Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2007, 07:04   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Question Restarting the dream

Hi everyone, New to this forum but not to sailing. Based in southern Ireland and cruised western Europe in a Condor 31 canoe sterned long keeler. Sold it when the kids were young and things were tighter almost a decade ago. Big mistake, but ready to re-start the dream. Have been doing the odd delivery, crewing, and chartering (in the Med) for the last 8 years. I've been researching value vs suitability for the last year, and have found that while European production boats offer the best in this area as the kids grow and share summer cruises, what (I think) I'm really looking for is a blue water proven long keeler, or medium to heavy displacement skegged yacht, which I have mainly seen for sale in the U.S.
I know that long term cruising is in my future, but am still constrained by the educational issues of three kids under 12. To this end, I also know if you wait long enough for the right time to go, your life will pass you by. At least I now have the comfort of starting again from scratch, sharing advice etc., and having that bit more experience in life and sailing I don't want to rush into a purchase I might regret later.
I have put some research into the following makes, and wonder if any forum members would have any thoughts or experience of them. Also with the U.S. makes, has anybody purchased there and shipped or sailed back to Europe - I am having difficulty nailing down just how much importation tax has to be paid to register here, or if an offshore registration would limit use or stay length in Europe.
Alubat Ovni 345, aluminium centreboarder favoured by Jimmy Cornell.
Hans Christian and Lord Nelson double enders. Passport and Hylas from the U.S. side, Rustler and Tradewind more locally. I have been most impressed, however, by the Crealock range, hence the importation question. Burning to get back on the water, so here's the rub - buy a Dufour or Jeanneau and get the kids acquainted, or continue researching and saving for a few more years to get something for the longer term . . or a combination of both, trading up in a few years!!?? 43 now, would like to set a realistic target of 5 to 7 years to slip the lines completely.
Fair winds to everybody, this forum seems really useful . . if anything, it's accelerated the adrenalin! Thanks in advance to anyone with a comment!
mickmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 07:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
When importing a boat into the EU, you have to pay the VAT, and obtain a CE mark.
The biggest problem facing someone importing a boat from the US or outside Europe is conforming to the new EU legislation (Recreational Craft Regulations 2004 - RCR), which requires any boat to have a CE mark, whether it is constructed in Europe or imported for personal use to Europe (unless it was in the EU before 1998). This is probably not a do-it-yourself process.

Some References:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/innovation/str...page32317.html

http://www.dti.gov.uk/innovation/str...page12637.html

Enterprise - New Approach - Harmonised standards for recreational craft

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 07:44   #3

Thanks Gord, just to clarify, it will be a secondhand boat, but the CE regs as kindly quoted by you could be, as you say, an even larger hurdle. . .
Old 26-03-2007, 11:08   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mickmul,
Welcome aboard!! You've already gotten some response to your questions. I don't have anything further to add other than I hope you can keep your dream alive. You've named some great boats and choosing one over the other is going to be quite difficult.
As you know there is a lot of expense in just keeping a boat so if you aren't ready to put a lot of time onboard then I'd do the waiting and saving for a large Hans Christian. Just my opinion.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 16:10   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Frankly, a crusing boat is a boat in which you go cruising. If you are going to be predominantly crusing in the Med, then a Jenneau or Dufour or Beneteau or Elan, or any of the European production boats is a perfectly acceptable choice. If getting a "local" production boat is going to get you back on the water significantly sooner, without logistical import headaches and with a smaller dent in the hip-pocket, why wouldn't you?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 05:02   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Mick,
Welcome to the forum. Think you'll find most of the aychts you've named are already CE approved - we certainly seem some cruising in the Med. I'm from the school where you don;t put off until tomorrow what you can possibly do today (if its pleasurable of course) so as others have suggested - get what you can now and when you want to move onward (if you ever do) to a more solid yacht, you can do that then.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-03-2007, 06:56   #7

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
Hi Mick,
Welcome to the forum. Think you'll find most of the aychts you've named are already CE approved - we certainly seem some cruising in the Med. I'm from the school where you don;t put off until tomorrow what you can possibly do today (if its pleasurable of course) so as others have suggested - get what you can now and when you want to move onward (if you ever do) to a more solid yacht, you can do that then.
Cheers
JOHN
Hi John and thanks for the advice, enjoyed your Swagman blog, best of luck over the coming years, love to take you up on those innovations mentioned - we've a local Hanse charterer here, must have a closer look! best regards, Mick
Old 29-03-2007, 09:52   #8

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
re-starting the dream

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum!!! You'll enjoy the great people, excellent questions and even better, honest and sincere sailors here!

Even though life brings challenges, such as work, life, family and jobs. Look at it this way, your dream and joy of sailing is not restarting, you're merely taking life of pause and hitting the "play" button again!

Fair winds and calm seas! Again, welcome!

Mark
Green Bay, WI
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 10:57   #9

Boat: none
Mick,
If you need help sailing her back, I live in the US, but I have family in Ireland and I visit every year......

In the same situation as yourself but with 4 kids under 10.
John_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 11:34   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Having known a couple of people who have imported boats into the EU I would suggest buying an EU built boat; Even a 2nd hand boat will require the CE testing- for which you will pay, plus there will be an importation tax of VAT equality. That being said you will pay less for an EU boat in the US than you would in Europe, enough to make it well worth while
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 03:32   #11

Thanks guys, a lot of water under the keel since the original post. I've learned that it is almost impossible to get CE testing complete on a U.S. import without going over the cost of buying in Europe . . apparently the major manufacturers have lobbied the powers that be to make it very uncomfortable for those who would take advantage of a strong euro to import a good American yacht . . has anyone out there any first hand experience? John, drop me a line next time you're here - we might go sailing. . .
Old 23-04-2008, 10:04   #12

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmul View Post
anyone out there any first hand experience? John, drop me a line next time you're here - we might go sailing. . .
Hello Mick,
I will be in Cork in June for a week and a bit, I was going to ask you where I could get some sailing in. I'd be up for renting a boat. I will PM you my personal email.

Cheers,
John_621 is offline   Reply With Quote