Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 04:09   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Soon to be Chesapeake Girl

Greetings! I am so excited to find such a friendly and active community! I am a newly single, early 40- something, Pennsylvania resident starting a new adventure. I have a few years of lake sailing experience aboard a Catalina 27, but will be moving to Maryland and upgrading to a larger boat to live aboard. I just can't get enough of sailing, fishing, and the great outdoors! So, I figure what a great opportunity to start my dream early. It will just be me and my little dog, so I am looking forward to making lots of new friends with similar interests. I will need some support learning to sail a bigger boat in bigger water. I am a really adventurous girl. I have 2 day jobs...one as a medical professional and the other as a zookeeper...just to keep things interesting. I am so excited about this new beginning!
NewBeginings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 04:20   #2

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565
Re: Soon to be Chesapeake Girl

You should check out the SSSSM (single sailors seeking soul mates) section. Join up and say Hi. :-)
Old 14-02-2020, 04:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
You should check out the SSSSM (single sailors seeking soul mates) section. Join up and say Hi. :-)
Thanks! I love your quote...good words to live by!
Old 14-02-2020, 04:41   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Welcome aboard, and best wishes on your next endeavor. The Chesapeake has quite a few sailors, so you should be in pretty good company.

I normally don't do this, posting a link to another forum, but anywhoo, here goes:
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesa...peake-bay.html

This thread on SN is pretty active, and gets very active in the spring/summer with a lot of great knowledge and info from fellow Chessie sailors. Usually this thread is the biggest on that particular forum. Check it out.
Old 14-02-2020, 04:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Welcome aboard, and best wishes on your next endeavor. The Chesapeake has quite a few sailors, so you should be in pretty good company.

I normally don't do this, posting a link to another forum, but anywhoo, here goes:
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesa...peake-bay.html

This thread on SN is pretty active, and gets very active in the spring/summer with a lot of great knowledge and info from fellow Chessie sailors. Usually this thread is the biggest on that particular forum. Check it out.
Thank you for the info! Much appreciated
Old 14-02-2020, 07:09   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:43   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I know you are looking for a bigger boat, but a Catalina 27 would make a good bay boat.

Another place to throw your hat in would be the Spinsheet. People are always looking for crew (mostly race boats) and you would get to try out different boats. If you are able to go out on someone else's boat (a financially sound way to do boating), then you could wait and decide what type of boat you wanted. Spinsheet has crew parties in the spring so you can meet in the prospective capts. vs just online.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 09:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginings View Post
Thanks! I love your quote...good words to live by!
If you dont know Webb Chillies he just finished his 7th? circumnavion at about 70 yrs old. A couple of times he had crew. The rest were solo. The last one was in a Dana 24.......
My hero.....lol
Dennis
Old 14-02-2020, 09:33   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

No, his last boat was a Moore 24.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 10:43   #10

You are correct..... let the record show...... :-)
Old 14-02-2020, 20:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
I know you are looking for a bigger boat, but a Catalina 27 would make a good bay boat.

Another place to throw your hat in would be the Spinsheet. People are always looking for crew (mostly race boats) and you would get to try out different boats. If you are able to go out on someone else's boat (a financially sound way to do boating), then you could wait and decide what type of boat you wanted. Spinsheet has crew parties in the spring so you can meet in the prospective capts. vs just online.
Thank you for the resources! I am selling my house in PA and planning on living on the boat full time. I would like to entertain guests and I am thinking the 27 would be a bit tight. I am going to take your advice though and try to go out on a few bigger boats to see how they feel. I know there are some drawbacks to going bigger.
Old 14-02-2020, 20:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
If you dont know Webb Chillies he just finished his 7th? circumnavion at about 70 yrs old. A couple of times he had crew. The rest were solo. The last one was in a Dana 24.......
My hero.....lol
Dennis
That's awesome! The secret to staying young is to just keep moving. I am sure he has some amazing stories to tell. If he doesn't have a book, I am sure it would make for a great read.