Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 06:24   #1

Travel to Santorini

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and have been reading all the helpful information about cruising in Greece. My husband and I will be sailing in the Cyclades for two weeks in September and have decided to use the ferry to get to Santorini. We are thinking of leaving the chartered yacht in Paros or Naxos overnight to do this. A few questions:
Which is the better island to leave the yacht and travel to Santorini from? Is there somewhere better?
Is one night enough?
Thanks.
Rojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 06:47   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Travel to Santorini

Folgandros is another you can leave it in.

Yes its better to just do it by ferry. The marina is too shallow and out of the way, there is no close anchorage thats easy in the bay below santorini.

The whole thing of Santorini is the view as you arrive and the look up the steps etc. That can only really be done by ferry.
If you do it on your boat you drive to Santorini in a bus. Thas just not the same.

Anyway its no big deal, its certainly not as nice as some of the other islands. The whole place was destroyed in 1967 and been replaced by similar looking buildings that happen to be all resorts. So its not a real 'authenitc' greek village in that sense.

Go and enjoy it, but do it by ferry and be a package tourist for the day

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 02:25   #3

Thank you.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:32   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Mark really has his stuff together.
kind regards,
Old 30-07-2011, 12:12   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Folgandros is another you can leave it in.

Yes its better to just do it by ferry. The marina is too shallow and out of the way, there is no close anchorage thats easy in the bay below santorini.

The whole thing of Santorini is the view as you arrive and the look up the steps etc. That can only really be done by ferry.
If you do it on your boat you drive to Santorini in a bus. Thas just not the same.

Anyway its no big deal, its certainly not as nice as some of the other islands. The whole place was destroyed in 1967 and been replaced by similar looking buildings that happen to be all resorts. So its not a real 'authenitc' greek village in that sense.

Go and enjoy it, but do it by ferry and be a package tourist for the day
God Bless ya Mark , but you could not be more wrong in just about all of this post-and that’s rare!
I just left Santroni about a month ago the depth is 10 feet as you go in, more than enough for most yachts- And there are some free moorings just under OIA, 3-4 of them, so its possible to pick one up there- I Anchored below Oia for more than 2.5 months , Near the little church on the small Island under Oia, I just had to run a line ashore, so this is possible also-Folks have anchored in this spot for hundreds of years although most folks don’t know about it-
The earth quake that happen in 1957 (not 67) was bad but not that bad most of the buildings in Oia stand intact, many with little damage My ex Girlfriend lives here all her life and its very much a Little Greek Village to this day- but it does have its tourists-and resorts, like most of Greece- Ive spent most of the last 5 years in the Greek Islands and its always wonderful to sail in under Oia - So I recommend sail there, its a 50/50 chance you will pick u a mooring- or go to the marina & rent car for 30e a day and see the whole island- the Marina costs are only 15 euros a day- it does not get much better than this - in many ways
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 14:52   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I just left Santroni about a month ago the depth is 10 feet as you go in, more than enough for most yachts-
Thats fine
Your information is new.
They must have dug it out. (Prolly a bunch of ol cruisers with chains round their necks )

Old 30-07-2011, 17:04   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Great info Ram.
I attached a Earth jpeg with the spots I've heard of so far. There are a lot of previous suggestions about Santorini on CF. Google search them (Rojude).

Did you ever find a marina in Croatia to haul your catamaran?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Santorini.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	30070  
Old 30-07-2011, 21:26   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Great info Ram.
I attached a Earth jpeg with the spots I've heard of so far. There are a lot of previous suggestions about Santorini on CF. Google search them (Rojude).

Did you ever find a marina in Croatia to haul your catamaran?
I hauled out at KOS marina- turns out they have a special in June/July and the cost was cheap, 520 e this included 10 days on the hard-and pressure wash-the price should have been 580 but they did not realize I had a cat and they honoured the price- A really great chantry just outside of the marina- I got a lot of work done and was a great stop- all you need is there & I think the travel lift is big enough for your cat
Old 14-08-2011, 04:26   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As of today the depth in the Marina Satorni is now 8 feet
Old 14-08-2011, 06:35   #10

Thanks everyone for your information. More for us to consider. I have read a lot of the previous posts about Santorini and the information seems quite conflicting, although unanimous about its beauty. We'll keep reading and planning
Thanks again.
Old 14-08-2011, 07:55   #11

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

well if you wish to catch a ferry then i suggest you leave yacht at Naxos to catch the ferry from Naxos you have several options either catch blue star ferry's leaves Naxos at 13.05 and 22.30 to santorini or catch high speed ferry which leaves at 11.45am or catch the local high speed day trip cat to santorini which leaves at 7.30 am i would take rams advice if you decide to drop the hook but when i go to santorini i usually drop the hook at pereissa beach i tuck in right behind red bluff and the little fishing mole , i went into marina on Thursday and it was packed with big fat cats and got a depth reading of 2.4 meters but if i was to drop the hook in the caldera i would go to thirasia
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:17   #12

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Don't be deterred from visiting Santorini by yacht. You shouldn't have any problem getting a berth in the marina at Vlikadha in September; it shouldn't be too busy at that time of year. The marina had minimum depths of 2.5 metres when we were there in May 2009 and they were dredging even then to give better depths. See the World Cruisin Wiki (Santorini - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki) for details. There are few better experiences than sailing through the crater in your own yacht and, if you stay in the marina, you can then hire a scoooter or car from the nearby resort of Perissa to explore the island. One day, believe me, is not enough unless you simply want to say you've been to Santorini. We spent three days and only just managed to do all we wanted.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:49   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Depth at the Marina today is about 7.5 feet-Sept 5
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Depth at the Marina today is about 7.5 feet-Sept 5

They've sure as hell dug that bugger out.

Have fun there!

Cuddle a donkey for me.