Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2021, 14:48   #1

Thumbs up Plan is to circumnavigate with the family.

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have read many posts that look very similar to this. I will try and provide as much information as possible so that you find people, who have much more experience than I do, can help guide our decision-making.

I have some sailing experience mostly racing in Hawaii on Oahu but that was many many years ago...

My wife grew up on boats, but most of it on the Ohio and Mississippi River on motoring boats.

We are both undergoing sailing lessons and getting certifications/chartering as time allows while we save money.

That being said, we are both neophytes to Bluewater sailing, and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Our plan is to purchase in 18 to 24 months and begin cruising in Bahamas in Mexico for several months before branching out. The plan would be to live aboard and travel around as much as possible without spending much time at the marina. We are currently downsizing and putting our house on the market.

Plan currently is to purchase a used catamaran ?+/- 45 ft and retrofit depending on what is needed.

Things I would love your input on would include the following:

Make and model to be watching out for. We have spent hours and hours researching different models of catamarans.
Basically, it would need something large enough to house our family. Currently the girls have a room, the boys have a room, and the parents have a room. Given the size of the births, we would likely need a four room or a three room with a fold out somewhere.

Many people have advised to stay away from Lagoons, Leopards, and FPs because they are so slow and not really built for circumnavigation. (I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this since it is our first step in narrowing down the right boat.)

We would prefer some of the comforts of home, water maker, solar, generator, refrigerator, probably 2 deep freezers, Good storage for provisioning. The kids would love some space for kiteboards and scuba gear.

We have joined several of the homeschooling websites and groups and we are able to homeschool the children which turns out is a byproduct of COVID-19....

I also wanted to say thank you all the people who post on here. I have been reading the last couple of years and it really enjoyed the dialogue and the amount of help people are willing to offer.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Muz911
Muz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 15:34   #2

Re: Plan is to circumnavigate with the family.

Www.bumfuzzle.com. Not sure when they started their family, but they circumnavigate in a small cat (37?), then went to a 43 ft monohull, then to 42 ft trawler. Before that, they did all sorts of adventure travel in a VW bus then a vintage travel. They are good writers and photographers. They distill it down to needs vs wants.

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 02:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Plan is to circumnavigate with the family.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Muz.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
family