Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 15:21   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420, 44' 7"
Permission to Come Aboard ?

My wife and I have recently moved aboard our boat, a 2001 Island Packet 420. We'll be spending the next 4 years getting the boat and ourselves ready for what we hope will be the longest circumnavigation in the history of the planet. The Cruisers Forum looks like a fantastic resource of knowledge and ideas and we look forward to participating, learning, making new friends, etc.

Tom + Cheri
check out our blog - (La Vida Dulce)
Augydoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:52   #2

Welcome and congrats on your yacht as well as finding this cool place. There are tons of GREAT people here that will make your stay VERY enjoyable!! Cheers
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 16:20   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Welcome,
This is a great place.

I noticed this in your blog.

"The gentleman who did the survey for us was recommended by the broker representing the sellers. The surveyor never mentioned any problem with the holding tank even though we had pointed out the "leak" at the valves. As it turns out, this is a fairly common problem on Island Packets. The tanks are all made from aluminum and there have been quite a few reports of failed tanks. Seems to me that a good surveyor would have been familiar with this. It was his job to be completely thorough in his inspection and yet he missed the biggest, most obvious problem on the boat. I hate being taken for a sucker."

There is a thread about brokers that this would fit into.

Welcome to the club.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 16:48   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Permission denied...........Just kidding!

Welcome Aboard.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 16:59   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Welcome,
This is a great place.

I noticed this in your blog.

"The gentleman who did the survey for us was recommended by the broker representing the sellers. The surveyor never mentioned any problem with the holding tank even though we had pointed out the "leak" at the valves. As it turns out, this is a fairly common problem on Island Packets. The tanks are all made from aluminum and there have been quite a few reports of failed tanks. Seems to me that a good surveyor would have been familiar with this. It was his job to be completely thorough in his inspection and yet he missed the biggest, most obvious problem on the boat. I hate being taken for a sucker."

There is a thread about brokers that this would fit into.

Welcome to the club.
Yes, but it was your job not to set yourself up by accepting the recommendation of the broker when it came to hiring a surveyor. The surveyor works for you, and you pay handsomely for his expertise, so it's at least unwise to rely on the broker's surveyor recommendation.

What is more, you threw away the opportunity to find the problems (all boats have them) that you could have used to re-negotiate a lower price for the vessel. Please remember this when you buy your next vessel.

TaoJones
Old 28-07-2010, 17:24   #6

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Yeah, this sounds like paying the fox to guard the hen house so to speak. At least those are minor issues as far as failed tanks. I would quickly get a qualified surveyor on your boat asap and have it done properly. Also, I would get back with the surveyor/seller and make sure they know of your problem. Worse case is they tell you nothing they can do.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 18:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Yes, but it was your job not to set yourself up by accepting the recommendation of the broker when it came to hiring a surveyor. The surveyor works for you, and you pay handsomely for his expertise, so it's at least unwise to rely on the broker's surveyor recommendation.

What is more, you threw away the opportunity to find the problems (all boats have them) that you could have used to re-negotiate a lower price for the vessel. Please remember this when you buy your next vessel.

TaoJones
Thanks to all for chiming in. It's already a pleasure to be a part of the action.

TaoJones - I was working with a broker in Maryland who got the recommendation for the surveyor from the seller's broker down in Florida. Prior to the survey I flew down and did my own survey as best I could. In the end we got the boat for $110,000 under the going price. We did OK. My complaint about the surveyor was having to pay $900 for something that was useless in the end. I do appreciate your input and look forward to getting more advice on other subjects as well.

This one should probably be taken up in the "broker forum".

Tom
Old 30-07-2010, 09:09   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

TaoJones
You are correct.
I keep learning over and over that I can't trust anyone.
I keep trusting.
The definition of insanity.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 22:19   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
By reputation you have a great boat. Good luck on your sailing plans.
regards,
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Whenever I come across aluminum tanks I always recommend in my surveys that they be inspected annually by a qualified technician. You have to especially be weary of aluminum tanks that are padded with foam or insulation as the moisture can become trapped between the tank and the insulation and can cause acclerated deterioration of the tank. I use a camera probe on my surveys to see as much of the tank as possible just for CYA as well. Most of the time I get aluminum tank failures at the tank fittings from the connecting lines or cracks in the welded joints.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 13:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuenosAzules View Post
Whenever I come across aluminum tanks I always recommend in my surveys that they be inspected annually by a qualified technician. You have to especially be weary of aluminum tanks that are padded with foam or insulation as the moisture can become trapped between the tank and the insulation and can cause acclerated deterioration of the tank. I use a camera probe on my surveys to see as much of the tank as possible just for CYA as well. Most of the time I get aluminum tank failures at the tank fittings from the connecting lines or cracks in the welded joints.
Thanks for your input. The holding tank in my boat is V shaped and the area that failed was at the bottom of the V, right on a seam. I'm just now finding out that this is a pretty common problem, holding tank disaster. Fun stuff.
Old 03-08-2010, 14:16   #12

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
Welcome Tom & Cheri ! congrats on your new boat and your new life style every new second hand boat has some sort of issue dont be put off you have a great boat and a fantastic new life enjoy
cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 14:25   #13

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
You are correct.
I keep learning over and over that I can't trust anyone.
I keep trusting.
The definition of insanity.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I believe I can repeat them all exactly.

Augy - Welcome aboard! Your original request sounds military - you USN? I NEVER board someone's boat without asking.....

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 14:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
I have learned from my mistakes, and I believe I can repeat them all exactly.

Augy - Welcome aboard! Your original request sounds military - you USN? I NEVER board someone's boat without asking.....

John

John - That's affirmative. USN, '76 - '82. FTM2. Served four and a half years aboard the USS Norton Sound, also known as Building 1 because it was permanently tied to the pier. Also, also known as "the Love Boat" because we were one of the first to have females aboard. Yikes! Let's not go back there.

Tom
Old 03-08-2010, 15:33   #15

Boat: Prout Manta 38
Welcome.

Herrington Harbour is not that far from us. Holler if you see us out and about.

We lusted after an IP for a long time- finally decided we just weren't going to be able to afford one bigger than a breadbox.:-) Very nice boats.

Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote