Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2007, 19:48   #1

proud and green

hello, Trevor Cangelosi here, the proud new owner of a Newport Mk III 1985 sailboat that I've been restoring the last 3 weeks. I'll be living on it this summer in Charleston SC and had a few questions for you experts out there.

1) My prop was just stolen (remarkable considering the very poor condition it was in) and I've replaced it (it WAS a 13 RH 11 that was then re pitched to a 13 rh 9)...I've replaced it with a 12 RH 12 that I got on ebay for cheap...just bought the prop actually, will it work ok do you think?

2) I've overheated enough motors in my time to develop a profound hate for thermostats. my boat will be in pretty warm water in Charleston, can I just take it out and run it without one or will this damage my Universal M 18 motor?

3) does anyone have or recommend a wind generator for charging batteries?

4) where can I find new sails for my boat?

thanks so much, my boat is named "Into The Mystic", a Van Morrison reference.....
trevor (Charleston, SC) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 21:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Rolly Tasker...

If you know exactly what you want and can measure accuratly then Rolly Tasker in Thailand has a nice loft.

I visited them a few years ago and it looked like a good setup.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 00:06   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Trevor,
Trust you enjoy using the site and good luck with the new yacht
JOHN
Old 20-03-2007, 04:52   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
If the prop was a good deal, it's certainly worth a try. It may not be exactly right, but I'll bet it gets you around the harbor easily enough.

Diesels run best when up to temperature so a thermostat is a good idea. I consider removing it an emergency measure only. One thing to consider is whether the engine is raw water cooled or has a heat exchanger (fresh water cooled). The thermostats are different. You don’t want sea water to run as warm as you do on fresh. Speeds corrosion.

Check a couple of the cruising magazines and internet. There are some used sail dealers out there. If you are doing this renovation on a tight budget, you may be able to get decent sails with a few years life in them at a comparatively low cost.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 09:20   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Trevor, you might check CraigsList for your prop (or similar size boats in the yard). Police in NY just busted some genius who stole a MOORING and then put it up on the local CraigsList for sale.

But as to thermostats? If engines didn't need them, they wouldn't come with them. Yeah, you can run without one, but you cannot run well or properly without one. If the cooling system is working properly, the whole engine gets optimum performance and economy. If any part of it is removed...you're either going to throw away fuel or hurt the engine, one way or the other. Pull the thermostat and you'll probably just be throwing away fuel, and if you're rich enough to do that, you can make lots of great new friends by just stacking it on the dock next to your boat.<G>

A thermostat can last an easy ten years. They are simple and robust machines--and only one part of a proper cooling system and healthy engine.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 11:39   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Trevor,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. If you do a few searches on this forum for sails you'll find a whole list of places that offer new and used sails.
The thermostat is good to have. A diesel doesn't do well running too cool.
Your eBay prop might be overpitched a bit and if it is then it will make your engine run hot at lower RPM. Check our threads on proper propeller size.
Hope you enjoy the forum.
Is your boat the 30 foot model?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 12:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For good used Sails Goto Bacon & Associates
Bacon Sails

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 16:18   #8

Boat: C&C 27
Trevor, depending on how much battery you have you may want to go solar. I use a 6 watt seimans on two group 27s and it always keeps them topped up.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote