Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2011, 22:33   #1

Sailor to Pilot to Sailor

Hey folks!

I should start by saying I love the ocean and everything about it! My first job out of college was working for Norwegian Cruise Line America (NCLA) in Hawaii as a Golf Pro. I loved every four years of it (2005 - 2009).

Once I got my Pilot's license and got picked up for Officer Training School for the USAF, flying was my new love. However, after 3 months in AL, 2 years in TX, 6 months in AR plus another 6 months in NM (current location), I have discovered I'm going to Eglin AFB, FL (DESTIN!) for the next 3 years!!! OCEAN!!!

So, I want to buy a boat. And if possible...LIVE ON IT!

Thus my quest and knowledge for information. Thanks for the help in advance!
SeaAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 22:58   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Sailor to Pilot to Sailor

Welcome to CF.

OK, you gave your history and desire. You seem to be asking for advice. But we need a bit more definition to your desires and your means in order to advise you.

What kind sailing do you want to do? Daysailing, gunkholing, short cruises, long cruises? Racing? All of the above?
How many in your familial unit?
What kind of a bank roll do you have to 'waste' on this adventure?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 23:07   #3

Ah, I was just posting an intro...

However, since you ask...

I'm single for starters.

Looking for a 30 - 40 foot Cruiser or Motor Yacht (used).

Will be living on it 130 days out of the year (the rest of the time deployed or traveling for the USAF). When not in a slip (if I can find one in the Destin area) I'll be heading out for one or two trips to the Keys and then entertaining friends on weekends/possibly chartering it out (just a thought though).

Looking to make the worst investment of my life for about 65K give or take a little.

However, I'm completely new to owning (well, boating in general). I've been reading non-stop for the last 48 hours though...so quick and eager to learn.
Old 15-07-2011, 23:25   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander

It amazes me how many of us pilots also love to sail. It's really a very similar activity. There is a specific skill set that needs to be learned - basically not that difficult but takes a lifetime to "enhance". It takes a knowledge base that that is important to keep you safe, and the wisdom and practice to do a good job of integrating them.

Welcome aboard
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 23:27   #5

Very well said Sir!
Old 15-07-2011, 23:49   #6

My original fantasy as a kid was to fly F4s off carrier decks. I'm probably pretty fortunate that the Navy wasn't interested in my less than perfect eyes or I may not have made it back from where they got used a lot. The airlines were a lot less picky. What are you flying to keep us safe?
Old 16-07-2011, 00:25   #7

This is very true! F4's were a mean looking plane and a favorite of mine as well!

I'm finishing up my flight training here in Albuquerque, NM for the MC-130P Combat Shadow. It's an old legacy bird and it will only be in service for about another year or two as we are upgrading to the new MC-130J.

If you don't know, it's a variation of the classic C-130. We do a special ops mission that involves infiltration/exfiltration of Spec Ops forces (SEALs, Rangers, etc.). In addition, we do air-to-air helicopter and tilt-rotor (CV-22 Osprey) refueling.

It's a great mission! We fly 300-500 feet AGL at night time through the mountains for hours at a time! We can also do some close trail formation flying at 150 to 500 feet apart. With C-130's, that's kind of scary in my opinion...haha. Lots and lots of training though. I've been in since the beginning of 2009 and am still not fully qualified on this plane! I have some friends that I went through primary flight training with who have deployed twice now! That's okay though. My next squadron is busy right now so I'm sure I'll make up for it and then some!

What do you fly and who for?
Old 16-07-2011, 00:44   #8

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

SeaAir, my spouse and I are lazy sailors who live in Albuquerque, just a few miles from the base (home is near Louisiana and Constitution just south of I-40). We sail some at Heron Lake in the summer and Elephant Butte in the cooler months, and occasionally Arizona and other places. Message me and I'm sure we can get you acquainted with some local sailors and maybe even on a boat somewhere somehow. Also, I occasionally help the New Mexico state parks folks with their "Boating Basics" one-day safety class, which gives a lot of good general boating background. Pat
Old 16-07-2011, 00:45   #9

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

PS One of our dear friends in Albuquerque is a sailor who's retired USAF with great stories. But I'll have to warn you about some ex-navy guys in the local sailing community.
Old 16-07-2011, 00:50   #10

Haha, thanks for the heads up Pat. I'm in training with a Marine Pilot at the moment...the jokes never stop. :D

I'll send you a PM here soon and let's see what we can work out. I'd love to take you up on the offer (and take a safety class).
Old 16-07-2011, 00:54   #11

Welcome aboard! New Mexico isn't quite as dry as it may seem, even if it's a drought year.
Old 16-07-2011, 08:58   #12

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum SeaAir
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAir View Post
What do you fly and who for?
I retired from flying in 96 and returned to graduate school. While active, I flew for several regional carriers in Alaska - Alaska Centeral Express most recently and retired as their director of operations. The largest we operated was the Beech 1900 but used a lot of smaller piston aircraft for scheduled bush operations off unimproved strips in the villiges. With the advent of GPS approaches and a TON of DOT money spent upgrading air strips, flying up here is not nearly as "exciting" as it used to be.

I very much appreciate the work you do for us. Flying any version of the the C130 has to be a kick and doing that at 300 - 500 AGL through the mountains at night has got to keep you on a permanent adrenalin high - that would be a job for a much younger heart than mine. I now prefer to sail SLOWLY into my next adrenalin kick.
Old 18-07-2011, 20:56   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAir View Post
Ah, I was just posting an intro...

However, since you ask...

I'm single for starters.

Looking for a 30 - 40 foot Cruiser or Motor Yacht (used).

Will be living on it 130 days out of the year (the rest of the time deployed or traveling for the USAF). When not in a slip (if I can find one in the Destin area) I'll be heading out for one or two trips to the Keys and then entertaining friends on weekends/possibly chartering it out (just a thought though).

Looking to make the worst investment of my life for about 65K give or take a little.

However, I'm completely new to owning (well, boating in general). I've been reading non-stop for the last 48 hours though...so quick and eager to learn.
By cruiser do you mean sailboat, or is that an alternative form of motorboat?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 23:11   #15

By cruiser, folks here mean someone who is enjoying the cruising lifestyle, hanging out on the boat, voyaging, planning future voyages, seeing new places, meeting new people, at least somewhat pulling the plug on the shoreside rat race. It's sort of roughly a different end of the spectrum of sailing from small-boat short-track high-velocity buoy racing.

« Hello All ! | Hello »