Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 23:16   #1
Kor

what type of license or papers needed for International sailing getting out of U.S

I'd be really appreciate If anyone can help me with some of my questions.
What kind of paper, certificates or license would be needed if sailing out of the US waters to say, Bahamas, to the Caribbeans? International I mean!
Old 15-07-2020, 07:23   #2

Re: what type of license or papers needed for International sailing getting out of U.

The classic paperwork package is a British yachtmasters , gmdss radio certificate , stcw safety certificate plus a seaman’s book

A seaman book is very powerful

Each nationality ..flag state has slightly different protocols

Ask one of the sea school outfits in your region for guidance

Uscg rules can be a bit dense

https://www.superyachtcrewagency.com...arge-book/7736
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 12:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: what type of license or papers needed for International sailing getting out of U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor View Post
What kind of paper, certificates or license would be needed if sailing out of the US waters to say, Bahamas, to the Caribbeans? International I mean!
are you an American sailing from an American port on an American registered vessel?

If the answer to all of the above is yes then nothing is needed to leave the country . However you should research the procedures for entering the country you are going to .
Personally for a first stop I would go to Puerto Rico it is a us territory so no different than going from Florida to Texas.
Old 31-07-2020, 02:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor View Post
Interesting for my client! Will follow this thread!
BigPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 05:45   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I did a three day course of basic keel boat sailing. Sailed in a lake when I could for five years. Retired and bought 38 foot boat and sailed Caribbean Single handed for three years then went through Panama Canal. After a slow 11 years sailing finished circumnavigation. Half of that also singlehanded before sharing the adventure with my new Filipina wife. Still only have had that three day course.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 05:55   #6

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Newhaul has it - if you are a US boat with US crew, you don't need anything to leave the US - getting into other countries (such as the Bahamas) will normally require a passport for each person aboard plus some form of ship's documentation (USCG document or State registration). You will also need to fill in some forms and pay some fees. The actual process and requirements vary widely from country to country (especially for stuff like pets and cargo), so you should check in advance to see what the requirements are where you intend to go.
Unless you are carrying passengers for hire, you won't need any sort of license.

Getting back into the US will require the same (assuming you stopped in another country while you were out), though you will need (or be forced to purchase when you come in) a CBP Decal instead of paying a fee. If you plan on coming back in, I would recommend looking into the "CBP Roam" program - which has worked a treat for us the last few years.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 06:24   #7

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

You'll need a passport for each person aboard and proof you own, or have the right to operate, the boat.

No operator's licence or proof of competence is required.

I suggest your first international trip should be to the Bahamas as it is only 50 miles from Florida.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:53   #8

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Bahamas and Caribbean are the most visited cruising grounds for Americans and they make ton of money from us. They don't enforce any kind of license because they don't want to deter people to coming in and spending money. Most anywhere else in the World you need to show a certificate of competency of some kind which makes a lot of sense.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 15:16   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...rse-tp-14692-e
Old 01-08-2020, 19:52   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

We got typically asked to show:
- a boat registration document,
- passports,

If using marinas:
- an insurance,

In some destinations:
- vaccinations (yellow book).

I never ever got asked to show my competence papers (skipper's, vhf, etc) of any sort. (???) Small boat I guess.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 22:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As others have said you don't need anything but a boat to leave the US as a US citizen. Outside the US you definitely should get a Zarpe, exit papers, from any country you are leaving. A Zarpe is often needed to get clearance into the next country you get to. The countries want to see that you left your previous country without a cloud over you and may kick you out without a Zarpe.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 23:19   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

if travelling internationally you will always need port clearance from your last port when you arrive at your destination.

this in addition to
- passport
- vessel registration papers (international registry - not state)

usually all sorts of other details (eg quarantine, customs) for individual locations.

do lots of research concerning the exact destination !

cheers,
Old 02-08-2020, 08:53   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. The zarpe thing also called clearance from your last harbour.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, sail, sailing