Just adding an update to my thread for posterity.
Ann, Iím thrilled to say my previous owner was kind enough not to leave a legacy of 5200-bonded components. Whatever they used (probably the owner prior to my seller by the looks of things) had long since degraded into a somewhat chalky/clay-like putty with very little adhesion remaining (if it ever had it). The deck hardware
all came off very easily and cleanup was surprisingly easy as well. I took your advice
and let the epoxy
cure 24 hours before rebedding, and Iím happy to report my teaky is no longer leaky. In fact, I was onboard today while we were getting some effects from Tropical Storm Eta and not a drop of water
found its way below.
With that project
done, Iíve been free to tackle some more. Iíve been striking a balance between cosmetics and mechanical repairs
and upgrades. The cosmetic improvements have given me the motivation to press on with the nitty gritty mechanical items.
The 16,000 BTU Dometic unit is in- just in time for the oppressive heat to give way to fall temps, but itís still a VERY welcome upgrade as the old unit gave up the ghost (Iím guessing) during the Bush administration.
Iíve painted the bilge
with a beautiful coat of white Bilgecote and decided to do all of the spaces under the sinks, bunks, and settees with it as well. That not only made the boat
feel fundamentally cleaner but it eliminated a great deal of the musty ďold boatĒ smell. I also installed the Froli sleep system and memory foam mattresses (with the cool gel topper- important for Florida).
I tackled the brightwork on the deck
with a new coat of Gloss Cetol, and spent a few days tackling the bronze
and brass fittings down below. The result of all that hard work
has the boat
looking like the Wanderer from Captain
Ron mid-movie. I cannot wait to get the hull
professionally painted with Awlgrip in a few months.
On the mechanical side, my engine
guy flaked out on me (the marine
industry down here is white hot right now and itís nearly impossible to get a service
scheduled, BUT I was pleased to see that the previous owner gave the engine
before I bought it. Oil
is clear and full, coolant
is good, zincs and belts are all new- so Iím able to take that one off the list. I also topped off the batteries
to complete the routine maintenance
items, then went through the ac wiring
and replaced a bunch of corroded and charred terminals (picture of some included)
, ongoing project
is reinstalling the pressure water
system which has been easy enough so far.
Next on the list is going to be replacing the exhaust
hoses- which I expect to be a bit of a pain. I have some cabinets that need the insides rebuilt, and my shipwright flaked out on me too, so thatís going to be mine to tackle now. I expect thatís going to be a pain as well. Iím also going to replace the composting head
with a traditional marine head
if not Vacuflush- weíll see). While the composting head
has absolutely eliminated the head odor
, the seat is far too high as itís mounted on a platform and difficult to use. Fortunately all of the old head plumbing
is gone so I have a blank canvas
with, just like the pressure water plumbing
The BIG project coming up is going to be painting the deck. Iím thinking single
and Kiwigrip for the nonskid.
And while Iíve been getting a lot of work done on it, Iíve been taking it out regularly and am now comfortable single
handing it (docking and close quarters maneuvering being the more challenging part of that given that itís a full keel
, heavy displacement
hull). I miss the days where I had twin screws, but Iím having fun mastering the art of warping my way into and out of right spots.
After the haul out
, Iím going to take a couple weeks and run it down to Key West
then the Dry Turtugas for a proper shakedown.
My thanks to all for the advice
in this and my other threads. I look forward to seeing everyone on the water.
A couple pictures of the progress included.