Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 20:04   #1

Boat: 25' MV - Calypso
The Retirement Plan

So, we've nearly decided on a retirement plan of cruising. What sealed the deal was spending time with some year-round cruisers in Bocas Del Toro, Panama at the Calypso Cantina in the Bocas Marina last summer. After three days/evenings socializing with them, THEY decided that we're ready and that we can do it. I think that I need a 3 month on/3 month off plan, or something similar.

They also thought that Capt. Hubby and I respect (okay, and love) each other enough to make it work.

We've done some bareboat charters in the Caribbean, own a 25' M/V on an inland lake and have our sights set on a 44' multihull. We're serious enough to have started a little catfish den of savings that we can protect from noodling. We've considered our budget, what we would sell to make it happen and how much money we will need in order to support our lifestyle.

So, what's next? <) (That's my little boat...)
CALYPS0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Seems like a sound plan so far. Next? Save money, sail some more, learn about: diesel engines, 12V charging systems, wiring, weather, plumbing, geography, navigation, painting, carpentry, rigging (what have I left out).

Let me add that all the above is part of what I enjoy about boats and cruising so do not view it as a problem but part of the challenge and fun.

Also, hang out with more sailors (like here), talk, ask questions, look at boats. Did I mention save more money?

Welcome aboard.

PS
Where in GA? My original home.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:25   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Zero ambivalence is the single most important thing about any plan. If you are totally committed with zero ambivalence, you will make the sailing retirement/voyage happen.

I worked for eleven years in Arabia saving my Freedom Chips before I set sail with my family. That worked for me, and something else will work for you if you are non-ambivalent in your commitment.

If you are non-ambivalent, you can sail anywhere you want on one, two, or three hulls.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 20:48   #4

Skipmac - See? You already taught me something. I love charting and navigating with the crudest of traditional implements or, when in doubt, heading for the GPS. But when it comes to a diesel engine, I'm fraught with worry. Capt. Hubby is definately the one with a comfort zone when it comes to engines, but I may be a lost cause. Our boat mechanic is #3 on my speed dial and I generally describe the sound it's making - or not making, and typically suggest what I think it might be. I'm correct more often than not, but making repair on it will have to fall to Capt. Hubby. That kinda stinks because, if he's sick and wretching, I will not be able to hold my own with the engine, 12 volt charing systems or the wiring.

Carpentry? Check (Dad's a contractor, so I can fix about anything.)
Painting? Check - I'm the painter in our house.
Rigging? I can rig our Prindle in nothing flat and did fine with the boat last summer, but need more experience there.
Weather? - Check. One of my passions.

Oh - and provisioning - I'm particularly good at this! I LOVE it.

I'm trying to work on a budget based on what I'm seeing on some other sites reflecting what people love on while cruising. I think we'll be okay there too.

More, please! I need to recognize what I'm NOT ready for! And I'd really like to get my Captain's license. I'm still a novice by most true sailors' standards!

Finally, we're suburbanites just north of Atlanta. You?
Old 22-06-2010, 20:49   #5

Maxing out - True and thoughtful. Thank you.
Old 22-06-2010, 21:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
New engine, good filters...

CALYPS0
If you can't manage an old diesel then a new or almost new engine/transmission may need to be part of your plans.
Combine that with a good water separation filter, clean tank, anti fungal additive and a newish well sized battery and you should be fine.

Learning how to bleed may also be a good idea.

Don't forget to change the oil every 100 hours.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 16:57   #7

Dave - Your site and your 100 Captain's Logs are awesome! Your log about the Privilege capsizing and strength of your hull, braking the boat, etc. is priceless. I can't wait to link my hubby to your site also!

Thank you for taking the time to share such great information.

Sharon
Old 23-06-2010, 17:53   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALYPS0 View Post
But when it comes to a diesel engine, I'm fraught with worry.
I suggest taking a diesel course that offers some hands-on instruction. If you're already comfortable with carpentry, rigging, etc., you certainly have the aptitude to learn the basics of diesel maintenance in no time at all.

I'm not sure what's offered in your neighborhood, but here's an example (not an endorsement) from a little farther north: Marine Diesel Engine Classes at Annapolis School of Seamanship
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:19   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
If you sail a Prindle you probably know a bit about sail handling so I won't suggest a basic sailing course. There are a few courses through Coast Guard Aux. that are worth the effort if you are so inclined. You'll be more dependent on sails and weather than on diesel engines so become one with the sails.
kind regards,

Tags
retirement