Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48   #1

Boat: Santana 25
Suggested Destinations for Trailer Sailer

Two years ago my wife and I bough our first sailboat. A Santana 25 with a trailer. We rented a slip on the lake near our home, and taught ourselves to sail with the help of a friend, a few books, and YouTube videos. This January we managed to take a week long sailing school in the BVI that proved to be the best time of our lives, for both of us. It was a wonderful vacation and it reenforced that we had learned on our own was indeed basic sailing. Now that sailing season is upon us again we have a decision to make. My work is seasonal so mid May to sometime in August we are free to sail. It costs $250 per mo. to rent a slip here in Colorado plus fuel from home to lake and back (80 mi per trip) so it seems reasonable that we could trailer to Florida or San Carlos or California or ??? We don't have a lot of money but we always seem to have just enough get by. Our boat is small so a few weeks may be enough of trying to liveaboard if we chose to trailer it away from home. I realize how lucky I am to have a wife that enjoys sailing as much or more then I do and I would hate to spoil what we enjoy now because of a bad decision. Any thoughts on staying home or looking for bigger water?
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53   #2

Re: What to do

why not spend a week aboard IN your home lake?? I spent 3 weeks in Lake Travis years ago to see how living aboard feels..Much easier and less issues to distract from the main one,' will we like living on a sailboat?"

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Suggested Destinations for Trailer Sailer

We have a trailer sailor and have taken it all up and down the east coast -- Maine to the Bahamas. And that's exactly what I would suggest for you -- so long as you get used to living aboard. In May, as soon as you're free, head to Florida and sail her over to the Bahamas. Stay for 4-6 weeks, until hurricane season threatens. So late June, early July, head back to the States, trailer her up to the Chesapeake. Taste those delights for a few weeks. Late July to early August, explore Maine. Repeat every year with slight variations. . . . I hope we see you out there!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21   #4

I 2nd the recommendation for the Florida Keys and then over to the Bahamas.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27   #5

We have stayed several days on board and will again. It is small and is a lot like camping. I guess the cost of the slip made me wonder if we would get more bang for our buck by trailering elsewhere. At home we always have the option of tying it up and going home for a meal and a shower. We have been on trips we do not care to repeat but the grass always LOOKS greener on the other side of the fence to me. As I get older I have learned that the fence is made of barb wire but that time is short. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-04-2011, 11:49   #6

We have no experience with the gulf stream or open water. I was thinking more of Tampa Bay or the west coast of Florida but would love to see the Bahamas. Our boat is in good shape and is more seaworthy than I am I suppose.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54   #7

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Head for Puget sound. Put in in Olympia lots of fun places to sail. You could sail to the San Jauns, Victoria BC, Vancouver BC or up to Desolation sound.
We had an Aquarius 23 and moved it some where different every Summer.
When we went to Desolation sound we trailer to Lund BC. Then sailed for 30 day's.
Tim Hryciw
S/V Maria Victoria
Cascade 42
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:16   #8

The Puget Sound area is where our boat spent most of it's life with the previous owners. I have not been there but have heard it is beautiful. Thanks for another good idea. Lots of potential destinations. Green grass everywhere and we want to see it all.
Old 04-04-2011, 13:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you are headed to South Florida, I am partial to Everglades National Park. Especially in a trailerable boat! Launch from Flamingo on the salt water side of the dam and leave the car there. You can head north up the Shark River and/or south to the Keys along the Gulf of Mexico then turn east.

The big issue with the jump to the keys is that a 25' sailboat will be a challenge to travel the 30 miles from Flamingo to Key Largo straight to the east. I have done it in a sailing canoe- but that was tough. Heading west to the west side of the First National Bank and then south past Carl Ross Key is doable. If you head north into the "wilderness" part of ENP this time of year expect bugs, unless you stay off shore a bit. But the good news is that the park is empty- except for fisherman and the hardcore campers. You will see more wildlife than you could ever imagine.

Just depends on the goal of the trip.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 14:53   #10

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I wanted to add:

You have a trailer sailer you can take anywhere . . . and whole summers available to go sail her wherever you please . . . YOU LUCKY, LUCKY MAN!

Have fun out there.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 15:06   #11

Boat: mt34dt

Hi Twoblock,

I too am a trailer sailor and live in Colorado (Manitou Springs). I am in a similar situation being a teacher and having June, July, and Aug off. I have thought about the above suggested destinations. If you are looking for another couple to sail with, let me know. I have a Potter 19 and have thought about Fl, San Juans, Mexico, or possibly Quebec City. Originally from Fl and not sure how the heat would affect me after Colorado, but I do miss the seafood.

Mike
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 15:14   #12

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Since you are planning for the summer time, being from Colorado, I think you are going to find Florida and surroundings pretty hot and muggy. The Puget Sound / Vancouver Island area is a good choice, as would the North Channel in Lake Huron. Perfect area for a 25 ft boat. I trailered my 25 ft Tanzer up there a few years ago and it is as nice as they say it is:

Lake Huron Marinas, Sailing and Boating Destinations

North Channel Retrospective | Cruising World

Paul
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 18:31   #13

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. Lake Huron is one I had not considered but looks fantastic. The heat in Florida may not be very comfortable for us although the warmer water temperature may be a plus over Puget Sound. I know water in Northern California feels cold all summer and Colorado summers get very hot for us. This is all part of my confusion in planing. And yes, friends are always welcome.
Old 04-04-2011, 18:50   #14

Mike
We are south of Pueblo Res.
Old 10-04-2011, 21:21   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,