Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 13:18   #1

Boat: Catalina 14.2
Ramming Speed . . . Yo Ho Ho !

Hello gentle people!

I've been lurking a bit and it seems you guys have made a fine home for youselves here. I hope I don't hurt the property value too badly.

New to sailing. Close to zero experience (outside of some classes taken at UCSB 15 years ago). Want to learn and set sail around the world in 2030 (if pirates haven't made it impossible to get through the GoA and if we stave off the apocolypse that long).

Anyhow, my current plan" consists of something like the following:
  • ASA classes 101-104 over the course of the next few months (checking out schools this weekend)
  • Getting on board as rail meat for some local races, if any boat has enough bad taste to let me on board
  • Charter small boats and learn what makes them flip over and what makes them sail well (plan to practice on this for a number of years)
  • Try to get on a trans-pacific race / get some open water experience
  • In twenty years of this, get skills and experience that might help me from sinking it on the way around the planet. Hope to get my own boat along the way, but not for some time...
That's about it. I've got two awesome girls, 3 and 1 right now, and a great wife. Wife's not really interested in being at sea, so my dream's my own, for better or worse. I'd like, though, to make sailing a part of our family's life and my children's upbringing. I think it could give them a sense of confidence and freedom that might be increasingly rare...

Looking forward to getting to know you (I'm in the Los Angeles area, if anyone likes to drink beer), and to someday bringing more to the potluck than I take away...

Best,

Robert

P.S. blog page, just in case anyone's interested - seems like everyone's got one of these now...

S/V Nekayah
Robert G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 13:33   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
fascinating. you're the second new member today who has started a cruising blog while in the pre-boat phase.

welcome to CF. if this keeps up, we'll have to start a support group for pre-boat cruising bloggers. all part of the service, I suppose.
Old 28-07-2010, 13:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

Sorry, I'm unable to locate the PayPal button, on your blog.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 13:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

Sorry, I'm unable to locate the PayPal button, on your blog.
LOL - Classic.

Old 28-07-2010, 13:42   #5

To be honest, I'm torn.

I feel that the number of people who want to get into cruising may lead to a deflationary spiral in the value of the status conferred on those who've done it already, and do it presently.

I almost don't want to do it, because I hate to dilute the experience for those who have done it before me. I feel like a Johnny-come-lately just hitching one more cart onto the bandwagon, and hate the thought of "cramping" the very style that's desired for its open space.

Anyhow, I'll tryto get a boat ASAP, and thanks for the welcome. I sincerely do hope newbies like me don't damage the culture.

R
Old 28-07-2010, 13:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT G View Post
... I feel that the number of people who want to get into cruising may lead to a deflationary spiral in the value of the status conferred on those who've done it already, and do it presently.
I almost don't want to do it, because I hate to dilute the experience for those who have done it before me...
Only "almost"?
Shame.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 14:01   #7

What can I say? I try!
Old 28-07-2010, 14:02   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Only "almost"?
Shame.
Gord! I never knew this side of you. You're always so . . . helpful.

LOL.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 14:05   #9

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Quote:
I feel that the number of people who want to get into cruising may lead to a deflationary spiral in the value of the status conferred on those who've done it already, and do it presently.

I almost don't want to do it, because I hate to dilute the experience for those who have done it before me. I feel like a Johnny-come-lately just hitching one more cart onto the bandwagon, and hate the thought of "cramping" the very style that's desired for its open space.
R
nah, the world's a big enough place for all of us

just don't anchor right next to me
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 14:17   #10

You're too kind, and I hope you're right.

I promise to anchor at least 18 inches from your vessel. Any more than that, though, and I think the meter maids will ticket me.
Old 29-07-2010, 14:59   #11
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
you guys are killing me , i work for a living and dont have time for this banter.... someone put a picture up,im bored
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 19:30   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
R
The object it to get to know more about boats(ing) then the rest of us. Then you'll be in the top league, and then, you'll have to replace one of us ole salts as were wrapped all in mains'l tight. With ten turns of hausers bight, then heaved over out of sight into a sullen swell, ten fathoms deep on a road to ............. well.
Old 29-07-2010, 22:23   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
To be honest, I'm torn.

I almost don't want to do it, because I hate to dilute the experience for those who have done it before me. R
While it may be possible to dilute the status of cruisers, you can't dilute their experience (ie skills and knowledge) nor their experiences (memories of good times and bad). We will hold on to those regardless of what you do (at least until the Alzheimer's sets in next month.)
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 22:23   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I think the oceans are large enough to hold all the cruisers. I truly think there are less now than in the 70s and 80s. At least that's the case here in Hawaii.
Good to have you here.
regards,
Old 30-07-2010, 22:54   #15

Boat: PETERSON 44
That did not read lke rammng speed. It's more like we driftng through an anchorage in fog. Drifting in this case is better than ramming speed ?you have a freat gift and la responsablitt your chld. The trick will be not to ram your dream but to fnesse a desire. F you slow down you'll probably have more success's and enjoy the days with what you have.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote