Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 19:11   #1

Took the plunge

Figured it's about time to give an update on everything I've been up to since my introductory post back in February. I considered all the advice given here on the forum, and I found the perfect boat, slip and community for me and my first mate.

I purchased a mint 2011 Hunter 33 about two months back. My broker, an amazing resource and extremely helpful, accompanied me to get the boat from Norwalk, CT to it's new home in Essex, CT. My wife and I connected with the Essex Corinthian Yacht Club, which introduced us to several more experienced sailors who have been instructing us as we learn the ropes, literally. Furthermore, our dock mates in the Dauntless Shipyard have welcomed us into a tight-knit family of fun and supportive boaters. We can't believe how friendly and generous everyone has been.

Even a cherry boat can have issues, and I've learned a few things along the way. I've broken a furling line and learned to splice in a new one. My hot water flow was weak, but I was able to open up the mixing valve and clean out some hard water deposits; good as new! I noticed my stuffing box was dribbling more than dripping, and so I repacked it and dialed in three drips/min. Now my A/C raw water pump has crapped out, so I'll be replacing that next. I'd probably get bored if I didn't have stuff like this to do!

We held a christening ceremony last Sunday to rename her "Argo." My name is Jason, so it was a natural fit. Today, my wife and I took our first solo voyage start to finish - no help, just the two of us on a short jaunt out on the CT river. We did it with no issues!

Bottom line, this has been a far better experience than either of us could have imagined. We appreciate all the support from our local and virtual boating community. We look forward to many adventures as we voyage the Long Island Sound!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	195347  
soliton is offline   Reply With Quote