Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27   #1

Boat: Morgan 416 Dadidoc
Send a message via AIM to dadidoc
SV Dadidoc, 84 Morgan 416 - New to Posting Here

Happy New Year to everyone in this forum - hope to get as much out of this forum as I have with the Yahoo Morgan 41 owners forum. After having SV Dadidoc for nearly two years now, the first year getting it to the Chesapeake from Florida where we bought it, and the second year on the Chesapeake in Middle River, our hope is to get out to our roots on Eastern Long Island in Sag Harbor Summer 2009.

On the hard now in Delaware City, launching in April to start this trip. Hopeful this forum will help me find marinas, moorings, etc on my way up and back at the end of the season. Looking for those who know the Jersey coast, have braved Hells Gate in NYC, the Long Island sound and out east on the Island.

As a famous Morgan owner once put it, Sail before sunset - this is my endeavor.

cSailing Vessel Dadidoc
dadidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:13   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Dadidoc, Welcome and Happy New Year!

Nice vessel, I took a peek. I Sail out of NJ/NY. I'm assuming that you'll head for Cape May as a 1st stop in the spring? I didn't see how tall your mast was, if greater than 55' you might have to go around the tip. Your draft is pretty shoal, but pay careful attention to your route around. Cape May is a nice stop. I've stayed at South Jersey Marina, pricey but convenient. The Lobster House is a short walk away.
touristy but fun. I like the raw bar outside.
From there, you have the option of taking a straight shot for the Fishtail or Block Island, ( maybe 36 odd hours ) or coastal cruising it.
The Run up the NJ coast is about 24 hours to Sandy Hook. You have Atlantic City, Barnaget, and Manasquan as the most popular inlets along the way. In nice weather, I'd prefer to make the whole trip outside. Brielle Yacht Club on the Manasquan is a close in and out, caution is required as currents run fast there, you need to hit it right.

You can drop a hook in fair weather behind Sandy Hook, in Horseshoe Cove.( watch your sounder and keep in mind there's a 4 to 5 ft tidal diff. ).or head to the Atlantic Highlands Marinas. Further up the Hudson on the Jersey side is Liberty Marina In Jersey City, Newport Marina.

If proceeding up the East River, the theory is to hit the Battery 2 hours after low tide to catch a favorable current, but I've hit it later and done well. Pay close attention to your Tide and current tables. If coming from the south, you can pass safely behind Governors island in buttermilk channel to the Brooklyn Bridge. Go up the west side of Roosevelt island. There is no diesel on city island . There are numerous stops on the sound. Manhasset bay is an easy in an out shorty after entering the sound. Huntington Harbor is nice but will take you awhile to get back into it. I happen to enjoy picking up a mooring ball in Port Jefferson. From Port Jeff you should be able to get to Gardiners.

There as many ways of doing this trip as there are cruisers, and alot will depend on your style and the weather.

Is it Spring Yet?

Tempest.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Hello and welcome Dadidoc, We are also on a Morgan OI and have been since 1973. Ours is the 413 so we do take the Cape May Canal that Tempest referred to. We often head up to Maine via the East River & Long Island Sound, etc. As Tempest mentioned Manhasset Bay (Port Wshington) & Port Jeff are excellent stops. Our draft also allows Mattituct as a stop, which is a favorite of ours. 'see you here or on the Morgan Group, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 13:46   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:45   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Capt Force, HNY

I haven't tried Matticut yet, I hear it's tight in there? Any tips should I try this summer? I draw 4' board up

I sometimes cross from Port Jeff to Old Saybrook or Essex to set up for the Race..but Matticut would be a good alternative If viable and reliable

My crew, doesn't like the long leg from Port Jeff to Block... ;-)

Is it spring yet?

Tempest..
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan