Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 21:00   #1

Sustanable traveller

Hello,
I'm a complete novice to sailing, though I do know I don't get seasick so I 'spose that's the first box ticked, and I can swim a fair distance...

I'm 49 and travelling the world without flying if I can help it, which would dictate that I must sail to cross the big wet bits...this scares the hell out of me which only motivates me more to do it, so here I am.

I'm currently on the East coast of Australia and am hoping to travel to New Zealand, then South America, I'm planning on overlanding to the US from Chile, then onto Europe across that next wet bit.

I'm generally a gregarious, easy going fella who seems to find something in common with most people, I have experience with diesel engines, can cook, tie most knots and am a quick learner.

So, Hi everyone!
Gone Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 22:26   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Sustanable traveller

Welcome aboard Gone Feral! Good luck in your dreams. You might try posting a note in the "crew positions" ads. Get some sea time experience, make yourself known around the local harbor and you might get lucky and find a good delivery to crew on. I knew some folks who worked their way around the world on deliveries. They had great attitudes, did not scare easily and had some good references to show a skipper as well, but they were not very experienced sailors prior to that.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 23:19   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gone Feral, there's a slight hitch with your plan, in that not many cruisers actually make the passage to Chile. And, the season for it is in the southern hemisphere summer. It is quite a long passage. One of our members, El Pinguino, did it last year, iirc. You could send him a Personal Message and ask him, if you wanted to learn what it was like.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 27-08-2017, 23:50   #4

Thanks Don and Cate, I'll certainly take your words on board.
Gone Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote