Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 11:27   #1

?s about sarting off in sailing

I am totally new to sailing. I would like to get into it. Eventually I want to sail from the U.S. to Brazil. I need some advice on what kind of sailing school to go to. Would an American Sailing Association School be a good choice? Would completing the ASA test be worth anything for international sailing? Oh and does anyone know where I could find Coast Guard laws on making a sailboat to meet code? Sorry about all my ?s Also would two men be able to handle a 27 foot sailboat? Thanks so much for your help.
hershbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 14:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
any sailing school would be OK. You need a school you can get to near you. The ASA courses are very good. Completing the course only teaches you to sail. Completion through the first three course might be enough to let you charter a boat. You don't need a cerificate to sail a boat but if you don't know how you need to learn. Just completion of the courses won't be possible without a lot of practice.

International sailing is the same sailing no matter where it is.

US Coast Gaurd rules apply to all vessles not just sail boats. It lists the required equipemnt that must be aboard to comply with federal laws. It does not matter how it's built just that it has the required safety equipment.

Two men could handle a sail boat if they knew how to sail. One woman could handle a sail boat if she knew how to sail. It's the knowing how to sail part that is more important than the number of people. sAILING TO Brazil might best be done on a bigger boat. While I know someone that did they assure me they wouldn't do it again.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 14:39   #3
Bob Norson

sailing is not rocket science... One good way to go is find a cheap small boat or sailing dinghy, sabot, laser, even a wind surfer(a large floating one, not one of the small wave boards) and find a sheltered bay to go sort it out. The largest sailing ship just compounds the basics that you will learn in the small boat. As far as boat size and short handed sailing... I regularly single hand my 40 foot 16 ton ketch for coastal cruising (day sailing) but would prefer a crew or two for night watches off shore.

just do it!

Cheers
Old 07-03-2006, 01:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Bob says, smaller boats make great learners. Smaller sailboats (especially unballasted dinghys) are much less “forgiving” than larger boats, and your mistakes are much more apparent. Since we learn, partly by making mistakes, the curve is much steeper.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote