Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2004, 04:52   #16

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Hang on a minute Amphibian, I'm runnin to the barn to look for my moped and my speedo I'm sure I can still fit on my moped LOL

Greg B
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 05:48   #17
Captain

While waiting for junior, mod-mama took the liberty of editing title of thread.

Need opinions on what to do with this (see my previous post).

Amphibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 08:54   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
CSY Man’s initial “cry for help” was not very convincing…
He-he, ya don't belive me?

Well, I don't have much against whores, in fact way back when I was a Merchant Marine Sailor, I uh.....Never mind...
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 10:44   #19

Amphibian,

Why do you have to do anything about it...seems to me that we are taking care of it just fine...and having a great laugh while we do!
kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 11:13   #20

Ah, she ljust likes to tinker with stuff and to take care of her "children"...That be us.

Must be the mother instinct....

Quote:
were good at solving electrical problems on boats then we would have a done deal!!!!!
Well, I am pretty good with DC stuff on boats, have re-wired part of my electrical system and installed a bunch of expensive gizzmos.
Staying away from AC stuff however. Seen 2 boats recently that caught fire in the AC system, that could kill ya.

What seems to be the problem on yer boat...?

GordMay is actually the man to talk to, but not sure he is voluptous and sensual enough, but he knows about electrical thingies.
Old 24-08-2004, 13:30   #21

Depth gauge that isn't working but it isn't the sensor or the gauge itself...there is something in the wiring but I can't find the problem...haven't given up yet though, but, gawd, what I would give for someone to just ride their little moped up and tackle that problem...sensual I can handle, but i am a wimp when it comes to electrical stuff! I don't even know enough to figure out what to ask for help! So instead I think I'll just go sailing...
Old 24-08-2004, 14:49   #22

Well, Mr. Gord....Crank up that moped and help a lady in distress..
Old 24-08-2004, 14:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi Kokopelli, maybe the cord isn't long enough to allow the transducer to touch the bottom. Lengthen the lead and you should be back in business.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 15:02   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh and Amphibian, those sales quotes cam off the top of my head. Do you think I have had too many bad experieances??

Old 24-08-2004, 17:43   #25

Just got back in from a quick sail...thought sure I'd find someone on a moped waiting to help...darn!

Maybe you're right that the cord isn't long enough to touch bottom...or maybe i should just get a stick...that's how it was done as a kid in a little rowboat...never had any failures with that stick either...LOL
Old 24-08-2004, 18:34   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Untill the stick gets stuck in the mud and the boat is passing underneath you and you have a split second decision to make, 'Do I stay with the stick or the boat' and wouldn't ya know it, ya stay with the stick.

Old 24-08-2004, 20:38   #27

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Depth sounder

I used to sell mopeds and depth sounders at some time. The 180 Vespa was the unit to get, this was before the Japanese starting building them. On the boat somewhere you have 12 volts, the starting point would be the battery. A cheap tester is easy to use and check for 12 volts. The guy in the store can tell you how to do this. Follow the wyres that lead to the depth sounder unit, there is probably a fuse along the way. Keep checking for 12 volts. If the power goes all the way to the unit and it does not turn on then there is something wrong with the unit. If there is no power then it is somewhere in the wyres to the unit. If the unit turns on and gives funny readings it could be with the connection to the transducer or if the transducer is stuck to the floor ( hull ) it could have come partly unstuck. A bit of detective work and more info might lead to the problem. You can borrow a transducer and hang it over the side as a test. The unit may need to be taken to the fixit shop. Good luck BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 01:49   #28
Captain

Wonderful!!! Every morning I log on the office pc, get a cup of coffee and expectantly open this forum first. Today I was very happy to find action and fun.

Kokopelli – I only “worry” about this thread because it is in the welcome section. Meaning that the title “erotic encounter with a sensual lady” may be somewhat misleading to newcomers! One option was moving it to a more secluded place and keep on partying, but nobody’s taken offense yet and voted for that, so here we are.

CSY Man – tinker, hmmm, gave it some thought, you’re probably right. Mothering, hmmm, not in its traditional meaning, but something like that, I guess. Hmmm.

Wheels – I’ve gotta praise your knack of turning observations/experiences into fun reading!!! You surely don’t mean you have been through all that? Good heavens.

BC Mike – too bad you live so far from the Carib, seems like our lady in distress here could use some practical action instead of words in cyberspace.

Now I’ll go visit some seaplane bases while you kids are asleep.
Amphibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 02:13   #29

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
kokopelli once whispered in the wind:
solving electrical problems on boats
The following books are worth a good read, and may help to shed some light on your problem:

Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems
The 12-Volt Bible for Boats

I also have a copy of the 12v Doctors practical handbook as a pdf (but it is 10mb)
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 02:48   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Depth Sounders

As BCMike suggests, once you’ve confirmed power to the Instrument, you’re likely problem might be the Transducer or cables.

See the previous thread at: http://cruisersforum.com/showthread....t=Depthsounder

The primary rule of troubleshooting - Do the simplest thing first.
Instrument ‘On’ ? Power available ? Check all battery switches and circuit breakers, especially those on remote panels.
Next you can start tracing circuits, looking for loose connections or severed wires, a job that’s a lot easier if you have a multimeter aboard. You won’t need a degree in electrical engineering to use it, just a knowledge of basic electricity. For instance, the ohm scale measures resistance, so a reading of zero means an open circuit. The voltage reading should coincide with system voltage; if it doesn’t, you’ve probably got a loose or corroded connection. Most multimeters (circuit testers) come with an explanatory pamphlet that walks you through the steps.

Sorry, I can’t offer any “deeper” practical DIY insights.

Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote