Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45   #16

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: What's she worth ?

The keel would be enough to keep me away. Given what we've seen in photos and knowing it is a donated club boat, I'd stay south of $5k. If you're going to spend closer to $10k, I think a much better boat can be found.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56   #17

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Re: What's She Worth?

You can do a lot better + end up with a diesel instead of an Atomic 4. BTW, I think you did a great job with pics, especially locating all the cracks near the bulkheads, chain plates and keel. That boat needs a ton of work and I agree with the other posters that it is worth about $5k US, max.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05   #18

Well..... it looks pretty typical for an old boat. With a diesel it might be worth $10-12k max. As is... that boat I would think 6-8k max. I have seen popular Cataline 30's go for as low as $6k with a small diesel in the recent recession in about that same condition. More likely $10-12K though.
I would keep in mind that you will probably want to have the keel dropped and rebedded and the strut for the propshaft done also.
I wouldnt panic over gate valves, although they are not "proper" by todays standards, they've probably lasted 40+ years in that boat. You can always just screw them off and put ball valves on.
Does anyone know if this is a cored hull model? I know C&C made a bunch of those and it would be something to watch out for.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10   #19

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

We have an 1979 C-30 that we had bought 2 years ago. Was a little less money but 10 times the boat you are looking at. We did get a deal and there are deals out there. Actually I had looked at a 41 ft. Hunter prior to buying the C-30. They were asking 16 and it was around the shape of the one your looking at. And there was no keel. I was thinking about it and figured I could fix it up. Glad we never bought it. The boat we have now is ready to go anytime we want to. Diesel and full sail package, fully equipped. We love it. Don't be rushed because you think it's a deal. Shop around and the right one will come along. It's a long time before you can use one anyway in Ontario.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
We have an 1979 C-30 that we had bought 2 years ago. Was a little less money but 10 times the boat you are looking at. We did get a deal and there are deals out there. Actually I had looked at a 41 ft. Hunter prior to buying the C-30. They were asking 16 and it was around the shape of the one your looking at. And there was no keel. I was thinking about it and figured I could fix it up. Glad we never bought it. The boat we have now is ready to go anytime we want to. Diesel and full sail package, fully equipped. We love it. Don't be rushed because you think it's a deal. Shop around and the right one will come along. It's a long time before you can use one anyway in Ontario.
Yeah, great advise... dont rush.. go out and look at as many as you can. that is how you figure out what the market is. You'll find that boats like the one you are looking at may not sell at all. eventually some get given away.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50   #21

This is a bad idea for a first boat. It will be discouraging.

It is absolutely astonishing how much fixing an old boat can cost. I've owned sailboat for 40 years but with all that experience -- repair bills still are double what I expect.

Try to find a boat whose owner loves his boat and is a perfectionist. I had a friend who bought a boat from the ideal previous owner. This old guy had cared for and loved that boat for 20 years but his wife had told him he was too old to keep going out alone.

The PO not only provided my friend lots of free help and advice after the sale but had a great set of sea stories.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

If you want to spend a couple $300 having somebody look for delamination in the keel stub, and the condition of keel mounting hardware.... AND... They give you the thumbs up????

Would be prudent to offer around $7k... Personally if you have $15-20k budgeted to spend, you can find something far better in sail away condition...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:54   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's She Worth?

You could get a refurbed Seafarer 34 for the original asking price of that boat.. diesel engine and ready to go... mind its not up North but down in NC...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:07   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Did anyone recommend getting a marine surveyor yet?

Unless you are really knowledgeable about boats it really is a great idea to get a professional's opinion. I've made mistakes in buying boats that would not have occurred if I'd had a survey done. I thought I was knowledgeable. But, I wasn't knosledgeable about how owners will hide issues.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do but that price seems awfully high for that boat.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51   #25

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Hi is that boat in Kingston at portsmouth (the CORK stickers). People here want a lot for boats, you can get a far better deal across the lake NY state. Mine you I bought mine here and it was in good shape less the engine. I've put almost twice purchase price in it and might get half that back if I sold. Fixing up a boat like that will be a lot of money and time if you are handy, or a great deal of money if you are not.
If you are in the Kingston area and want to talk boats you can PM me.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Did anyone recommend getting a marine surveyor yet?

Unless you are really knowledgeable about boats it really is a great idea to get a professional's opinion. I've made mistakes in buying boats that would not have occurred if I'd had a survey done. I thought I was knowledgeable. But, I wasn't knosledgeable about how owners will hide issues.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do but that price seems awfully high for that boat.
Yes, I will be sure to get a survey done on anything I decide to buy. This is actually the first boat I "ever" go to see, so I am really learning from what i saw, and from all the great comments here !! I had a feeling the price was way up there... and that even 10k seemed much... so now i am getting a confirmation that my gut feeling was right. Thanks guys !
Dufra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55   #27

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

This boat is not worth more than $3000 which is what you might be able to get if you part it out.
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote