Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 11:46   #1

ulterior motive

Hi Everybody

I am happily on dry land in South Africa while my beloved Dufour 39 (FRERS 1984) is in Greece, already on the hard, as if the winter was neigh! My ulterior motive for joining the forum is because I need to find a solution for my boat, which has started to become unaffordable. My original intention was to sail from Belgium where I lived for many years, back to SA, but due to family health problems, my stay aboard was intercepted in Mallorca. I am wondering about all the learner sailors who need to log sea miles, or people who want to sail, but have no boat, to help me sail Freebird back to South Africa. I have paid twice for crew, but thrice means selling the boat, which is looking too likely for my liking at the moment. Anyone any inspiration?

Cheers, have fun out there!
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 11:50   #2
cruiser

What a great opportunity for an American (if you take those kind... ha ha) to experience some exotic travel.

There is a "crew wanted" section buried somewhere in this board. Don't forget to post it in there. I'd assume you would be able to find plenty of people interested in this offer.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 11:53   #3

She would make a great sail-training boat!
Old 28-08-2008, 11:58   #4

Hi Cpt S

Well I went that route, trying to find crew from Mallorca to Greece and found it fairly difficult to co-ordinate with people who answered. You know how it goes with sailing, delays etc
Old 28-08-2008, 12:25   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Nikki,
Welcome aboard! When do you want to set sail? Is this a short notice type of situation?
Hopefully you'll get lots of responses.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 12:26   #6

Nikki,

A couple recently posted on this forum looking for a 3 month charter in order to sail the Med. Maybe they could help you with a delivery. Good luck.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 11:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Nikki,
Welcome aboard! When do you want to set sail? Is this a short notice type of situation?
Hopefully you'll get lots of responses.
Kind regards,
JohnL
I am paid up in Preveza Marine (on the hard) until Feb next year, which is when I can possibly go south. I'm feeling around for options I guess...
Thnx for the reply!
Old 29-08-2008, 11:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Nikki,

A couple recently posted on this forum looking for a 3 month charter in order to sail the Med. Maybe they could help you with a delivery. Good luck.
Hi, something along these lines...thanks
Old 29-08-2008, 11:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
What a great opportunity for an American (if you take those kind... ha ha) to experience some exotic travel.
Sometimes I don't get you Sully..............

Welcome to the forum Nikki, I'm sure you'll find many good souls looking for a bit of adventure and will happily pay for a chance to sail a passage with you.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 12:53   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
You guys are all a bunch of optimists. Here you are ecouraging Nikki to invite stranger(s) aboard for what will be just a romp of some 8500 miles. What's that... 3 months time with no travel or boat problems, but more than likely 4 months or longer?

In this case a true adventurer is required who won't slit Nikki's throat in the process.

NIkki, if I were you I'd ask family or friends to give you a hand and now that I'm done with advice I have a question. If you made it as far as Mallorca, why is the boat now 1600 kilometers further away from your intended destination?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 15:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
You guys are all a bunch of optimists. Here you are ecouraging Nikki to invite stranger(s) aboard for what will be just a romp of some 8500 miles. What's that... 3 months time with no travel or boat problems, but more than likely 4 months or longer?

In this case a true adventurer is required who won't slit Nikki's throat in the process.

NIkki, if I were you I'd ask family or friends to give you a hand and now that I'm done with advice I have a question. If you made it as far as Mallorca, why is the boat now 1600 kilometers further away from your intended destination?
Hi Rick. I am working on your advice re friends to sail with. No harm in throwing my stranger option to the wind to see what blows back, I thought. Still, I'm not exactly naive about sharing my space with personalities, I've been around in that sense.
The med 'detour' occured as I was planning to hang around there for a bit anyway. Family concerns caused me to have to be in SA, which is why I have to sell the boat or bring her back to SA on a low budget. Looks like Suez from where I am now and maybe a lengthy stop in Tanzania or Mozambique>which will not so entail an endless passage. Besides, the pirates can also make a boat alter course and then it's like that!
Old 30-08-2008, 16:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Sometimes I don't get you Sully..............

Welcome to the forum Nikki, I'm sure you'll find many good souls looking for a bit of adventure and will happily pay for a chance to sail a passage with you.
Thanks Joli
Yes, I also believe there are many good souls around...
Old 30-08-2008, 18:07   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Nothing travels as well as a suitcase full of cash...

Without knowing the details of the boat market in Europe or South Africa your boat should fetch a pretty penny in Europe, while that money could go a long way in S.A.

Why not sell and buy again when you are ready to sail?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 18:20   #14
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Looks like Suez from where I am now and maybe a lengthy stop in Tanzania or Mozambique>which will not so entail an endless passage. Besides, the pirates can also make a boat alter course and then it's like that!
The latest reports have those pesky pirates of Somalia operating more than 200 miles from shore. I realize you save 1000 kilometers with this route, but the other way around appears much safer. Go West dear Nikki ... go West (then south).

Actually, I favor Boracay's advice. sell the boat, take the profit and buy a ticket to America where you can hang out with many of the pirates on this forum before assuming family responsibilities in SA. This sounds like the prudent option...
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 08:57   #15

UM/FREEBIRD for sail or for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Without knowing the details of the boat market in Europe or South Africa your boat should fetch a pretty penny in Europe, while that money could go a long way in S.A.

Why not sell and buy again when you are ready to sail?
OOPS attachment problems, I think. I have only owned Freebird for 2 years and in this time I have devoted time and money to make her into a cosy home, as well as a comfy & fast cruising boat. Difficult to part with, plus I am up for adventure myself, Madagascar, Kenya, Mozambique...
But yes, as I do not have that much time on my hands, selling would be a sensible option. j