Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 08:44   #1

Skipper Pat, s/v Malolo

Hello to all Mariners, Sailors, Squids and Lobsterbacks who sail the Seven Seas! This is Skipper Pat, s/v Malolo out of San Francisco Bay, California, USA. Malolo is my wife Chaunte's and my Newport 33, currently home-ported at Brickyard Cove Marina, Point Richmond.

I'm new to the Cruisers and Sailing Forum- this is my first thread/ post. By way of introduction, I'm the son of a career US Navy veteran, and spent the first 16 years of my life outside the USA. Born on an island in the Caribbean, I've lived in Puerto Rico, Germany, Japan, Key West Florida., the Philippines, Mexico, Papua New Guinea and California. By age 11 I had made two crossings of the Atlantic and two crossings of the Pacific by ship, courtesy of the US Navy. All this sea travel and living either on or near the ocean gave me a taste for the Sea. At age 12 I began learning to sail on Sunfish class boats in Key West. What Fun!!

After many years away from the Sea and sailing, after retirement in 2011 we bought our first sailboat, a Hunter 25.5, and began sailing San Francisco Bay and the California Delta, with trips up the Napa River to the city of Napa. When sailing, we fly the US Fllag, the Scottish Royal ensign ("On a field Or, a lion rampant, Gules"- basically, a red lion, rearing, against a gold background), and the burgee of the Hidden Harbor Yacht Club, a PICYA-affiliated Club based at Ryer Island, Rio Vista, CA. We are past members of the Berkeley Yacht Club, Berkeley, California, USA.

In 2017 we bought Malolo and have been enjoying sailing on SF Bay in greater comfort and safety. Currently, we're outfitting Malolo to begin cruising the California Coast, with a planned roundtrip from SF to San Diego in October-November 2021.

ANY SAILORS OUT THERE WITH CALIFORNIA COASTAL CRUISING EXPERIENCE, WE'D APPRECIATE COMMENTS ON YOUR VOYAGES!!

Many Thanks,
Skipper Pat, s/v Malolo
HappySailor1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 08:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Skipper Pat, s/v Malolo

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pat.

Return trip S.D. ➛ S.F. might include a visit to Hawaii.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 09:19   #3

I suppose if you are comfortable sailing the open reaches of the S.F. Bay you would be fine in the open ocean. It's generally a sleigh ride heading south. I'm not much for harbor hopping, preferring to stay off the coast. But I would absolutely advise a stop at Morro Bay for there is the Hofbrau run by my good friends (well, their kids nowadays). They even have a dinghy dock.

Moss Landing has everything you need if you should be in need on the way south. However, I prefer Half Moon Bay since it does not require a reach well into the bay...which can add miles especially if you're running outside.

Beware of the winds and current around Davidson Seamount. As always, keep an eye to weather.

There are several protected anchorages along the Big Sur coast however that's all I will say. Study the chart to find them. You'll likely be the only one there or maybe sharing with a commercial fish boat. Said boat might be happy to supply you with dinner if you want to work that angle.

The autumn and winter months are usually fresh and clear. Its the summer which features fog, sometimes >20 miles off the beach. If you should desire San Simeon, anchor as close to the bluff as you dare.

Stay off the beach when rounding C. Arguello as it can get quite lumpy inside and/or feature wind shadows.

I like Ventura harbor more than Santa Barbara. I find it easier to lay Ventura. But I understand the draw to S.B. if it's your first time. It's a fine harbor but pay attention to entering due to the sandbar. I like to stay outside and hit the Channel Islands instead.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 20:41   #4

Welcome aboard!

mesogiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 01:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mesogiko.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper