Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 10:52   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Old broad introducing herself...

Wendy, when I was in your newbie position, I found that the local, smallish town library had a pretty good collection of applicable books. Being a compulsive reader, well, I bloody read them all over a period of a few months. We don't know where you actually live, so no idea if there would be a decent library nearby, but their prices are a lot lower than Amazon, and ya don't have to wait for delivery.

Jim
Old 22-11-2017, 11:06   #62

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wendy, when I was in your newbie position, I found that the local, smallish town library had a pretty good collection of applicable books. Being a compulsive reader, well, I bloody read them all over a period of a few months. We don't know where you actually live, so no idea if there would be a decent library nearby, but their prices are a lot lower than Amazon, and ya don't have to wait for delivery.

Jim
Jim, good suggestion about libraries - I live in Raleigh NC - many good libraries here, all run by the County (Wake). Membership is free and I should explore more. I have an incurable habit of wanting to "own" the books I read though, so will have to fight that tendency.

Wendy
Wendy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 11:33   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Wendy Ann, once I had an anthropology professor who told me, "Never buy a book you haven't read." ;-) If you follow that advice, your ship's library will hold only useful references.

Ann
Old 22-11-2017, 11:35   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I have an incurable habit of wanting to "own" the books I read though, so will have to fight that tendency.
Understood! But, there is a very rich literature associated with sailing, both technical and narrative, and ya can't own them all, especially if you are planning to live aboard a smallish yacht. Ann and I have a few "keepers" that live aboard with us,but for the most part books just cycle through our shelves (and lockers, and bags, and stacks).

So, let me suggest that you read from the library, and when you encounter books that resonate with you, purchase copies for your own on board collection. But keep in mind that on boats the size you are considering, a dozen or perhaps a score will be all you can find places for. It is an obvious tout for e-books, but so far we just don't seem to like that approach, practical though it may be!

Jim
Old 22-11-2017, 12:00   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Understood! But, there is a very rich literature associated with sailing, both technical and narrative, and ya can't own them all, especially if you are planning to live aboard a smallish yacht. Ann and I have a few "keepers" that live aboard with us,but for the most part books just cycle through our shelves (and lockers, and bags, and stacks).

So, let me suggest that you read from the library, and when you encounter books that resonate with you, purchase copies for your own on board collection. But keep in mind that on boats the size you are considering, a dozen or perhaps a score will be all you can find places for. It is an obvious tout for e-books, but so far we just don't seem to like that approach, practical though it may be!

Jim
I know, I know...you can't own them all (much less carry them on board a smallish yatch). Great suggestion on buying the ones that resonate with one after a library borrow. e-books? Not for me either (have resisted being converted, though I did give it a stab on my ancient company owned iPad - I downloaded Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, because I'd read it eons ago (in 'real book' form and loved it then) but I just can't get beyond a couple 'pages' on the iPad.

Wendy
Old 22-11-2017, 12:09   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hey, Wendy Ann, once I had an anthropology professor who told me, "Never buy a book you haven't read." ;-) If you follow that advice, your ship's library will hold only useful references.

Ann
Hey Ann - wise anthropology professor. Good advice. I have a collection of useless books I bought at the beginning of a Master's class (Liberal Studies) because they were on the "suggested additional reading" list. I learned a lesson - those books still sit unopened, unread, on the shelf as a constant admonishment.

Wendy
Old 22-11-2017, 12:19   #67

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch

Get up on it, sister babe! I'm a 62 yr old former touring musician and I just bought my first sailboat! I'm leaving for Guatemala in a couple of weeks to move aboard. I figure that I've got enuff time left in this life for one last big adventure. You do, too!

I don't have any sailing advice 'cause I don't know anything yet but I will tell ya this: When we are young, adventure stalks us like a maniacal lover. As we age we have to pursue it with vigor if we still value its company!

Buena suerte!
B.
Bodega Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:32   #68

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wendy,

Here's a thread you might be interested in, it is one of many on the subject, and it is a challenge you'll be wanting to meet: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ast-12940.html

Ann
Old 22-11-2017, 12:33   #69

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, I'll add my welcome too! I am late to the discussion, and if I missed it I apologize, but have you thought of taking a nice little vacation and looking for a boat that captures your heart down in Baja or San Carlos or Mazatlan or elsewhere there? Sometimes folks go there with great plans to go farther and change their minds. I once saw a boat for sale down there that tempted me...
All the best in your adventures!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:34   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodega Bob View Post
Get up on it, sister babe! I'm a 62 yr old former touring musician and I just bought my first sailboat! I'm leaving for Guatemala in a couple of weeks to move aboard. I figure that I've got enuff time left in this life for one last big adventure. You do, too!

