Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 16:07   #1

Boat: looking
What's Next?

hello all,

I am new to all this, and definitely have lots of questions. I have been reading the discussions on this website for years and it keeps my dream in motion.

I just moved from Canada to Stuart,Florida for work, house is up for sale in Toronto and once it sells the plan is to buy min 34ft, and jump on as a liveaboard. but I am very green, I have been around and on various boats all my life, but never owned or operated a sailboat.

my wife and I have no kids and I am 38 years old, time to start living a dream I have dreamed of since I was a small guy.

so...did all of you take sailing lessons? through a school? or are there people out there who will teach on their vessel for cheaper?

so may questions...lol
Capt. Tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 16:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: what's next?

Most agree that the best and quickest learning to sail is on a 8' to 12' sailing dinghy. The response to your actions will be immediate and you will soon pick it up. 'best of all would be a sailing course that teaches sailing on these small boats.
Old 14-05-2013, 00:08   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I agree with the Dinghy concept. Just read a lot here and in libraries. There are tons of boats in Fl. Prices are still low but may be increasing slowly as the economy and manufacturing returns. I am also a Canuck transplant...Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 00:18   #4

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch

I was where you were at 2 years ago. My first boat was an S&S 34. I took a 5 day competent crew sailing course and off I went with no previous experience. It's really not that hard to actually sail. The maintenance, Breakdowns, and finer points are the harder parts but you learn as you go. I now liveaboard a 36ft Samson Cshell and have quit my job this week to start my cruising dream for the next few years at least. A lot of it comes down to your resillience and how quickly you pick things up.
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 13:41   #5

Boat: looking

you guys are all awesome!! thanks for the tips and feedback. all signed up for sailing lessons...
Capt. Tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 11:07   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: What's Next?

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I think most all of the folks here on Cruisers Forum started sailing in several different ways.
I started by joining the Navy with my first ship being a 390 foot long destroyer. I didn't actually start sailing until I took a basic sailing course nine years after that and I took that on an inland lake in Germany. It was nine years later that I bought my first 22 foot sailboat. There was a lot of military and family stuff and places that got in the way of doing this a bit faster.
Hope you can find your "best" way.
kind regards,