Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 18:25   #1

pirate The New Guy

Hello everybody I'm the new guy here. I'm a student at Texas A&M at college station. I currently do not own a boat but I am looking to buy a 25 to 30 footer . Any help with will be greatly appreciated. I'm eager to learn everything I can about sailing. I also loved to relax post my feet up and relax in my hammock and watch the waves roll in.
Ncsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 18:48   #2

Welcome Aboard!! CF is a great source of info.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 18:53   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: The New Guy

My sailing dreams started when I was in college. I think that college is a great place to start. You might even end up sailing around the world.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 19:07   #4

Maxingout I hope your right I'm a biology major so the more things I can get under my belt the better asset I to some one. Heck I might sail around I'm just along for the ride.
Old 20-06-2012, 05:05   #5

Hi new guy

I just bought a 26 foot boat so im a month ahead of you.

Peice of advice ill give ya on buying a used boat on a budget is to keep it simple. When i was asking around to people in the know i was advised to get the boat pulled out of the water, to get a diver to inspect the bottom, to call up a surveyor, have a sailing instructor come up to sail on the test sail... All of which wouuld have driven the cost of my purchase up by 50%.

Key is to see if the boat has been looked after by the currrent owner. Check the cockpit drains to see if they are clogged with debris (means the current owner hasnt just neglected her) check the cabin everywhere for mould and mildew, all the stowage compartments. Spend a few nights on the boat before you buy, make sure everything works (youd be surprised how things can work when you first try it but how things on a neglected boat can fail after you use them a few times) and check the bilge each morning and night to see if and how muchh water she takes on)

There is a book i found very helpful called "the sailing bible" i took it aboard for my first few nights on the boat which helped me to familiarize me with the lines and sheets by tracing them as it explains all the key controls and how they operate.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 06:41   #6

Mr-canada thanks for the advice my first boat will be a very very resurached purchase. When I do you can bet I'll be spending every moment on the boat keeping a watchful eye out.
Old 20-06-2012, 16:20   #7

Boat: Hunter 310. 31 feet
Hope you find the right boat that fits your budget and experience. I bought my first boat new about 35 years ago. I didn't jump into a large boat right away and had an older friend who had been sailing for many decades teach me "the ropes". He had owned and sailed a multitude of different rigs both small and large. I read everything I could get my hands on but a knowledgable, experienced, tutor that you're comfortable being around is an invaluable asset. I found that there was no substitute for real hands on OJT. My friend has sadly passed on but I could never thank him enough for what he taught me. Just remember that anyone who calls themselves an instructor had better make you feel like there are no "dumb" questions and explains everything in layman's terms on a level you can understand. Anyone who projects an attitude of superiority and arrogance can make you feel reluctant to ask the question that may one day save your boat or your life. Just some advice from an old guy who at one time thought he could read himself into being competent and had learned just enough to get himself in trouble. Good luck with your search I'm sure you'll love sailing if you enjoy the ocean, the freedom of a sail powered vessel an the peace of mind that sailing has always given me.
Best wishes.

John
Cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 16:50   #8

The people that I have already met on this forum is giving me loads of advice. John I hope I find someone to mentor me like you had. I hope by next summer I will enough saved up to purchase my first skip. I just wanted to thank everyone for welcoming me in to this select group of skippers and sailors.
Old 21-06-2012, 10:36   #9

I too am new to theForum, but I am an " OLD" new guy. You should have fun choosing your boat, Iknow I did. I started out with an Islander 27 which is a great starter boat, currently I have a Hunter 33 which I sail out of and around the Tampa Bay area. HMoore
hmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 13:33   #10

Welcome aboard Mr Moore.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45   #11

Thanks Bob on Otter for the welcome. I look forward to interacting with all the good folks at the Forum. HMoore
hmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 16:19   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. You might check the links after my signature and the book recommendation too.
I always recommend a basic sailing class just to get you off on the right track. If you find someone to teach you that is not a certified instructor then please have them explain a basic sailing guide to you like my favorite, "Start Sailing Right!" so that you get all the proper information.
kind regards,