Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 01:42   #1

Smile, Live, Dance and Sail

Hello, I am also new to the sailing community although I am coming from a family of sailors. Canadian but living in East Europe right now and before that in the Caribbean and before that in Thailand.
My wife and I always wanted to sail and take our daughter for a few years on a boat. Sometimes life takes unexpected turns and you have to decide which route to take. The dark one or the alive and adventurous one. So I have decided on the second. Due to an accident that wasn't our fault, I've lost my wife and daughter and I was in surgeries and rehabilitation for about 30 months. I did survive with a broken neck and after daily physiotherapy and some surgeries, I am now in great condition.
So by taking the bright path, I have decided to fulfill a dream once dreamt, learn to sail, buy a boat and sail away with my two girls in my heart and with help of some friends. The plan is to live offshore, work, do vlogs, write and make sure people around me are smiling. Life is too fragile and the only thing we cannot get back, ask for more or turn around is time. Everything else is achievable. Now I am taking classes for captain licence on ships up to 40t and then sailing classes. So what you have here is a total newbie but with a lot of determination. It's been 3 months since I've been reading books and articles 10-12h a day and watching videos. Looks like I might buy the boat before I know how to use her. Ha ha. I will be pain in the beep by asking tons of questions probably. Thanks for having me and please smile! IT IS FREE!*
Mansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Smile, Live, Dance and Sail

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mansail.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 16:05   #3

Welcome Aboard Mansail!!

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife, and daughter and everything that you have gone through due to the accident. You Sir are a very strong, tough, and determined individual.

I have found the folks on the forum to be knowledgeable and helpful. For me I started actively sailing in my 60’s. If there is a sailing club near your home, it will be worth your while to give them a call and explain what your goals are.

Once again welcome aboard.
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 16:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry for your troubles, Mansail. It sounds like you were lucky to survive.

And, welcome aboard CF. You will receive a lot of conflicting advice here. Here's mine. Go buy a small sailing dinghy and get on the water and learn to sail. Sell it or keep it for a dinghy, and get involved in crewing on boats in low level club sailing, where you will experience a variety of skippers and boats, which will inform your choices when you are ready to buy a keel boat and start learning about boat systems. See if you really like it, or if the desire is more of a passing dream. Lots of folks dream about the freedom of cruising, but later find they are not suited for it.

Ann
Old 05-10-2020, 01:15   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

welcome to the forum
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 22:43   #6

What a great attitude, enjoy the journey, it's extra special for you.

#illsailwithyou
tanngrisnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:55   #7

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry for your troubles, Mansail. It sounds like you were lucky to survive.

And, welcome aboard CF. You will receive a lot of conflicting advice here. Here's mine. Go buy a small sailing dinghy and get on the water and learn to sail. Sell it or keep it for a dinghy, and get involved in crewing on boats in low level club sailing, where you will experience a variety of skippers and boats, which will inform your choices when you are ready to buy a keel boat and start learning about boat systems. See if you really like it, or if the desire is more of a passing dream. Lots of folks dream about the freedom of cruising, but later find they are not suited for it.

Ann
Very solid advice!

Tags
sail