Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 21:57   #1

Taking the Plunge

Hi Everyone, thought I'd drop a line and introduce my self.

If things go well this week I should be finding my self something to live aboard on. Finding the right combination of price, size and proximity to navigable river or coastal area is the three biggies other then what needs repaired and I fix it my self. is there a reasonably priced DIY marina I can rent a slip at that allows liveaboards. 25 to 40 ft is target size and less then 2000 is target price. with a reasonable amount of amenities.
I will do this!
useDaGreyMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:31   #2

Boat: Downeast Flybridge - 45 Grace
Did you say 2K? Hmmmm...that could be hard! Maybe 10K and less will get you something that you can live on.
Old 15-11-2010, 08:26   #3

Talking No so

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriadream View Post
Did you say 2K? Hmmmm...that could be hard! Maybe 10K and less will get you something that you can live on.
Actually I have found several liveable yachts for my price range. the only trouble I have on that is geography and not having a tow vehicle/ gas money to go get them. They are out there is you willing to spend the time looking.
Old 15-11-2010, 12:22   #4

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Bit more info and we can be more help no doubt, where and what currency to start.

Sure, you may find 'something' for 2k but whether it's pounds or dollars, it's still going to need more spent on it, i'm sure you know that but just thought i'd state the obvious.

A boat may look fine on blocks in a yard but won't be much fun to live on if it sinks once put in the water!

However, wherever in the world you are, a cheap boat is still going to be better value than property anyday and you'll never be bored.....
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 14:33   #5

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Bit more info and we can be more help no doubt, where and what currency to start.

Sure, you may find 'something' for 2k but whether it's pounds or dollars, it's still going to need more spent on it, i'm sure you know that but just thought i'd state the obvious.

A boat may look fine on blocks in a yard but won't be much fun to live on if it sinks once put in the water!

However, wherever in the world you are, a cheap boat is still going to be better value than property anyday and you'll never be bored.....

I don't doubt I will have to spend some money on what ever I get. The key is make sure it meets as many of my requirements right off and spend a little as possible on lack of planning
Old 15-11-2010, 14:54   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
I once visited a boat salvage site in which there were a number of derelict or burned boats in that size, all way over that price. I don't doubt there are med sized $2000 boats around but fixable for anything reasonable?

"The key is make sure it meets as many of my requirements right off and spend a little as possible on lack of planning" ????????????????
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 15:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I once visited a boat salvage site in which there were a number of derelict or burned boats in that size, all way over that price. I don't doubt there are med sized $2000 boats around but fixable for anything reasonable?

"The key is make sure it meets as many of my requirements right off and spend a little as possible on lack of planning" ????????????????
THINK OUT SIDE OF THE BOX!!!!!!
Have a criteria in mind of what you have to have, then put in the time on line and every where else looking for it.
Old 15-11-2010, 17:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
THINK OUT SIDE OF THE BOX!!!!!!
Have a criteria in mind of what you have to have, then put in the time on line and every where else looking for it.
Never got the concept of asking for comments and then getting defensive when you get them.
Old 15-11-2010, 17:12   #9

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I did what you want to do. I now live aboard my 26' Haida.

Someday it will leave the dock!
Plan on spending $1000 a year on the boat.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 17:15   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I did what you want to do. I now live aboard my 26' Haida.

Someday it will leave the dock!
Plan on spending $1000 a year on the boat.

KEWL !!!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Old 15-11-2010, 17:22   #11

Defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Never got the concept of asking for comments and then getting defensive when you get them.
NO defensiveness to it.

This is how I am finding all these boats for under 2K. I have not counted them but I'd take guess that I have came across at least 8 to 10 25 - 29 ft yachts in rought but livable condition over the last couple of weeks.
They are out there it is just a case of finding one that is either close enough to me to justify the trip. knowing it might be not all that the seller claims, on a show string. It is called persistence. Something I have bucket loads of when I want to.
Old 15-11-2010, 17:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
At that price the boats strongest quality may be that it floats. If that's all you want from the boat then you're biggest concern is finding a marina that not only allows liveaboards but will take you. Most marinas require insurance which means a survey. A $2000 boat of that size is likely to require a lot of work before it will be insurable. Sometimes to think outside of the box you have to know the box first.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 17:53   #13

Boat: None.
you are correct: No defense intended..I read "offense intended". Go sailing to clear your head.
jon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 19:48   #14

Quote:
NO defensiveness to it.

This is how I am finding all these boats for under 2K. I have not counted them but I'd take guess that I have came across at least 8 to 10 25 - 29 ft yachts in rought

You previously said "25 to 40 ft is target size". I still think finding a boat in the 40 ft range for $2000 goes beyond the box and doesn't begin to count the cost of bringing it up to seaworthy and insurable condition not to mention operating and maintenance costs. Good luck with your search but watch the tendency some folks have of rushing into something like this major a project with no conception of the real cost.
Old 15-11-2010, 20:09   #15

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
NO defensiveness to it.

This is how I am finding all these boats for under 2K. I have not counted them but I'd take guess that I have came across at least 8 to 10 25 - 29 ft yachts in rought but livable condition over the last couple of weeks.
They are out there it is just a case of finding one that is either close enough to me to justify the trip. knowing it might be not all that the seller claims, on a show string. It is called persistence. Something I have bucket loads of when I want to.
There are two boats on ebay that are within 250 miles of Sherman, Tx and might meet your critera.

sailboat items - Get great deals on Boats, Sailboats items on eBay Motors!

Good Luck.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote