmmmmm....

Overall, the boat seems to be in a very rough shape.
I would steer away from it no matter what the price may come down to.
OK, anything can be fixed, repaired and replaced BUT what will the overall cost of the boat be @ the end? Not to mention your time working on the boat. Others have already pointed out several things that need to be addressed NOW. IMHO add to that, an inboard gas engine and sailboat do not mix.
Restoring boats can be great fun but normally does not make financial sense.
Been there, done that, it always turned out to be a financial loss.

I would look into something that's in better shape. The initial asking price may be higher but less work and expenses later on.

I don't know if that makes sense to a new sailor. BTW, welcome to the sailors family!

Loredo
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25   #13

For some reason I can't download the pic's so I can't give my opinion on condition. Having said that pictures don't mean alot as the boat would need a proper survey. Again no picture but if the crack is between the keel and the stub it doesn't mean much, pretty normal.
The C&C 30 in good shape is a wonderful sailing boat and can still win races today. Its very stiff and carries lots of sail upwind in stiff breezes. Again if its in good condition the boat can be sailed almost anywhere as its built very decently. Its been years since I sailed and raced on these boats but I have very fond memories of them.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:18   #14

Wait until that keel falls off and the price will be reduced.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I think it could be had for a lot less ,it has a few problems but not anything that couldnt be fixed by a decent handyman..go for it ..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote