Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 08:38   #1

Boat: Columbia 43--Wa'a Nui
The "New Guy"

Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening to all wherever you may be!!! Just thought I'd stop in and say hello as this is my first day here. I've been looking for an active up-to-date cruising/sailing forum and I believe I've found the one for me...Hello to all!!!

Just a quick bit about me: Allied Luders 33---Manukea. Currently working as Harbor Patrol in Catalina Island. End of summer, Manukea and my two pooches Ally and Kula will be joining my wife in Honolulu where she accepted a job opportunity 3 weeks ago. Currently outfitting and upgrading a great boat which had been cruised by an acquaintance of mine. (He was on his way to the South Pacific in Manukea when I was in La Paz preparing to make the crossing to Lana'i in my Mariner 31 JeSeaCa.

That's about it...I'm excited to read posts and advice from all those post/present/future cruisers as well as offer my own drop in the bucket to those interested. Aloha All...Happy to Be Here.
Da BigBamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:49   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Welcome to the forum. I'm curious, how have you enjoyed living on Catalina; some love island living others hate it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:19   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like you will add a lot in the way of experience to the forum.

Enjoy,
George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Big,
Welcome aboard. Your boat sounds interesting. Always liked the Allied line. I've got a mizzen mast and boom, mizzen boom and jib boom from a salvaged Mariner 31 hanging under my eaves at the house here. Know anybody in Hawaii that needs them?
Kind Regards, --JohnL--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:12   #5

Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48
Welcome to the forum. I'm curious, how have you enjoyed living on Catalina; some love island living others hate it.
I enjoy it. It's a welcome escape from the hub-bub of the mainland. I was working in Two-Harbors for a while. It's a unique social environment where a small number of people (100) have lived for many years. It's intimate (too intimate at times) everybody knows your business. It's a corporation run town so those in charge make up the "royalty".

All in all, it's a nice place with beautiful water and ocean activities. I wouldn't live there year-round.

Now I live in White's Landing. A cove with 90 moorings a good anchorage and 3 yacht clubs with facilities on land. Even better water and ocean activities than Two Harbors in my opinion. 4 miles from Avalon and 11 miles from Two Harbors. That can be a bit limiting but I have the patrol boat to go to Avalon whenever I need to. I suspect Avalon would be a more enjoyable place to live long term.

Thanks for your reply
Old 10-08-2006, 08:16   #6

Mariner spars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Big,
Welcome aboard. Your boat sounds interesting. Always liked the Allied line. I've got a mizzen mast and boom, mizzen boom and jib boom from a salvaged Mariner 31 hanging under my eaves at the house here. Know anybody in Hawaii that needs them?
Kind Regards, --JohnL--
Aloha John,

No, sorry I don't know of anyone who does, but I'll keep my ears open. You might be able to list them on E-bay or the like. I guess the shipping might be too restrictive to make it appealing to mainland buyers. Let the yards at the Ala Wai know you have 'em...

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful---Mike
Old 10-08-2006, 08:18   #7

Thanks George...I look forward to chatting with everyone!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:51   #8

Aloha Mike,
Thanks. I've thought of eBay but would have to say Hawaii only due to shipping. They can go pretty cheaply interisland on Young Bros. barge. My Mariner was an all wood 35. Sailed it interisland and back to the Puget Sound years ago. Great boat.
On Catalina did you run into a fellow named David on Merlyn, a red hulled Chinook? He was a member of our Yacht Club here for many years and has an interesting story about his first boat and how he learned to sail it.
Regards, --JohnL--
Old 10-08-2006, 11:03   #9

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Welcome!

We haven't been to Catalina for a while, but it's a favorite spot. Hope Goat Harbor is still as beautiful as it used to be.

Know you'll enjoy this forum.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42   #10

Merlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
On Catalina did you run into a fellow named David on Merlyn, a red hulled Chinook? He was a member of our Yacht Club here for many years and has an interesting story about his first boat and how he learned to sail it.
Regards, --JohnL--
John...no I don't believe I have...does he prefer to anchor or grab a mooring? I don't recall seeing a red Chinook...I would've noticed that as I was looking at buying on in San Diego a few years ago. Love to meet him though...if you happen to keep in touch with him, tell him to come to White's Landing and ask for "Harbor Mike" on ch. 09--

Aloha
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44   #11

Goat harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie
Welcome!

We haven't been to Catalina for a while, but it's a favorite spot. Hope Goat Harbor is still as beautiful as it used to be.

Yes it is, beautiful as ever and few boats anchor there.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Aloha -- Mike
Old 10-08-2006, 13:28   #12

Merlyn the Chinook

"John...no I don't believe I have...does he prefer to anchor or grab a mooring?"

Hi Mike,
David would definitely be at anchor. He tries his best with the very least expense.
Merlyn had a bit of plywood structure where the quarter railing and lifelines would be. He did that to protect him from weather while crossing the Pacific. No one has been in touch with him.
Happy sailing!

John
Old 10-08-2006, 23:10   #13
Kai Nui

Da Big, Welcome aboard.