Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 01:41   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: starting new

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
Welcome Chris, and so sorry for your loss. I bought my first boat at 57+ after experiencing a different kind of loss, I just turned 60 and am having a ball learning. It's a lot of work but the joy is immeasurable. And don't be afraid of the ocean, bring along a good plan, a heavy dose of respect for it and trust in your vessel. I am excited for you, best of luck!
The land is more dangerous than the sea
Old 04-06-2020, 02:18   #17

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

I can tell i am in the right place. thank you all.

Just a quick update. Gave my boss my 2 month notice. Told her of my plans but that I always thought 2 wks was inadequate . She was very happy for me.

So now I’m comitted.

Still await estate sale later this month (if covid allows). prospective realtor comes by tomorrow. everything depends on the house. As soon as it sells, Chesapeake, here we come.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskilmer View Post
I can tell i am in the right place. thank you all.

Just a quick update. Gave my boss my 2 month notice. Told her of my plans but that I always thought 2 wks was inadequate . She was very happy for me.

So now I’m comitted.

Still await estate sale later this month (if covid allows). prospective realtor comes by tomorrow. everything depends on the house. As soon as it sells, Chesapeake, here we come.
All the best mate! Chesapeake is a nice place to start sailing, but brush up on your COLREGs, the shipping is pretty heavy. Though there are lots of little bays and creeks to drop the hook in if you want to explore.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:04   #19

Quote:
I can tell I am in the right place. Thank you all.

So now I’m comitted.

"The only failure in life is the failure to try."

At the risk of stating the obvious, you are daring to embrace the new possibilities that life will have for you out there.

Please let us know how you get on and do reach out to us as a resource as you go.

Remember the guys based in the Chesapeake area who have already sent you PMs - they can also connect with you privately. They are both knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong.

Fingers crossed for you, Chris!
Just keep putting one foot in front of the other - as hard as that might be.
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:33   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
All the best mate! Chesapeake is a nice place to start sailing, but brush up on your COLREGs, the shipping is pretty heavy. Though there are lots of little bays and creeks to drop the hook in if you want to explore.
Hmm. Understanding the Inland Rules (Chesapeake Bay is inside the COLREGS demarkation line) is always important. Shipping is not particularly heavy. From bottom to top there are about nine places that require attention. Six are traffic related.

At the bottom of the Bay the confluence of channels heading to Hampton Roads (Thimble Shoal Channel), York River (York Spit Channel), and Baltimore (Chesapeake Channel) mean staying alert and keeping your head on a swivel. Traffic isn't necessarily channel but could be anywhere. Dual watch on VHF 16 and 13 helps with situational awareness.

Next up is the Rapahannock Shoal Channel. This is a narrow dredged channel that runs from southeast to northwest and concentrates shipping. Crossing over can be interesting. Because it runs at an angle and is very narrow it's easy to get tunnel vision avoiding the greens and run headlong into a red. Cross perpendicular to the channel.

The TSS at Smith Point again concentrates traffic. You can avoid it by staying well East or just honoring the TSS - stay in your lane on the outboard edge.

All through the lower Bay tugs and tows run in unmarked moderately deep channels called tugboat alley East and West. They don't want to compete with the big boys either. They can be headed nearly anywhere. Lots of sand and gravel and some coal heading up rivers and even creeks.

Up near Pax River NAS is a set of large yellow metal radar targets used for practice runs by Navy pilots. Don't hit them. They're on the chart as an obstruction.

Up near Herring Bay there are fish traps that extend further into the Bay than the charts indicate. Don't hit them either. They aren't properly marked. You won't hurt anything but it's embarrassing and people yell at you.

If you are heading into Annapolis, 1AH at Tolly Point is much further into the Bay than you think as you head up. Do not go inside 1AH as there is no water there.

The anchorage for Baltimore is just below the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. From there to mouth of the Patapsco River the channels get complex and the water outside them more shallow. Again, not a lot of traffic but when there is you just need to stay out of their way.

North of that the water gets very shallow outside the marked channel and the tugs and tows concentrate as they funnel into the C&D canal. Again, stay on 16 and 13 and you'll know what is going on.

