Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 02:10   #61

Boat: Riviera 33'
Re: Sailing out of Singapore

And while I am asking questions...

Wondering about cruising times to the little islands east of Malaysia, Sibu/Tinggi/Babi/Aur/Tioman? If you've been there, how long at what speed? Any special locations you would recommend?
Old 17-06-2013, 02:20   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisticles View Post
That little beach next to the link between islands?
that, or go alongside the jetty and tie up ... it's on the other side just beyond the palm trees from the main lazarus beach ...

Quote:
Also, what about Kusu?
no allowed to tie up there ... regular ferry brings people to the chinese temple there ... and there's a swift current in the channel there ...

Quote:
And assuming there is no live firing, any decent beach spots around Sudong/Pawai/Senang?
hantu is nice ... again 2 islands with small bays ... drop anchor on the north side - much quieter ... the only downside is that u can get smells from the adjacent refinery ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 02:57   #63

Quote:
And while I am asking questions...

Wondering about cruising times to the little islands east of Malaysia, Sibu/Tinggi/Babi/Aur/Tioman? If you've been there, how long at what speed? Any special locations you would recommend?
i've done tioman, rawa, aur, sibu etc. a few times ... comments as below -

- tioman is approx. 120 nm from here ... no. of places on the western side for diving / snorkelling. has a marina if u need fuel.
- there's a small island NNW of tioman. on it's western side there are a couple of beautiful deserted pristine beaches.
- didn't much care for aur. a marine park with some rocks sticking out of the water ...
- rawa - has a resort. we got shitbagged at anchor and were forced to go ashore and get rooms. got ripped off big time. they knew we had nowhere to go.
- sibu - on the north end, there's a very nice deserted beach. great place to spend time snorkelling.

hope this helps.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 10:30   #64

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
i've done tioman, rawa, aur, sibu etc. a few times ... comments as below -

- tioman is approx. 120 nm from here ... no. of places on the western side for diving / snorkelling. has a marina if u need fuel.
- there's a small island NNW of tioman. on it's western side there are a couple of beautiful deserted pristine beaches.
- didn't much care for aur. a marine park with some rocks sticking out of the water ...
- rawa - has a resort. we got shitbagged at anchor and were forced to go ashore and get rooms. got ripped off big time. they knew we had nowhere to go.
- sibu - on the north end, there's a very nice deserted beach. great place to spend time snorkelling.

hope this helps.
Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone about Sibu!

The North end of Sibu there is a nice beach. Anchor in 8 to 10 m on a sandy bottom. Beware of the rock awash just east of the island. On shore, Rimba Resort have a nice bar and restaurant, a massage parlour and a dive shop.

About 5 miles NE, between Pulau Tinggi and the outlaying small rocks and coral barrier that lie south of it, there is a well protected anchorage. Stay away from the small islands because of the coral reefs. Holding is good all along close to Tinggi on a sandy bottom too. Great diving and snorkelling. There is a new contraption being built, stay away from it, belongs to royalty. On the west side of Tinggi, to the north, there is a nice beach with a derelict jetty. Great spot for swimming and stopping for the night on the way to Tioman.

Pulau Tulai, NW of Tioman has a beautiful anchorage you can enter on the west side. The beaches are, unfortunately, quite dirty. Snorkelling is good if visibility helps. Often there is a slight swell from the wsw which can make for uncomfortably rolly nights, but otherwise protected on three sides. Anchor in about 20 m to avoid rocks.

M
Old 18-06-2013, 03:12   #65

Haha Sibu looked like a good place on the charts if nothing else for an overnight away.

About how far?
Old 18-06-2013, 04:51   #66

Pulau Tioman is a good destination. Took me two days of sailing from SIN. Several cruiser characters always there. Sleepy. Tourists. Girls. Beer. Good airline and ferry connections. The islands and other anchorages, as others have mentioned, are quiet, pleasant, and rarely visited. I spent several months there. Left the boat in the marina for a trip to the US.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 06:44   #67

Quote:
Haha Sibu looked like a good place on the charts if nothing else for an overnight away.

About how far?
About 90 miles from Western Quarantine and Immigration.

I tend to check into Tg Pengelih first to make sure I have a stamp on my passport. I often don't go as far as Tioman which is the next port of entry. In theory if you stop in any of these islands you have to check in first. You can get away with not doing it as there is little control but if for some reason you need to go back into Malaysia it is handy to know you are legally in the country. The Customs and Immigration people in Pengelih Marina clear you within minutes if you come in during business hours. I just anchor outside the entrance in about 5 m and go in with the kayak and papers. Always friendly and quick. However, if you are going to go to Tioman, make sure you have your port clearance from Pengelih to Tioman. You just won't need to do immigration there.

Changing the subject, really nice breeze out there today, even if the smoke impaired the visibility. Managed to get some nice sailing. The water was clean and warm so the swimming was great too.
Old 25-06-2013, 20:05   #68
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

SIN-P. Aur 20 hours non-stop from Raffles Marina. Then 5 hours P. Aur to Tioman. All under 5-6 knots of motoring and motor-sailing (not much wind last week). 22 hours from Tioman to Raffles. If you are based in Changi, then it may take you around 6-7 hours less each way.

Immigration and customs are at the big building at the jetty at Tekek village, harbour master is at the marina building next door. Use the big white moorings next to the jetty when clearing in/out. You need to call immigration (013 9961449) and customs by phone, it will take them 15 minutes to go to their office.

The marina is mostly full, and power does not work everywhere. It's nicer to anchor anyway.

Anchor in 12-15 meters (sand) off Berjaya Resort (pulau Rengis or something like that). Let out enough scope, we had 24 knots in the middle of the night last week. Nice corals and some baby blacktips at Rengis, you must go snorkelling there.

Bring mozzie repellant, there are some hungry sand flies at the beach.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:07   #69

Quote:

About how far?
Did you have any luck contacting the engineer? He is now back in Sing, though he may be a bit busy.

M
Old 04-07-2013, 18:23   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Did you have any luck contacting the engineer? He is now back in Sing, though he may be a bit busy.

M
Hi Capn, yes we spoke and emailed and I'm waiting on a quote now. Frustrating as I need my exhaust pipe fixed to move anywhere and I was off work all of this week! Anyway, would prefer to get it done right...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45   #71

Quote:
Hi Capn, yes we spoke and emailed and I'm waiting on a quote now. Frustrating as I need my exhaust pipe fixed to move anywhere and I was off work all of this week! Anyway, would prefer to get it done right...
He'll do it right.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:52   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
He'll do it right.
A week later still no quote...guess he is not hungry for work...any suggestions for an alternative?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11   #73

Quote:
A week later still no quote...guess he is not hungry for work...any suggestions for an alternative?
Damn, sorry about that. It is more likely that it is his boss being too busy than him. Give him a ring. I'll try and think of someone and pm or phone you.

Tags
Singapore