I don't have any sailing advice 'cause I don't know anything yet but I will tell ya this: When we are young, adventure stalks us like a maniacal lover. As we age we have to pursue it with vigor if we still value its company!

Buena suerte!
B.
Thanks Bob - I think I'll read your post here every time I'm inclined to tell myself: noooo, what am I thinking???

Congratulations on your first sailboat purchase - happy moving aboard in two (two!) week's time - wishing you fair winds, following seas, as much adventure that you can handle and that makes you happy!

Buena suerte!
Wendy
Old 22-11-2017, 12:44   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, I'll add my welcome too! I am late to the discussion, and if I missed it I apologize, but have you thought of taking a nice little vacation and looking for a boat that captures your heart down in Baja or San Carlos or Mazatlan or elsewhere there? Sometimes folks go there with great plans to go farther and change their minds. I once saw a boat for sale down there that tempted me...
All the best in your adventures!
Hi Don - thanks for your welcome - never too late (the more the merrier - I'm feeling so welcomed here on the forum, I keep coming back for more!)

About Baja - the Sea of Cortez has been beckoning me since I accidentally clicked on Nautilus Sailing school's ad on this forum - so, whether I manage to make it to one of their livaboard one week courses (in the Sea of Cortez) or not, a vacation down that way sounds very enticing. Meanwhile, I spend my time looking at the boats for sale on La Paz Yatch's website. I think I could be quite happy just floating around that area for quite a while...
Old 22-11-2017, 14:59   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Wendy,

Here's a thread you might be interested in, it is one of many on the subject, and it is a challenge you'll be wanting to meet: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ast-12940.html

Ann
Hi Ann, oddly enough I was looking through that very thread earlier today.
In addition to ATN Top climbers, Pripussic knots, bosun' chairs, the inchworm method (which reminded me of coconut tree climbing in India (though this YouTube clip is from the Phillipines):

https://youtu.be/5dNiLa0IMKg

There was this humorous response from Zeehag:

"how do i climb my mast. i clean up gooood i put on a dress and look fiiine.. i go to a place where strong healthy males hang out i find the one who would look better in my dress than i would and approach him about some extra work as my boat could use it. he perks up and says he loves working on boats and i have me a slave boy for the next elebenty seben minuets or however long it takes to fix the problem."

Old 22-11-2017, 17:58   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Old broad introducing herself...

If you can climb a 50’ mast with an ATN mast climber and be good for anything the next day, your a better “man” than I am
In truth my 18 yr old daughter made it to the top, and was sore for a week, and she is skinny and athletic. I only made it to the spreader and was sore for a week. I was changing the steaming light.

Now I “climb” the mast with the spare halyard, a “real” bonsuns chair with a flat platform to sit on, and the wife uses the Milwaukee drill to hoist me up. Drill does the climbing.

My climbing harness I had for decades was I’m sure safe, but horribly uncomfortable, after a few minutes it was cutting circulation off to my legs and hurt.
It was actually used as an extraction harness if we ever got forced down in Indian territory, idea being your wingman landed and you clipped on the outside of the helicopter and flew away. Thankfully, never used by me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 18:35   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you can climb a 50’ mast with an ATN mast climber and be good for anything the next day, your a better “man” than I am
In truth my 18 yr old daughter made it to the top, and was sore for a week, and she is skinny and athletic. I only made it to the spreader and was sore for a week. I was changing the steaming light.

Now I “climb” the mast with the spare halyard, a “real” bonsuns chair with a flat platform to sit on, and the wife uses the Milwaukee drill to hoist me up. Drill does the climbing.

My climbing harness I had for decades was I’m sure safe, but horribly uncomfortable, after a few minutes it was cutting circulation off to my legs and hurt.
It was actually used as an extraction harness if we ever got forced down in Indian territory, idea being your wingman landed and you clipped on the outside of the helicopter and flew away. Thankfully, never used by me.
Honestly, I don't yet know how I would climb a mast - I'll have to leave that decision pending further thought (and investigation). Sounds like I would do well to stay away from ATN mast climbers though. 😁
Old 22-11-2017, 19:24   #75

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

[QUOTE=Wendy Ann;2523327]Hi Ann, oddly enough I was looking through that very thread earlier today.
In addition to ATN Top climbers, Pripussic knots, bosun' chairs, the inchworm method (which reminded me of coconut tree climbing in India (though this YouTube clip is from the Phillipines):

https://youtu.be/5dNiLa0IMKg

Hey Wendy...The Polynesian Cultural Center is on the north shore of Oahu, not the Phillipines. Sorry, born and raised there. When you sail to Hawaii, you need to check it out
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote