Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 20:15   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31
Tartan 30

Greetings!
We are currently owners of a beautiful "good old boat" and proud of it. We are currrently experiencing that "bigger is better" phenomen and trying to get a realistic opinion. What do you think? Is our Tartan 30 adequate to hit the cruising circle? We're looking for some feedback...
Bill and Jean
s/v Shenanigans
sailor0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 20:26   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
The simple answer is yes. I would definitely start with your Tartan and then after you've been cruising awhile decide whether or not you'd like someting with a bit more room.
I have faith in the Tartans if well maintained.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:47   #3

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
boat size

Hi we live aboard a 32ft M/S and have plenty of room. In boating size isnt everything. The quality of build and designe is more important. We have lived aboard a 24ft yacht and sailed all over the place and enjoyed it. 30 years ago I did a circumnav in a Westerly Cirrus 23ft which I had prepaired for the task and never got into any probs. Hope this helps you.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22   #4

Boat: camper and nicholson, 39' ketch "shell de mer"
head room is good for backs

For about 23 years we sailed about in Moreton Bay in Queensland in a 23 ft Roberts sloop. She was fantastic with a shoal draft keel of about 18" and could get us into wonderful little hideaway spots. However, I could not live on board anymore than a couple of weeks at a time, even when young and lithe as without head room, it was back-breaking. So I think that as long as you have adequate head room, the length of the boat is not quite so important as a good strong hull design. We sailed around the Whitsunday Islands in Horth Queensland for 6 weeks, three of us in a Farr 6000, (6 metres) without even a dinghy -- wading out to the boat at all hours hoping not to get bitten by any munchies in the water! But it was a 'pop-top' so the headroom was not so much an issue as not having the dinghy!

Good luck I am sure you will have a great time!
Old 09-03-2009, 17:04   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor0613 View Post
Greetings!
We are currently owners of a beautiful "good old boat" and proud of it. We are currrently experiencing that "bigger is better" phenomen and trying to get a realistic opinion. What do you think? Is our Tartan 30 adequate to hit the cruising circle? We're looking for some feedback...
Bill and Jean
s/v Shenanigans
G'Day Bill and Jean

A word of encouragement: Ann and I did lots of miles in a Yankee 30, which is a very similar S&S design of the same vintage. This included racing and cruising in the SF bay, coastal cruises to So Calif, and finally a round trip to Hawaii in 1983. Your boat, if well maintained, is cabable of any coastal voyages and with care most off shore ones. Wouldn't care to do high latitude stuff in such a small boat, though!

I expect that there will be those who discourage sailing in a smaller, older boat, but it surely can be done!
Go it!!

Cheers

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 18:56   #6

Tartan 30s are lighter weight, fairly fast boats, frequently with Atomic 4 engines - which you either like or do not. If she supports your liveaboard lifestyle and will carry the stuff you need/want, then in good condition these boats are suitable for coastal or island hopping style cruising.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 19:02   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor0613 View Post
Greetings!
Bill and Jean
s/v Shenanigans
My best friend in the Navy sailed with his wife around the world in a four year circumnavigation in a Tartan 30. Other than a knockdown in a storm off South Africa, their trip was unremarkable. The tartan 30 is a great yacht, and it sails well to windward.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:23   #8

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
little cruisers

The size of the boat isnt the deciding factor.
First it must meet all your needs such as comfort and saftey. ALL the equipment must be the best as the sea is the best testing ground there is. Please have a look at our blog as I ahve put a bit about this subject it is theguerns.blogspot.com

A final word 30 years ago I did a circumnav in a westerly Cirrus 23 ft but I must say I did alot of work on her before I left.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:33   #9

Boat: Dreadnought 32
Bill and Jean
Wanted to share a little of our experience as we cruised our T30 from Maine to Florida for the winter of 06/07. All in all it was a great boat for the trip, they are a fairly quick hull for the length, although you have to be careful how far you push that waterline down as she will slow down quickly. The best question to ask yourself is what type of cruising ground are you headed for. If this is full time live aboard you will probably find yourself much like we did enjoying every minute of the experience but moving to a larger and heavier boat. If you are looking at months on the water and not packing your whole life onboard then she will take you places you can only dream of and you will most likely be happy saving the money on dockage and cruising fees.

Brian
Immrama is offline   Reply With Quote