Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 22:37   #1

SafeMarina says: "Hello" from Halfmoon Bay

I am new to this forum, but thought I would say hello just to get started. Why am I here? I have been behind a desk for many years creating, promoting and operating my web based businesses and needed to find a way to get out more so what did I do? I created a small business that has grown into a full time job! I now get out a lot while checking boats for security, safety, and functional problems. When people leave their boats for weeks on end it makes me wonder how many of these same people are disappointed (to make an understatement) when they come back and find they forgot to put the plug in! Or they forgot to put their bumpers out. I have seen this type of thing and much worse in marinas where there was supposed to be security, but, as it turned out, not a personalized service such as we offer. Anyway, I hope to see you on the waves sometime.
Is your plug in?
Let us check your boat when you can't.
SafeMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 23:51   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Welcome aboard!! Sounds like a good service. Make certain you check the commercial side of this forum just to be legal.
Just for information what you call bumpers are more correctly named fenders.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I use to liveaboard(sneekaboard) there. Do you know my friend Rod on Loa Tzu?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:57   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Sounds like a good idea and I'm guessing you've proved it works ok and have adequate insurance if one of your guys adjusting a line actually places the boat in greater danger?
Also suggest you add a police check to the credentials you expect from the people doing the checks ....
And lastly as has been suggested above....knowing the right words for the right bits of kit on a boat will help build the service credibility..............
Good luck!
JOHN
Cheers
Old 12-04-2008, 17:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha,
Welcome aboard!! Sounds like a good service. Make certain you check the commercial side of this forum just to be legal.
Just for information what you call bumpers are more correctly named fenders.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Thank you for the technical correction SkiprJohn. As I said, I don't get out much, but that is changing.

I have heard many people call them bumpers, but you are right to correct me. After all, communication is the key and if I am not using the right terminology then it will affect the credibility of the service I offer (as Swagman pointed out in another post below), and may cause misunderstandings that could lead to problems. Fenders it is.
Is your plug in?
Old 12-04-2008, 17:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I use to liveaboard(sneekaboard) there. Do you know my friend Rod on Loa Tzu?
Maybe you are thinking of a different Halfmoon Bay. I am on the sunshine coast(where it rains half the year) in British Columbia, Canada. There is another Half Moon Bay in California.
Is your plug in?
Old 12-04-2008, 17:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Sounds like a good idea and I'm guessing you've proved it works ok and have adequate insurance if one of your guys adjusting a line actually places the boat in greater danger?
Also suggest you add a police check to the credentials you expect from the people doing the checks ....
And lastly as has been suggested above....knowing the right words for the right bits of kit on a boat will help build the service credibility..............
Good luck!
JOHN
Cheers
Thank you. That is good advice, all of it.

I am not sure what you mean by "proved it works ok" but if you mean "Is it financially viable?" the answer is "Maybe". We will see what happens in the fall as that will be the busiest time after spending the summer advertising and marketing. So far we are ahead of the game so it looks like it is going to "work ok".
Is your plug in?
Old 12-04-2008, 20:27   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It never ceases to amaze me how how little some boat owner check up on their boats. I have seen boats slowly sink over a period of a few days or be tied to the dock by two lines. It sounds like the business could work if you can manage to find those types of people who don't stay on top of how their boats are doing either because a of a lack of time in their lives or unawareness that boats, unlike cars that are parked in a garage, do need to be checked up on, on a frequent basis.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 22:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how how little some boat owners check up on their boats.
The idea for this business came to me one day while watching millions of dollars worth of boats get tossed around in the gale force winds and huge swells (yes even in the harbor in spite of being almost completely surrounded by land) we experienced in November, 2006. No one was around (not much you could do anyway at that point) but I wondered how many boat owners were sitting at home worrying about their boat. Then I realized that if I had their phone numbers I could phone them and then it dawned on me that they might be willing to pay for a service like that. Peace of mind is worth a lot to some people, while others thrive on turmoil (but that is for a different forum.)
Is your plug in?