Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2023, 16:46   #1

Prince Edward Island

I am new to this community and can use all help possible! Thanks...

I am interested in anyone who has cruised Prince Edward Island including the cruise up from Long Island Sound. Thanks!
AnneBonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 17:02   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Prince Edward Island

Welcome!

That's a beautiful stretch of coast. Books have been written about every little section of your proposed route. Tell us a little more about your boat, your plans, your experience level and, especially, exactly what you'd like to know.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 18:01   #3

2 Capt. aboard! Nordhavn 47! Northern latitudes new for one Capt. not for the other. Neither of us has been north of US border.
Old 06-06-2023, 18:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Have not been to PEI but while there check out Magdelin Island. Quite interesting and very French.

The only challange is how to. Ross the Bay of Fundy. I jump across about Marblehead to Shelborne. Sherborn is a lovely town. Small marina but can arrange big fuel deliveries.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 21:34   #5

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy AnneBonny:

1) Like hpeer, my crossing of Bay of Fundy was always Massachucets-to-Sherburne, so the famously strong Bay of Fundy tides won't be too significant. Albeit on one departure from Shelburne the last sea buoy I passed was laying over at 45 degrees. When crewing on a powerboat--at 4 knots--going from Bar Harbor to Shelburne it was a 24 hour passage so the tides in-and-out canceled each other.
2) It's been 30 years since I sailed those waters, but back then you could tie up to a government-provided fishing dock for free.
3) P.E.I.: lots to see and do there; and unlike Nova Scotia or Maine there is never any fog. AND, the natives are friendly. <grin>
4) Magdelin Islands: A very interesting place; French is the primary language, but enough people speak English for you to make you needs known. AND it has a much better selection of wine. <BIG grin>
5) If anyone on your boat is a smoker take LOTS with you. (One way they pay for their universal health care system is to have heavy "Sin" taxes. Alcohol will also be approximately 50% higher than in the U.S. <sigh>
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfant Du Vent View Post
Ahoy AnneBonny:

3) P.E.I.: lots to see and do there; and unlike Nova Scotia or Maine there is never any fog. AND, the natives are friendly. <grin>
5) If anyone on your boat is a smoker take LOTS with you. (One way they pay for their universal health care system is to have heavy "Sin" taxes. Alcohol will also be approximately 50% higher than in the U.S. <sigh>

Re 3) this isn't true. They have LESS foggy days but you cannot say NEVER ANY. Also, most folks in NS would prove your statement about not being friendly absolutely wrong. Just like anywhere, there are exceptions to everything.

Re 5) this is true about Canada in general and not just PEI.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 08:09   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’ve visited a friend in Prince Edward Island before and I loved it. The entire island is fantastic. The local foods. Fresh seafood. It’s one of the nicest places I have been to. The people are nice and friendly also.

There will be a lot of currents to deal with, make sure you are aware of the tide because the range is huge.

And there are lots of rocks so don’t make any navigation mistakes.

Given it’s a Northhaven of that size I imagine you have radar. You will probably need it with the fog that is frequent in the northeast like that.

Your other than that, water is water.

You will have a wonderful experience. It’s a great area. Everything’s a great area all the way up there. From the islands south of the Cape, to Downeast Maine, all the way to PEI. It is nice.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:42   #8

How bad are the tidal currents?
Old 08-06-2023, 05:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
How bad are the tidal currents?
Do you go through the race? Is that the part of Long Island you are in?

It’s a bit like that. But you’ll be in a more confined area so you’ll have to pay attention and account for them.

Nothing a Nordhavn can’t deal with.

You just have to pilot the vessel with the current in mind. And you’ll be quickly reminded. You’ll be trying to go up some area and not making the progress you feel like you should. The current will be subtracting from your progress. Or if you timed it better, it will be adding to your progress.

What about Hell gate? Do you go through there? Same type of thing. If you can handle the east river and Hell Gate, you are good to go.
Old 08-06-2023, 13:42   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I don't think I've encountered anything like the currents in New York's Hell Gate on my way to PEI and back. Not even like what you'll see in The Race. At least not offshore.

Go up any of the rivers (Merrimack, Piscataqua, Kennebec, etc.) and that's another story. In the Bay of Fundy, if you go that way, there are currents which will require you to take into account set and drift, but nothing I'd call challenging. Even the Canso Strait has a dam which keeps the current to a minimum.

I'm assuming in a Nordy 47 you'd be doing more long, rhumb line navigating, not hugging the coast anyway. Of course if you're doing overnights in port, you'll need to review the charts and possibly cruising guides for local knowledge, but that's true anywhere.

Overall, I'd say the only thing vaguely unique about navigating the New England and Atlantic Canada coast is the rocks. Very few shallow, sandy bottoms. You don't want to run aground here. It'll very likely be much worse than a mere inconvenience. Oh, and of course, the fog.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 13:44   #11

I was just trying to make them feel confident about it. If you have done Hellgate and the race you are not going to have a problem going to PEI.
Old 08-06-2023, 16:30   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Try this Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540

If you decide to come to Bay of Fundy/Grand Manan-I may be able to help.
I do suggest you go straight from Mass. or Me. to Shelburne,N.S-if you are headed to PEI.-You will avoid the lobster pots of Me.
Once you cross the border,lobster season is closed.

You could use the Canal @ Canso,N.S.-to save going up around Cape Breton.
You can avoid most tidal current effect if you stay away from land.
You are also safer in fog-less fishing boats away from land.
You really need radar for max. safety. Most under 60Ft fishing boats don't have AIS.
Have a look at MarineTraffic.com-Shipping traffic is light compared to US.
In Gulf of Me.,Fundy & SW N.S.,We don't consider it really foggy until vis gets below 1/4 NM. If you lower your speed for conditions , leave your Nav lights on & maintain good watch,1/4 NM vis is sufficient. And we do have sunny days also.
Cheers/Len
Old 11-06-2023, 21:44   #13

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy AnneBonny:

As CaptTom said, there is lots of information out there.
Here's one you might find useful:
-https://cruisingclub.org/voyages/cruising-nova-scotia
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 17:26   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote