Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 04:28   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: What Would You Do W/ $700K

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
"Animal spirits"as Keynes was quoted saying, is what always concerns me with markets. Fundamentals seem to be less powerful than these "animal spirits". The problem of course is if the main driving force isnt good fundamentals then the market can heavily revert (quickly) when the animal spirits dissappear.

Its easy to see when "animal spirits " are running the show, look at valuations.
The market does often behave like a naive investor "spirit"....and that creates buy/sell opportunities. Like the recent "FAANG"/social media stocks radical devaluation.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:32   #92

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The market does often behave like a naive investor "spirit"....and that creates buy/sell opportunities. Like the recent "FAANG"/social media stocks radical devaluation.
The FAANGS amongst others have been very disconnected from reality for quite sometime. Tesla is the classic example of a massive disconnection.

The sad thing is slowly people are believing this is normal. The higher above historic norms valuations are the further they drop below historic norms upon correction. But it's different this time, right?

We are certainly in historic times.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:45   #93
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

ahistorical would be more accurate
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49   #94

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
If we could get a fair election, we wouldn't need to move.
Just move and stop wasting your life away complaining. You only get so many years. Canada? Sweden?

Move along.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Just move and stop wasting your life away complaining. You only get so many years. Canada? Sweden?
Move along.
A relatively recent result of news media in the US would have people absurdly picking one of two sides. One of the benefits of floating across a big ocean is leaving all that nonsense behind. Perhaps most of the critical thinkers have already sailed away, $700K or no $700K?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:04   #96

I'd spend $250K on a liveaboard boat and provisioning, then stick the rest into a conservative investment with a yield to reinvest...
Carrie
WatrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 21:28   #97

Well, because this's a deep and serious subject, I waited to allow it to percolate a few days to best share with my esteemed colleagues the most fundamentally-productive advice I heard so far.

Each morning, while sitting on the porch with the dogs, I call upon their combined wisdom to fiddle with some particular puzzle of d'jour day. This morning, I asked the '700k' question.

After much discussion, the dogs came to a unanimous decision. The best investment is tennis balls.

Because they have a high rate of return.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:03   #98

Bukowski
Dainius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:00   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post

Move along.
Canada...Not an option! Would have to be someplace warm with a stable government! Now that really narrows it down!!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:57   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Good luck getting 5%. The Trinity study etc. concluded 4% historically, and many think that may not hold up in the coming years. I'm still fairly optimistic at 4%, but lots are planning for 3% or less in the early retirement community in part due to current valuations but also because the 4% was based on only lasting for a 30 year period to "not run out" in that time.
You're talking about something completely different. The Trinity Study was trying to determine a "Safe Withdrawal Rate". You absolutely will get more than 5% from the stock market averaged over the long-term (baring a total paradigm shift in how our markets work anyway).

Wether those returns are enough to safely withdraw a smaller percentage, annually, and have your money beat inflation and last ~30 years is another question.

Personally, I'd put my $700K into Vanguard and revisit the question in five years. I don't have a good use for that sort of money today since I'm not ready to cut the lines for good.

I'd probably splurge on the next charter though and nab a 55' to 60' boat for a week with more family along for the ride.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:35   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Let's see if 700K fell into my lap, I would give 1/2 to homeless shelters, buy a $30k boat, spend $20k fix'n it up and spend the next 10-20 years sailing using the remainder..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello to all | Hi »