Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 12:42   #1

Well I guess I’ll ask a question!

I’m 65 and in pretty good health. I have been reading Sail - net and Cruisers Forum, with U- tube, but most of it is not me.
I know many of you are full of the love of life and yet there are some here have never lived.
In that mind set I have my arrow proof vest on!
I have a year before I go forth and with that understanding, I will go forth! I’ll take a year fixing and learning and then watch out I may be coming your way.
I have looked at so many boats I cannot say; trying to determine which you do I want to spent the last years of my life on.
Now to the meat:
Islander Freeport 36 - I love this boat, but no inside steering; I’m thinking auto pilot and I know what if it fails. The swing up swim platform just knocks me out, what better way to get on board. Pilothouse room and view, 5’ or 5.5’ keel. It is just begging great loop, you can install a Tabernacle. One just sold in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Dam it, not ready yet.
Islander Freeport 41 - I love the Ketch design I think so graceful and small sails, but will need a bow thruster and may be a little large for just one, but god it is beautiful.
Allmand 35 Pilothouse – Some of the same things as far as needs but inside steering and I think not to bad to get on board with the stern latter, but does have a large cockpit.
Pearson Pilothouse – It is not as good getting on board and again needs a Tabernacle but a dam good looking boat.
Mariner Pilothouse Sloop – Same things but I get a woody just looking at her.
Catamaran - As I look at these I think easy of sailing, level and stable. Most are bigger then I want, but there are some I think could fit right in.
Oceanic 30 - Ketch design, you know I like that. I did not say this, but should have; gasoline makes me nervous, so diesel is what I think is best, unless you say otherwise.
Prout Quest 33 – No Ketch design but I think a Tabernacle could be made to work. Both are not as easy to get abroad as I would like, but we all make compromises, YES.
Gemini – Again, no Ketch design but I think a Tabernacle could be made to work and some may already have it. Not too hard to get on board and I don’t think too big as well. I do think they are proud of them, but if I squeeze a little I could afford many of them.
DEAN 33 Ocean Comber – This could work as well, may be better than most of the others.
A little more about me – worked for 7 years as a machinist long ago. Worked construction for 30, everything from concrete forms to heavy equipment, built 3 homes and updated I don’t know how many. I do like projects while I live where I’m working; that is part of the fun. I lived all across the country and like people, but would rather not get to personal ( I fix problems) and for most I find they don’t like the truth. I have family in Hawaii, but don’t think it is god’s gift to the world (sorry), but may want to try and get there for the hell of it. SOOOOO if I die on board what more could you ask, other than may be not dying. O.K. I’m ready have at me, Dreamer
Tulsa Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 19:38   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Well I guess I’ll ask a question!

So what was the question Welcome to CF, dreamer. It seems your main criteria is inside steering. If you have an MFD (chart plotter) inside at the nav station and a reliable auto pilot, then you can steer by push button while keeping an eye out, say by sitting under the dodger in the companionway. Most people I know who have an inside wheel say they never use it...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 20:25   #3

The what if comes into play, lightning, power or failure of either of the two control systems.
As to the question, which of these boats for someone of my age and lack of knowledge affords the best chance for success in the year or so timeline I have set forth to go out cruising? Now; not out into the big blue right away but maybe later on and it will be my home.
Old 05-10-2018, 21:31   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well... where are you and what kind of budget are you thinking of? I am guessing you'll be living off of retirement income? It would be nice to know what you want in the way of performance too. The Islander 36 and 41 are fairly different designs, the 36 being the more nimble with the fin keel and skeg...
Just a question, when you say "tabernacle" are you referring to the mechanism that allows you to lower the mast(s) or the "binnacle" for wheel steering? With a little more info on your preferences, folks will find it easier to give you well-informed ideas. Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 23:36   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Too many things to hit at once, but I'll ask, why do you want inside steering? I assume your goal might more likely be to enjoy sailing and anchor life etc.... ie good weather knowledge and routing will make it so you don't need indoor steering ever. But then also look into a center cockpit (altho at those sizes I don't know...). Our center cockpit buttons up tight from all sides; we've sailed in mediterranean winter storms playing cards up there. Not fun, and had we been cruising instead of bringing our new boat home we wouldn't have had to do that (my first point for you above), but no less protected than being downstairs.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 00:24   #6

Fair enough, looking at 50 – 75 grand for the boat and of course lower is better. Should have 200 in the bank and 2500 a month income. I have little to no knowledge of sailing, but will have the time to learn with no need to rush. I meant a way to lower the mast(s) as indicated I think I would like to do the loop slow and easy just to get things started. I live in NC, 3 to 4 hours to Norfolk or most other coastal locations. I plan on working one more year (maybe) I was thinking find what I would like in a boat and spend some time fixing and playing with it while working. Then make the move and start really learning how to sail it as a live aboard. As to the question about inside steering; I think that doing the loop and inter coastal waterways would make things a little easier down the road. You need to plan ahead and at my age I think these boats designs have it where I can move around them fairly well as life moves on. I should have said that there is not much I can't do with my hands.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dreamer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 21:12   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I hope someone will chime in here with ICW experience from your area, because I have none. I am curious to know how much clearance, "air draft," you'll have between where you are and FLA, and whether you'll need a tabernacle, or hinged mast step.
I like the Pearson 36 Pilothouse idea for you too. Pearson has a good rep and it is a fairly shallow draft boat, which could be beneficial for where you are headed. That shallower draft also means the rig (mast) is not so tall but I'd have to look up what it is.
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote