Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2017, 16:19   #106

Re: Old broad introducing herself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Ann View Post
Thanks Stu! - Short on time (work, work, work)...doing the 'quick reply' thing here (never tried that before so not sure how it'll come out in the wash). Will catch up with recent posts/comments and reply properly (there's that word again) hopefully tomorrow, or if not, then Saturday.... (Also getting lazy and copy/pasting. ugh).
Book suggestion welcome (compiling a "I would like....." list for Christmas!
Wendy, you're very welcome.

FYI, you don't really need to copy & paste the same message for all the other replies, we get it!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 16:57   #107

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Hi Wendy,
Welcome to the Forum,
Im 69, Age is just a number, I taught my last G/F to ride a motorcycle at 61, She bought her own bike after she got her licence,
I bought my 34 foot, Gemini 105MC, sailing Cat in Fiji, I Coudnt sail to save my life, I cant swim very well either,
It was a very specific buy for me as a retirement vessel, Ocean Going, Cheap to maintain, narrow width, 14 feet, I can get into an ordinary berth in a Marina,
Shallow draught, 2 feet, Also I can sit it on a sandy beach and still be level,
Diesel engine to get me up rivers and into Marina's, Etc, 3/4 gallon an hour at 7 knots,
Fully enclosed cockpit, Because the weather here in Victoria is horrendous at times,
Came with all the Bells and Whistles, Solar and three bedrooms, Its a house that floats,

The systems on it, Most I had never even seen before, Let alone how to turn them on or what they did,
Whats the big red button do, Hahahaha
I was a motor boat man all my life, So not a novice to boating,

Previous owner gave me a day and a half to learn it all, Then I was on my own,
6 weeks later, I sailed it to Australia on my own, I was also called Crazy and a Fool,

But they are only talking from their perspective, They know nothing about what I am capable off or can do, sitting in front of their computers waiting to die,

During the day, I sailed it,
Night time I sat in the bar and learned from the sailors there what I was doing right and wrong,
Yep, They laughed at me, It was very funny, All at my expense, But they did help me enormously with the sailing bits I didnt know,

Fiji to them was a supermarket they dropped into, to get their shopping and relax before heading out to sea to other places around the word, Very experienced sailors,
Next day I would try their suggestions out, It all worked, It was a crash course for me,
I learned very quickly, All hands on experience,

I dont read books about sailing, I look at Youtube video's of boats sailing in dangerous high seas,
Any one can sail in a Millpond, I wanted actual offshore knowledge in high seas,
Visual experience is some thing you cant get out of books,
You can see what they are going thru and what they are doing to keep them safe, Its very Informative,

I tried sailing on J boats here to advance my sailing knowledge,, Racing 25 footers in Port Phillip Bay, It has nothing even remotely close to cruising boats,
They are two totally different animals,
So that was a waste of time and effort for me,

When you decide on what boat you will get, Make sure it has every thing already on it,
Boat gear is very expensive to add to a boat,
Its very cheap if its already on it,
If a boat looks crap, Walk away from it, It will cost you heaps, No matter how much you like it,
One dollar in Boat bucks, = one thousand or more, So be aware,

I enjoyed your story and wish you well,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 17:02   #108

Boat: None yet

Well well Wendy I'm in exatly the same boat (Or not) as you LOL.I could have done it 7 yr's ago but chose the land thingie and now am contemplating exactly the same as you I'm only 58 and have the same mindset.I also have found great advise/opinions in this thread worthy of contemplation...25 at heart, know exactly what ya mean girl.Thumbs up.

Glenn.
K.I.S.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 17:36   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wendy, you're very welcome.

FYI, you don't really need to copy & paste the same message for all the other replies, we get it!
Thanks Stu - I found out the hard way that my "quick replies" all piled up at the bottom in a row one after the other - I'd expected them to follow each individual post, which they didn't. Still learning the mechanics of this forum so forgive my naivety.
Wendy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 17:46   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.S.S View Post
Well well Wendy I'm in exatly the same boat (Or not) as you LOL.I could have done it 7 yr's ago but chose the land thingie and now am contemplating exactly the same as you I'm only 58 and have the same mindset.I also have found great advise/opinions in this thread worthy of contemplation...25 at heart, know exactly what ya mean girl.Thumbs up.

Glenn.
Hello Glen - I guess when the time is ripe, the time is right (or vice versa). You have the advantage of getting there several years ahead of me so double thumbs up to you and may all go as you hope and wish. This forum is definitely a great, welcoming, and encouraging place to be. May we always remain 25 at heart.
Looking forward to reading of your progress in your land to sea transition - may the right boat find you as soon as the time is right.
Wendy
Old 02-12-2017, 17:51   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only thing more expensive to own than a big boat, is a big OLD Boat.
Sigh, yes, 1974 is probably not a wise choice at all unless I had unlimited cash flow to keep her maintained in the condition she deserves.
Old 02-12-2017, 18:09   #112

@ #109

"Computer stuff":

To tie a response to a particular post, I often start off with "@ #109", as you see here, or I "cut'n'paste" using "ctl c" and "ctl v" in the conventional way to respond to something that I find buried deep in a post, as I did in one of my replies to you. The tricky bit comes when you want to include pics and clips. Then you cannot use the "Post Quick Reply" function. Then you need to go the full Monty via the "Go Advanced" function. I have a clip or two I want to post for you, but I'm not confident in my understanding of what this 'ere forum's algorithm does and does not, and my 'puter has been playing silly-buggers with me today, so who knows what's gonna happen :-)

In such periods of uncertainty I use my word-processor [OpenOffice, natch :-)] to do my composing, then I cut'n'past the whole kit'n'kaboodle into the “Quick Response” window on CF. Pretty painless :-) There are times when I can out-type the 'puters ability to absorb the input which is what happened when you got the part-message because my 'puter went off half-cocked.

Why OO for word-processor rather than a MicroSoft product? Cos I LOATHE marketing and all its works, and I make a point of NOT buying any product that throws up advertising on my monitor while I'm working, or when I haven't specifically addressed the seller before he addresses me. Bloody cheek! And yes, I DO know about ad-blockers :-)

So hang in there – I'll have some cruising and boat related contrarian stuff for you soon :-)

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 18:26   #113

"Sigh, yes, 1974 is probably not a wise choice..."

Au contraire, Wendy. Bei mir, a forty year old boat is the way to go, PROVIDED the boat is in good condition! As one of our members said, a saying I've now purloined: "Wooden boats are on life-support from the moment they are launched. Fibreglass boats have to be ASSASSINATED!"

In boat ownership as in so many of life's affairs you get far more bang for the buck in a forty-year-old in good condition and well equipped than you do by getting into something newer and flashier!

So reserve judgement in this matter [I know you will :-)] until you've got some more shopping under your belt.

Which brings us to that Formosa 51: Lovely boat, BUT: She has a teak deck laid over fibreglass (so sez the broker's fancy-schmancy write-up). Eschew boats with teak decks. Teak decks are not all they are cracked up to be, because they cause the fibreglass under them to crack up - or at least to be holed in THOUSANDS of places where the teak is held to the deck by screws. Almost any 40YO teak-decked boat will need the teak replacing. It's a job I know full well how to do, but I would never undertake it. To re-deck a Formosa 51 could easily cost as much as the listed boat will eventually sell for - about a hundred grand!

TP
Old 02-12-2017, 18:27   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Hi Wendy,
Welcome to the Forum,
Im 69, Age is just a number, I taught my last G/F to ride a motorcycle at 61, She bought her own bike after she got her licence,
I bought my 34 foot, Gemini 105MC, sailing Cat in Fiji, I Coudnt sail to save my life, I cant swim very well either,
It was a very specific buy for me as a retirement vessel, Ocean Going, Cheap to maintain, narrow width, 14 feet, I can get into an ordinary berth in a Marina,
Shallow draught, 2 feet, Also I can sit it on a sandy beach and still be level,
Diesel engine to get me up rivers and into Marina's, Etc, 3/4 gallon an hour at 7 knots,
Fully enclosed cockpit, Because the weather here in Victoria is horrendous at times,
Came with all the Bells and Whistles, Solar and three bedrooms, Its a house that floats,

The systems on it, Most I had never even seen before, Let alone how to turn them on or what they did,
Whats the big red button do, Hahahaha
I was a motor boat man all my life, So not a novice to boating,

Previous owner gave me a day and a half to learn it all, Then I was on my own,
6 weeks later, I sailed it to Australia on my own, I was also called Crazy and a Fool,

But they are only talking from their perspective, They know nothing about what I am capable off or can do, sitting in front of their computers waiting to die,

During the day, I sailed it,
Night time I sat in the bar and learned from the sailors there what I was doing right and wrong,
Yep, They laughed at me, It was very funny, All at my expense, But they did help me enormously with the sailing bits I didnt know,

Fiji to them was a supermarket they dropped into, to get their shopping and relax before heading out to sea to other places around the word, Very experienced sailors,
Next day I would try their suggestions out, It all worked, It was a crash course for me,
I learned very quickly, All hands on experience,

I dont read books about sailing, I look at Youtube video's of boats sailing in dangerous high seas,
Any one can sail in a Millpond, I wanted actual offshore knowledge in high seas,
Visual experience is some thing you cant get out of books,
You can see what they are going thru and what they are doing to keep them safe, Its very Informative,

I tried sailing on J boats here to advance my sailing knowledge,, Racing 25 footers in Port Phillip Bay, It has nothing even remotely close to cruising boats,
They are two totally different animals,
So that was a waste of time and effort for me,

When you decide on what boat you will get, Make sure it has every thing already on it,
Boat gear is very expensive to add to a boat,
Its very cheap if its already on it,
If a boat looks crap, Walk away from it, It will cost you heaps, No matter how much you like it,
One dollar in Boat bucks, = one thousand or more, So be aware,

I enjoyed your story and wish you well,

Cheers, Brian,
Hello Brian - thanks for your welcome. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your response - encouraging, funny and reassuring, and full of very valid advice within the thoughts and experiences you describe. I enjoyed your story too.

You're right about reading books on sailing - while they do have their rightful place, YouTube videos are often so much more instructional (and entertaining). The one book I acquired sits on the coffee table under a pile of other paper flotsam and jetsam and I find myself with not enough time to read it. Also I spend way more time on this forum gleaning knowledge and information from the community here that I leave myself very little time to read anything else.

There's nothing like hands on experience - sounds like you did a splendid job acquiring yours. Much to be admired.

So right about finding a boat with everything on it that one needs (more useful information gleaned from this forum, and now reinforced by you).

Again, thanks for the welcome, the advice, and your stories.

Cheers
Wendy
Old 02-12-2017, 18:49   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "Probably highly impractical, but she's beautiful."

Uhm...yes. And no. Well, actually it's more like "no" and "yes". It would NOT be impractical for you, except perhaps from the financial point of view, and only you can determine that! And, yes, she IS beautiful! :-)

So let's begin by parsing the marketing fluff. We can pick up on the "technical" stuff later.

Yacht World Number: 3067674
Located in La Paz, BCS, Mexico
Year: 1975
Hull Material: Fiberglass
The Formosa 51’s *designed by the legendary William Garden have
earned a solid reputation as one of the finest, safest, and most
comfortable cruising boats to be found around the world
No argument with that at all. Accepted wisdom among knowledgeable yotties.

Lady Midnight is the finest example of this we have seen. She is currently
owned and meticulously maintained by one of the most knowledgeable
captains in the business.
Really? And who might he be?

Just returned from Puerto Vallarta and the
southern coast of Mexico,
That's good. So have many other boats :-)

everything on board has been checked out and
is in good working condition.
By whom, and sez who? One of our members who goes by “Boatpoker” is a professional surveyor. When MB and I bought TP she came with a survey that I, and more importantly our insurance underwriters, considered adequate. (there is that word again :-)!). But Boatpoker has a wonderful “model survey” somewhere here in the archives that I printed out and gave to MB. “'Ere!”, said I, '” 'Ere is a survey that shows the standard to which we should bring TP as we go along!” Find it, print it out, learn from it and use it as a guide for your own personal inspection of this or any other boat you may contemplate buying.

She is truly turnkey and ready to
continue cruising now.
Well, yes, but if are contemplating blowing a hunnert'n'fifty grand on a boat, you can probably spare a dollar or two for a little trip to LaPaz to see for yourself. But I will admit that the pics look good :-)

More tomorrow :-)

TP
Hi again TP - thanks for both responses, the one up above here, dissecting the marketing fluf (thankfully am old and educated enough to read between the lines of marketing fluf). And the other one previously. .....and as I write this I find you've posted other additional useful responses (I just can't keep up on my ancient iPad)!

And the questions you raise would be the ones to specifically ask, if I were to head to La Paz to take a look at Lady Midnight. Sadly, a hunnert 'n fifty grand I do not have to spare, so I shall just look at her and dream. 1975 vintage would likely be hard if not impossible to find a company that would insure her (I thought) from what I've read on this forum thus far, so another mark against her favor. (Except from your later response perhaps it would be in the realm of possibility).

Yes, teak decks...not so good, another nugget I've garnered from this forum - and thanks for reinforcing that bit of wisdom.

Well, Lady Midnight might languish in the Sea of Cortez, unsold, with a steadily diminishing sale price until she falls within my reach? Who knows...

Looking forward to more contrarian advice - much obliged.

Wendy
Old 02-12-2017, 21:09   #116

Lessee if this will work. It sez I've added a vido, but have I?

TP
Attached Files
Old 02-12-2017, 21:16   #117

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wendy Ann,

Some of the choice depends on how much you like to varnish. Jim's and my choice has always been to look for boats with a minimum of exterior timber trim to varnish. We'd rather play than fight the groveling that accompanies varnishing, or pay someone to do it well. So, beautiful timber, to me, is lovely to look on on OPBs (other people's boats), period. This boat has 3 teak deck hatches and teak companionway trim--and she's a timber boat [modern composite construction]. They take about 2 weeks twice a year, just for that, does not count time keeping up below decks timber.

It is only my opinion, but I think getting a boat with a lot of teak trim would be a mistake for you, unless you are content to stay somewhere when you'd rather be gone playing...and remember to carry plenty of the type of varnish you decide you prefer with you, too. It's not easy to receive shipments when you have no address whatsoever. You are likely to find maintenance will get deferred, and then the job is much harder.

Be happy, I think you just dodged a bullet.

Ann

Ann
Old 02-12-2017, 23:50   #118

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Ann View Post
Sigh, yes, 1974 is probably not a wise choice at all unless I had unlimited cash flow to keep her maintained in the condition she deserves.
1974 is too young. Go with one from the 60s! Really!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 00:35   #119

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wendy Ann, oh....do I have a special treat for you. Quite some time ago I ran across a video late one night watching youtube. This lady...possibly late 70's...a woman who had lived aboard a, 30foot something, sailboat had her husband pass away. She became depressed and lost her creative drive and passion for life and art. She decided to get back to life on board her and her husband's boat. I want you to watch it. It is exactly what you need to see.

The human spirit is intrepid. You can do this thing you desire. Do not let anyone or anything stand in your way. It is only committing and stepping forward. It is only in the doing.

If this woman can do it....I can do it....you can do it. God bless you in your travels. Watch her many videos...she is a rare gem. She is also an incredible artist. Watch how she comes out of the cabin and finds her tender flipped upside down with her 2 stroke engine immersed in the brine. Watch how she overcomes this nightmare. It is a lesson to anyone to see her intelligence and resolve.

https://youtu.be/WIHJEEJSIz8
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55   #120

@ # 116

Well that obviously didn't do it. Let's see if this will :-)

TP