Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 16:09   #1

pirate Single Mom Heading to Sea What She can See

Hi Everyone!

I've been captivated by sailing for the last 5 years. I'm a mother of 3 children (9-year old twins and a 13 year-old) with a month of part-time refitting and cruising experience on the great salt lake (roughly 4 years ago).

I'm a product designer in the tech industry so I'm confident I can maintain either continuous or intermittent remote work, as circumstances allow. Currently living in Texas, longing for the rugged PNW. I hope to meet and greet, ask questions, and gain as much experience as I can. Needless to say, I am full of excitement.

My timeline/intentions are follows:
1. Purchase boat in 1 1/2 to 2 years. Need experience to dictate monohaul vs. catamaran.
2. Liveaboard, refit, and travel up and down the west coast of U.S. part-time for 2 years
3. Full-time sailing

What would be especially invaluable, during the first 1 year living aboard, is teaming up with seasoned sailor/s who may live aboard in exchange for hands-on training.

Also, I'm also particularly fond of collaborating with engineers, videographers, musicians, and other visual artists so, if my post piques your interest, don't hesitate to reply/DM me.

Kind regards,

6f7a69
6f7a69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 16:20   #2

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Single Mom Heading to Sea What She can See

The PNW is not the most conducive place to obtain moorage for a catamaran. At least around the Seattle area.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 22:43   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.

As a Seattle boy I envy you. Currently stuck in San Diego.

Budget? Boat to buy will depend on budget to buy and outfit. Give that you intend to continue working no need to address the issue of ongoing expenses.

What are your plans for educating and socializing the kids?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:38   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

You sound like a very nice person. Please be very cautious about the web. Find a copy of The Sea Will Tell . There are a lot of predators and psychos who scan the web looking for nice people. Yacht clubs or sailing women schools might be a place to start. It was once yachting, a much smaller group where more was known about individuals...now it’s just as dangerous as any other public activity.
Please be very aware of the dangers in posting personal information.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 13:59   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, 6f7a69.

I'd like to know a name to call you by. I find it hard to relate to alphanumerics. Would you mind if I call you "Molly"?

I, too, was a single Mom, in my case, with 3 teenagers. We all survived.

Ann
Old 04-10-2022, 15:26   #6

Welcome 6f :-)

Like Ann, I have difficulty with alpha-numerics. Also with acronyms. That's the wages of being a geezer who came to these shores long, long ago from a land far, far away. Though I will say in my defense that more than half a century ago I was, with friends, on the leading edge of developing the syllabus that is used by sailing schools to this very day.

And even before that there was a lady whose domicile was Victoria. Canada, of course :-). Her name was Muriel. She was single mom to five kiddies of assorted ages. Having lost her husband (in the Kaiser's war if I remember correctly) she found the financial going fairly heavy back in the 1920, and she stretched her budget by renting out the family's cottage in Victoria during the summer months. She and the kiddies spent their summers exploring the Canadian end of the waters we now call the Salish Sea in a rather small motorboat on which they all lived happily the whole summer long. She set down an account of their adventures in a memoir called The Curve of Time. I know it is available through Amazon. I recommend most strongly that you get a copy :-)!

Since you are in Texas, you will, I dare say, have little idea of the weather regime of the Salish Sea. Not for nothing do we call this coast not the "west coast", but the "wet coast". Weather forecasting in these parts is utterly simple: If you can see the mountains, it's gonna rain. If you can't, it's raining! :-) That obviously has implications for a budding live-aboard. IMO it is a serious determinant when choosing between a mono and a cat.

But if you stay in touch, we can swat that one around later :-)

Again: Welcome!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, single