In between are some of the most wondrous cruising grounds on the planet.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:52   #21

Don't forget it is risky to leave the marked channel at night time -

Old 04-06-2020, 05:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Don't forget it is risky to leave the marked channel at night time
Lots of deep water outside the marked ship channels in most of the lower and mid Bay. Crab pots are generally in 30' or less.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Lots of deep water outside the marked ship channels in most of the lower and mid Bay. Crab pots are generally in 30' or less.
Yea, I started in Rock Hall, it got better as I moved south, and we were able to start sailing at night. Though north of about halfway I definitely wouldn't risk it if you're motoring/motorsailing.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:46   #24

thanks and i will keep that sage advice. will begin boat searching in Annapolis. the goal will be to be well south by winter, perhaps the keys. do have a friend who lives near the space coast, however.
Old 28-06-2020, 03:42   #25

An update. Estate sale did well. Even with covid and rates going up, phase one, etc....people came out. As a result, the house is close to empty. I can hear myself echo so yes, we’ve drastically minimized. the company picks up the “leftovers“ Monday. ive been perusing the leftovers to see anything i might have given up prematurely and find useful on a 35 ft livaboard.

Ive done the numbers and on a best case scenario, expect to be birkenstocks on the ground searching for my new home...mid Sept. say i spend 3 wks then another 3 weeks getting used to her (assuming she’s seaworthy). That would mean leaving the Chesapeake near end of october, bound for florida. which for me would be the icw. Is this realistic (disregarding keel depth for the sake of argument)? unless i hire someone to captain and sail the coastline. hey, thats not a bad idea. could show me the ropes of a bigger (to me) boat.

I do have an out. A longtime friend lives in middle of Florida, equidistant from tampa and Port St. Lucie. could begin my search there.

Also, think i have the luxury of not having to decide until the last minute. so don’t have to commit immediately.

Ok Chris quit beating around the bush. I don’t want to be living on a 35’ ish older sailboat in the north atlantic region in winter. thanks for any comments.
Old 28-06-2020, 04:54   #26

Quote:
An update.
Hello Chris,

Very pleased your plans are proceeding without substantive hiccup.

You don't have to be here to start looking. Yachtworld means when you get here mid September you'll have a list of boats to look at.

Your schedule is aggressive. There are two pieces of that. It's hard to buy a boat in less than a month. Negotiation, scheduling survey, sea trials, closing, .... The second piece is getting the boat ready to really get off the dock. The latter can be managed. Have the sails inspected and maintained by a good loft. Include a specific engine survey in the offer. Rigging inspection. There are issues with surveyors and electronics I can share that you don't need to worry about now. Have the fuel polished and the tanks cleaned. Clean the water tanks or have them cleaned and change as much of the distribution hosing as you can manage. Have a pro (or quasi-pro) go over your refrigeration with a fine tooth comb. Clean, clean, clean. From there with reasonable expedients with really minimal cost you can get off the dock and see how it goes and what really needs attention. The goal is to get off the dock. Actually using the boat will make you smarter, ask better questions, and set priorities based on your needs and desires vice what pundits in books, magazines, and on the Internet say.

So we can get you off the dock and moving. Maybe not in time to avoid some chill. There are easy fixes there. There are good and bad services almost everywhere. The key is to find and cherish the good ones.

Remember Annapolis Boat Show is still scheduled to take place this year October 8-12, 2020.
Old 29-06-2020, 22:23   #27

The house is empty. Not even a television. Little wing was right. it is so liberating. still, don’t see many cruising conversations of the process of removing one’s self from ordinary civilization. Have read “Leap of Faith: Quit your job and live on a boat” by Ed Robinson.

Today was my wife’s birthday. I took a mental day off from work. Think have maybe 20........19 now work days left. cleaned and cleaned some more. whatever it takes to become a liveaboard.

Auspicious is confirming what I was suspecting that may be running out of time to avoid a NE winter. no matter. Will try my luck in the Chesapeake first. And he reminded me there is always the Annapolis boat show!

I will be there.

thanks for listening everybody, and for the constructive comments. You all are one reason why I want to become a full time cruiser.

Chris
Old 11-07-2020, 23:18   #28

Of course it was going well. Maybe too well. cleaned house like mad. went on market wed. two days later, had 11 offers and picked the cash offer for 23k over the listing.

Was supposed to have home inspection following Monday. today, sat, i cleaned under sink, found a slow water leak. no wonder the kitchen floor was a little warped. called realtor. then usaa. then plumber who wasnt sure it was an emergency (Saturday. also, i live in a level 2 county...but the help coming from a county that is still closed down nonessentials.). so now my house, esp kitchen, sounds like a 747 from the fans and dehumidifiers.

For a moment there looked like I could start the great liveaboard search pretty soon. now, who knows. I guess will see what the buyer wants. Have gone in 24 hrs from so happy....to being on the urge of throwing up all day.
Old 11-07-2020, 23:41   #29

Boat: Lancer 36

Relax.....there is nothing under a sink that can't be dealt with easily by a proficient maintenance person.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 00:39   #30

Thanks. trying.