Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 17:01   #1

Vicarious Voyager:

Hello,

I join you as a vicarious voyager…can’t get Lady Wings away from all her pursuits (quilter…hard to get her machines, tables etc. on a boat). My dream of living aboard and making the Great Loop will have to be experienced through others posting on the internet. All isn’t without a boat however; I do have a boat up on Lake Livingston and enjoy fishing and entertaining the grandkids.

I am a retired corporate pilot…I flew for an oil company for thirty nine years and have seen the under belly of the world. The Good Lord knew we would need oil so He put it in all the worst places in the world…jungles, deserts, arctic and in deep oceans…not many five star hotels in these places. Many of our ocean crossing were at night…they ate / slept…we flew through the night. Then we slept, they worked and we moved on…a really great way to see the world. Seriously it was a great life…and I truly mean that.

So…now I do a little consulting, spend time up at the lake and dream about cruising…thanks for letting me join your joy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00117.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00111.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2885  

seawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
All isn’t without a boat however
You had me worried there for a moment. It's mostly about showing up is the way I see it. We all do what we can, the way we can, in a way that works. Some trips are short so you go more often. Some of the best ones we take are to places we have been many times.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome Aboard!

Wow...39 years. Thats pretty impressive.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:52   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Seawings, It sounds like you have had a very interesting life... I could probably live vicariously through some of your own exploits.. Nice to have you on board.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:22   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I suggest you crew for others on their boat and do the Great Loop in bite sized chunks.
www.kloosh.com
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:43   #6

Boat: B24
<as a vicarious voyager…>

Welcome… been one all my life and for reasons roughly similar to yours… was going to bag it all when I retired from the military nearly twenty years ago – moved aboard, but lost the bubble chasing the relationship of the moment and never got out of the Bay (well barely, but only for a peek…). Am once again sneaking up on the notion – albeit probably an abbreviated version… `til they drain the oceans, there always hope…
Old 05-03-2008, 10:18   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Good luck seawings,
Family Buy in is my problem too. If I could get the wife to agree to go I'd be gone. You know how to make rock soup don't you? That is the recipe I'm using to get the wife to buy in. Why don't we go charter a boat in Florida, "OK sounds great." After a couple of times If we only had a boat of our own . . . "OK lets get a little one." Show her a big boat and tehn say we can't get this one so lets go look at some smaller one's. She fell in love with the big one. We bought the boat in Canada and crusied it up there where she had gone to school." . . . plan is working . . . "kids don't you want to learn to surf -- in Mexico." "We can go anywhere you want to Sweetie as long as it has a coast." "The Med" "Sure" It's easier to get there by going downwind is something I haven't told her yet.

Anyway I'm somewhere in the learn to surf get the boat to Mexico stage of making rock soup. I'll let you know how it tastes

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24   #8
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome seawings. I am sure that you can provide some helpful insights on security etc. in various areas of the planet that we will all benefit from. As to convincing your wife - have you given any thought to a bareboat charter? There are often people on this sight looking for others to share the expenses of a boat and the experience of some fair-weather sailing/holidaying in a beautiful setting might just open her eyes to the possibilites.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 18:15   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Seawings,
Welcome aboard! Hope you can find some info here.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote