Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 19:12   #1

Boat: Researching trawlers...looking at Nordhavns and Krogens
Wahooooooo!!

Hello all!

After lurking here a little while garnering bits and pieces of info I thought that I'd introduce myself. Mainly because I shall be asking all sorts of questions for quite a while.

Currently I'm aquiring information for a multi year ( 5 - 7 ) circumnavigation that I'm planning. Though my background is sailboat racing ( J-24, Farr 40, Melges 24, Lasers, Thistles, and a few others), I've decided that a passage-making trawler is the way to go. I've narrowed my boat selection to the following...

Nordhavn 47, 55, or 57 ( new or pre-owned)
Krogen 58 ( new)

So anyway...just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to getting to know you all.

Wahoo
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 19:43   #2

Boat: next
Hello,
First post for me...........

Anyway, Jim is a great guy and has the best boats!!!! GET THE NORD... you wont be sorry.

Best Regards,
Jerry
airacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 20:01   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
G'day Wahoo,
Welcome, isn't nice to stop lurking and "out" yourself...good luck with the information gathering excerise.
From another recent lurker - now poster.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 23:33   #4

Thanks guys...I agree..the Nordy guys have been great...as have the Krogen...I'm looking forward to Trawlerfest ( Wash) and getting on some.

It's a hard hard choice...especially w/ my learning curve.

Wahoo
Old 03-02-2008, 03:04   #5

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Our neighbors (and the only other Americans) in Almerimar marina in southern Spain crossed the Atlantic last year and are planning to continue east on a Nordhavn 55. You may find some interesting information on their blog: Home

Jim
Old 03-02-2008, 09:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have friends with Nordhavn and Krogen boats. They seem quite happy with them. You might add Flemming to the list as well. Passage Maker magazine would be a publication you should follow.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:05   #7

Jim,

I've been following Salty Dogs blog for a while, as well as a host of others. There seems to be a great many Nordys' that have blogs. At least more than there are Korgens.

Pblais:

Looked at Flemings, but as they are semi-displacement I've ruled them out.

Thanks to you both.
Old 03-02-2008, 13:03   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Wahoo,
Welcome aboard! Looks like you are getting positive responses to your post about Nordhavens and Krogens. I'm not familiar with them but normally I point to the advantages of boats 36 and under for ease of handling and economy. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Good luck in your search.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:08   #9

John,

As my trip will be 5- 7 yrs, and knowing myself, I need a little more room and modern conveniences than anything 36' would offer. Plus finding a 36' PM trawler w/ the kind of range would be very difficult to find.

When I first had the dream to do this, after reading 'Dove', my thought was to do it via sailboat. But having some some cruising on them I decided that I didn't want to live in a cave for 5-7 yrs, plus standing watch in a nice cool/warm/dry wheelhouse has a certain charm to it. I learned in the Navy that there is alway ample time to be uncomfortable, why do it to yourself if you don't have to <lol>.

Thanks for the input!!

Wahoo
Old 04-02-2008, 12:43   #10

Boat: CT 38
Greetings folks
I accidently came across this site while doing research on anchors to replace my CQR copy. I have a CT38. It's a great little bluewater performance cruiser,not to be confused with it's larger more popular cousin the CT41!
I'm in southern California and most of my sailing so far has been local coastal cruising from Santa Barbara to Ensenada Mexico and the Channel Islands. I do plan on expanding my horizons soon. First stop will be the Baja Haha for my first extended journey this year.
It seems like a great community and I look forward to trading stories and equipment reviews with you all.
Oh yeah! I ended up getting a "Rocna 20kg" anchor.
kevball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:35   #11

Thanks again all, I appreciate the welcome and am looking forward to being a nuisance w/ all my questions <lol>.

I had looked at catamarans and tbh, I just like the feel of a PM trawler. Plus, I like many of the amenities available. Most of the PMTs ( passage-making trawlers) I am looking at have at least a 3000 nm range and that can even be extended by slowing down. So, they aren't as thirsty as one might think.

My goal, and this is if I get the boat (delivery or other) in Fla is to start w/ some coastal cruising, Bahamas and Exumas, Caribb, then through The Ditch and up the West Coast to Cali. Once in Cali get the boat all ready for the hop to the Marquesas. Then down the coast of Mex and make my way to the So Pac.

Now if I were to take possession of the boat on the Left Coast, depending on the time of year, I would either cruise Mex and Central America OR head up to Alaska, then end up in Cali to prep the boat for the hop to the So Pac.

Again, any suggestions or thoughts would be gratefully received.

Wahoo
Old 09-02-2008, 12:54   #12

Hi again Wahoo,
How's the fuel to hour/nautical mile ratio for the boats you are seeking? Also when is it that you might be starting out on this journey? Will fuel prices now and in the future be an issue for you or is it of no concern?
I choose to sail because I like the feel of a sailboat under my feet and the economy it provides while cruising. When I was living aboard a 35 many years ago, I found myself off the boat considerably more of the time than on the boat. I also found that when living in homes and apartments/condos that I was not in them as much as I was out of doors. That made me believe that I didn't need all the space in the boat. I'm not trying to convince you as to what you want to use for your cruising platform but am just stating my experiences and opinion.
Good luck in your search.
JohnL
Old 09-02-2008, 14:16   #13

JohnL:

Any input is always appreciated...keep it up!

A friend of mine who has a Nordy 55 ( www.alwaysfriday.com ) was getting a 6.2 gal burn per hour at 1650 - 1700 rmp w/ the generators running at 7.5 - 8kts. Costs concern me, but they're not a hindrance...if that makes any sense.

I'm hoping to be able to shove in a few years, 2010 or 2011. Between now and then I'll be taking marine diesel mechanics, marine systems, weather, first aid, ham lic, and perhaps a USGC cert course. Along w/ being a racer, I had a commision in the USN for 4 yrs active, and 6 reserv...but that was a while ago and I really need to brush up.

< now I just need to find the right gal to come along!>

Wahoo
Old 09-02-2008, 14:31   #14

Good you are thinking this through and you have plenty of time sir. Some of my best friends and crew were Navy officers but I remained enlisted and retired as CM/C NAVSTA Pearl.
Regards,
JohnL
Old 09-02-2008, 16:13   #15

JohnL:

Thinking it through...I sure as hell trying to. It's one of the reasons I'm here on this board, I'm an info junkie...

I had thought about, and am still considering going from Cali to Hawaii...then down to the Marquesas...though from what I understand crusing the islands is difficult because of lack of good harbours. I'd love to get up to that new National Park that is north of you near Midway...suppose to be some amazing diving.

There is a guy, Ken Williams, who will be heading your way in a new Nordhavn 69 in year or so as a first stop on his circumnavigation. Talkspot If you are really into the techno part of boats, his site is chocked full of it...he also has a blog that he e-mails out.

Wahoo