Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 19:31   #76

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Old broad introducing herself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Ann View Post
Honestly, I don't yet know how I would climb a mast - I'll have to leave that decision pending further thought (and investigation). Sounds like I would do well to stay away from ATN mast climbers though. 😁
Had a homemade ATN on the previous boat. Like 64, I gave it a shot. Made it half way up the mast, and was done. Maybe if you climb a lot of stairs daily, it wouldn't be a problem...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 21:29   #77

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes I think a nice journey to Cabo San Lucas is in your future and there you will find the wise one, Zee! (or is she in La Paz?)
From her you can learn much, grasshopper!
venture forth in boldness!
(and for heaven's sake, don't worry about any mast climbing yet)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 22:52   #78

Boat: None yet

[QUOTE=Souzag818;2523453]
Quote:
Hi Ann, oddly enough I was looking through that very thread earlier today.
In addition to ATN Top climbers, Pripussic knots, bosun' chairs, the inchworm method (which reminded me of coconut tree climbing in India (though this YouTube clip is from the Phillipines):

https://youtu.be/5dNiLa0IMKg

Hey Wendy...The Polynesian Cultural Center is on the north shore of Oahu, not the Phillipines. Sorry, born and raised there. When you sail to Hawaii, you need to check it out
Hey Souzag - thanks for stopping by, reading the comments, and watching the YouTube clip! You're right of course about the geographical distance between Polynesia and the Phillipines - chalk up my unintended gaffe to my trying to compose a response on an ancient iPad, watching about ten YouTube clips while trying to find one on an Indian climbing a coconut tree (because that's where I grew up), failing to do so but settling on the one I posted, forgetting where it was located, and also trying to copy and paste Zeehag's humorous comment within the same response, without losing it all...so, stymied my technology, and a distracted memory - not total ignorance. If I do sail to Hawaii, I'll be sure to stop by the north shore of Oahu.

(By the way - must have been a great place to have been born and raised - like India was great place for me to have been raised).
Wendy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 23:00   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes I think a nice journey to Cabo San Lucas is in your future and there you will find the wise one, Zee! (or is she in La Paz?)
From her you can learn much, grasshopper!
venture forth in boldness!
(and for heaven's sake, don't worry about any mast climbing yet)
yes! The wise one, Zee! I've been following her posts with fascination - La Paz I think - or the general area (I've heard the ocean is rather rough around Cabo San Lucas, so likely not a good place to anchor). From her I hope to learn much, when I make it down there (I say when, not if, hoping that's not taking liberties with the sea gods).
Old 22-11-2017, 23:05   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Had a homemade ATN on the previous boat. Like 64, I gave it a shot. Made it half way up the mast, and was done. Maybe if you climb a lot of stairs daily, it wouldn't be a problem...
Hi Sousag - Not good at climbing stairs so I'll follow your advice. Impressed that you had a homemade ATN and gave it a shot! (Sorry I've been reading comments backwards and missed this one before I replied (all miffed and self righteous) at your other one ...
Old 22-11-2017, 23:17   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My climbing harness I had for decades was I’m sure safe, but horribly uncomfortable, after a few minutes it was cutting circulation off to my legs and hurt.
It was actually used as an extraction harness if we ever got forced down in Indian territory, idea being your wingman landed and you clipped on the outside of the helicopter and flew away. Thankfully, never used by me.
Pilot: now there's something I missed the first time around - a bit of interesting history in your background - the extraction harness - forced down in Indian territory - wingman - clipped on the outside of the helicopter - (thankfully never used by you)...goodness I would love to hear more - my imagination's furiously painting pictures.
Old 24-11-2017, 08:36   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m just an old Retired Military Pilot.
I was really trying to explain why I had a good, expensive climbing harness, yet was not a climber.
Real climbers can I believe scurry up a mast and wonder why the rest of us struggle with such a simple climb.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 09:16   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
One thing in particular caught my attention and interest - that you anchor in the Bay Area. My daughter lives there (Berkekey) and one of my first thoughts was - if you can do it, perhaps I could too (went so far as to zoom in on Google maps and take a look at some of the marinas there). Perhaps the next time I visit her there you wouldn't mind catching up over a cup of tea, or coffee, or wine, or beer - and have a good chat?
Lots of anchorages in the delta which is where i mainly hang out in summer, The central bay has a few, China camp, paradise cove, Clipper cove and of course Richardson bay.

