Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2008, 04:53   #16

Boat: Islander 36
You might just try picking up a roll of shrink wrap. I would think spraying it liberally with protectrant and then shrink wrapping would protect both it from some water damage and your boat interior from the oily mess and scratching to at least some degree. A hard sided case takes up a lot of space. A roll of shrink wrap would take up a lot less. But the main thing of course would be to not let it set all wrapped up for long periods. As with much of what we do, there are trade offs. Shrink wrap is "one time" use of course, so for less trash and quicker storage I'd consider some additional type of cheap padding type cover rather than having a sunbrella one made. You'll put holes in a nice professionally made cover in short order.

I had some really beautiful folding bikes. But I figured that I would always be worried about leaving them vulnerable to theives when we would step inside of a shope or eatery. I've also thought about go-peds or roller blades or any number of ways to get around. In the end, the idea of walking and taxis works well enough (read cheap)for me.

The guy who bought my folding bikes asked me about having some covers made for them. I was working for my friends yacht canvas shop at the time. But I suggested he use a couple of old sleeping bags instead. That gave him padding and oil absorbent protection at the same time. But mostly it was way cheap, which can buy you time to figure out something that works better for you.
Old 26-09-2008, 06:52   #17

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I have a foldable aluminum electric scooter that stores in a golf bag travel case in the aft lazzerette. It goes about 20mph and has a range of 20 miles. As it weighs only `30 pounds, it is easily carried to shore. It is all I need to run errands.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 07:00   #18

Boat: Hirsch Gulfstar 45 Magic Genie
After spending $80.00 a day on rental cars I started taking my bike. My boat is a Hirsch Gulfstar 45 and I keep it on the back deck. I made a plywood floor to keep it on and bolted it to the toe rail. I then strip the plastic off it (1300 Hayabusa) and use a short ramp that attaches to the plywood floor. Tying off hard against the dock it's pretty easy to roll it on board. Then I tie the bike down to the toe rail and wrap the the bike with plastic wrap. The bike only weighs about 400 pounds so it helps offset the 200' of 3/8 chain forward with the 65lb Bruce. It's alittle work but has a huge payoff. In Mexico, C--a, Bahamas and DR there is no problem as long as you have registration and insurance.
funsailthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 09:45   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
funsailtheykeys,

That's not a motorcycle.....that's a frikking ROCKET.....
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 11:14   #21

I wish!

Sorry to say that mine is the older 02-07 version.
Old 26-09-2008, 11:47   #22

Boat: Gemini105mc sailing catamaran boat name : Lucid Dreams
Wow ! You guys are amazing ! As I already said, I would only unload the bike on those occasions when I`m gonna be tied to a dock for a couple days. I would never try to put a bike of that size in my dinghy. I`m now completely sold on the idea of at least trying it, but due to some wise comments I may re-think what SIZE of bike to take. Plates & license For around the world please, sign me up ! I`m gonna buy a used bike with these things specifically in mind .If I ruin a bike worth a couple grand,but in the proccess can figure out how to do this ,I would call that money well spent. Then , having it refined a bit, I`ll buy a nice, new bike to take with me . I`ll ask before I unload it , or maybe I`ll just bone up on the laws a little bit so I know ahead of time where it`s okay and where it`s not. As far as having to pick between being a sailor or a biker, I don`t see that at all my friend ,for you see , I live on my boat, but I want to explore the world. Land too , when I do eventually get there. A bike might come in real handy say,down in old mexico ? Just to name one place. Thanks again all of you. I really appreciate the warm welcome,and you being willing to share some of your golden nuggets of wisdom with me.
1Raven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 11:55   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Folding Bike DI BLASI Mod. R24:

Since you're in Florida, and you have your heart set on some motorized wheels. Check these folks out. This didn't work for me, but it just might for you.......BEST WISHES in succeeding.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 12:07   #24

funsailthekeys has A 1300 cc bike on a 45 ? !!! That`s it ,I`ll be the guy with a new DRZ 400cc dualsport on my Gemini , and a smile as wide as the carribean on my face !!! I also plan on making a few mods to secure it in place ,but it`s that salty air & water that most concerns me. Shrink wrap you say ? Hmmm !? Got to admit I don`t have a better idea, just sounds kind of funny I guess. The only thing that matters is that it works. Out of curiosity, funsailthekeys,How is your bike holding up to the elements ?
Old 26-09-2008, 12:13   #25

Thanks imaginetofrolic ,I looked , but I need to be road legal, and most importantly for me,I also want to go offroad as well .That`s why I keep mentioning ,enduro, or dual sport bikes ,In my post,But thanks anyway.All help is sincerely appreciated.
Old 26-09-2008, 12:32   #26

The bike is doing well, it's the kickstand that's soft steel that is a little rusty. Most of the bike is aluminium and plastic or well painted. If it is a wet crossing I use spray silicone for extra protection. The best protection is Glad Wrap plastic wrap. I use it liberally.
Old 26-09-2008, 12:47   #27

funsailthekeys, thanks man, you inspire me ! What parts do you spray the silicon on, Just the motor ,or all the mechanicals & cables too ?? Wow , this is actually going to work for me. I`m so happy I could drink a whole bottle of rum !!! BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED !!! !!! !!!
Old 26-09-2008, 14:17   #28

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Busa on a sailboat? You, sir, are brilliant.

1Raven1, a DRZ 400 would be the P-E-R-F-E-C-T sail boat motorcycle. Niiiice choice. That would be a really good bike to have ANYWHERE in the world.
Old 26-09-2008, 14:21   #29
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
You might consider plugging the intake and exhaust to air tight specs. Salt air drifting in through the open valves could ruin an engine quickly. I would spray the brake disks with a silicone coating and use a brake cleaner to remove any gunk before riding. Use a liberal coating of chain lube as well as coating the sprockets. If you won't run the engine for an extended period then start the engine and leave the gas off so the engine runs out and dies. That way you don't have gas turning to varnish in the carburator jets and leaving you without transportation.
My self. I have two GT bicycles for traveling. That's all I want to wrestle on and off a boat into a dingy.
If this works out for you I have an old 57 Harley I may just keep after all!
Old 26-09-2008, 16:11   #30

Thanks ,I somehow feel indebted. What a wonderful forum.

Tags
liveaboard