Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 12:37   #1

Our Venture into the Adventure

Hello fellow cruisers. Let me introduce ourselves..my name is Bill and my lovely fianc'ee is Susan. We hail from upstate NY. We are both in the medical field...between both of us we have over 50 years of nursing skills. I think I gave our ages away....
To get to the point..we both love sailing. We have sailed on a few friends boats here and there over the years and cannot get it out of our heads. You would think we own a sailboat by our house...nautical to say the least.
We, over the past couple of years have given it some thought and we have decided that we would love the opportunity to live aboard a sailboat. When I mean live aboard I do mean live aboard. And not just at the same mooring or dock, we would spend some part of the year up near our hometown....Niskayuna, NY. The rest of the year we would sail down to florida or wherever our hearts would take us which brings me to the point I have been trying to make...we would follow our hearts and try to volunteer our time in some way to help others less fortunate like lets say...Haiti for example.
Don't get me wrong... we are not the religious type to "preach the word" ...we don't even attend church. Let's say we say a prayer when we see a sunset, watch the sunrise, or some beautiful scenery.
We are not getting any younger and we have both been looking at sailboats that are for sale. We don't want to buy a new cruiser and are unsure about a used one.
Sue brought up a question the other day about financing....oh boy..break out the scotch! No, seriously...this is what we discussed....
We discussed how would we finance a cruiser...perferably inbetween a 30 and a 40 ft sailing boat would be fine for the two of us. Susan brought up an idea that I thought about and would like input. She mentioned about writing letters to large corporations and asking them to sponsor us in our effort to helping others with our vast knowledge of nursing skills in underdeveloped, poverished countries again like Haiti. In return for a donation for the purchase of a vessel, we would give exclusive rights to the visual aspect of our sailboat…such as their name/logo on the hull, mast or sail.
We welcome all input, positive and negative. We think we are heading in the right direction and that would be trying to help others…
Take care all and looking forward to reading all responses. Cheers!
mrnurseskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 13:28   #2

I say give it a try. Start a website/blog to help promote your intentions. Companies these days are excited to jump on most things social networking.
SailingWebGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 13:40   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
welcome aboard and good luck....
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 14:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
welcome and good luck

your aims are commendable,and people have and do achieve this,but untill you become more experianced sailors,and have a track record,most large corporations tend to shy away from funding potentially self serving charities.

am not trying to be negative,just realistic.
i work with these guys on as volunteer www.shelterbox.org
also friends have been doing humantarian relief since the tsunami on h/v vega sailvega | 118 year old sailing vessel for humanitarian relief

amongst many others
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 15:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bill & Susan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 20:25   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Let's see, if you have 50 years of medical field skills between the two of you that's 25 each so if you started really young you'd be in your 30s.
Regardless, you're younger than I am so good luck on your plans and the best advice I can give is get started as soon as you possibly can.
kind regards,