On climbing the mast. While i use to do it, it's pretty tough to get my old fat butt up there anymore. So that and changing the prop zinc are two jobs I hire out. It's a workout using assenders. One I could do at 50-55 but at nearly 62 is NOT an option anymore.

If your planing on livingaboard in the bay area, the trick is finding a liveaboard slip. Calling never works. You have to show up at each office and ask.

I find taking a temporary slip first is a good way for the harbormaster to meet you and your boat and see if your a good fit. Of course you have to move about a bit sometimes, too using a temperary slip.

Marina's in the SF bay and delta have a minimum length requirement for liveaboard. That 10 years ago was 26 to 30 feet. Now most require 35 feet to 40 feet. Though there are enough marina's in the delta that I don't have an issue docking my 34' boat.

Before buying a boat, make sure you have a slip to put it in. Finding a liveaboard slip may take some time. Of course anchoring out is doable in the delta, but the boat has to reliable with solar/wind for power and really good ground tackle. If you can't do the work hiring a electrician or mechanic can get spendy in a hurry.

One nice thing about the delta is it's low humidity spring, summer and fall. It gets hot (to 100+F) in July and August, so sun shades help cool the boat about 8 degrees. Of course the water then is warm enough to swim in. Why i love it so.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 10:06   #84

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If you are looking to liveaboard and have good local cruising ground, you might google Earth Channel Islands while you are at it. There are quite a few boats and slips available. Liveaboards here usually need to be 35 (or more) foot boats. Check Ventura and Channel Islands harbors. Just don't tell anyone!
The islands here and the channel, the variable weather and conditions all make it a great area to practice for any further ventures (like heading south to Baja)... or just hang out in a quiet cove for a couple months with some of us colorful locals. Santa Barbara is awfully nice too but you'll pay a premium for a slip there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 10:29   #85

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

That call from the Sea of Cortez is a good one. It is a very forgiving place, mostly, to get cruising confidence and polish technique. A couple of years ago we met Critter there solo cruising her sailboat, I didn't inquire, but think in her sixties somewhere or other. Quite confident and able and definitely living on her own terms. Good luck.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 16:40   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m just an old Retired Military Pilot.
I was really trying to explain why I had a good, expensive climbing harness, yet was not a climber.
Real climbers can I believe scurry up a mast and wonder why the rest of us struggle with such a simple climb.
Fair enough - I guess it was the "Indian Territoty" that had me curious - like a time warp episode
Real climbers spend a great deal of their time doing just that - climbing - so not surprising that they're better at it than the rest of us.
Old 24-11-2017, 16:50   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Lots of anchorages in the delta which is where i mainly hang out in summer, The central bay has a few, China camp, paradise cove, Clipper cove and of course Richardson bay.

On climbing the mast. While i use to do it, it's pretty tough to get my old fat butt up there anymore. So that and changing the prop zinc are two jobs I hire out. It's a workout using assenders. One I could do at 50-55 but at nearly 62 is NOT an option anymore.

If your planing on livingaboard in the bay area, the trick is finding a liveaboard slip. Calling never works. You have to show up at each office and ask.

I find taking a temporary slip first is a good way for the harbormaster to meet you and your boat and see if your a good fit. Of course you have to move about a bit sometimes, too using a temperary slip.

Marina's in the SF bay and delta have a minimum length requirement for liveaboard. That 10 years ago was 26 to 30 feet. Now most require 35 feet to 40 feet. Though there are enough marina's in the delta that I don't have an issue docking my 34' boat.

Before buying a boat, make sure you have a slip to put it in. Finding a liveaboard slip may take some time. Of course anchoring out is doable in the delta, but the boat has to reliable with solar/wind for power and really good ground tackle. If you can't do the work hiring a electrician or mechanic can get spendy in a hurry.

One nice thing about the delta is it's low humidity spring, summer and fall. It gets hot (to 100+F) in July and August, so sun shades help cool the boat about 8 degrees. Of course the water then is warm enough to swim in. Why i love it so.
Thanks for all the useful information and advice - (yes I think I'll have to pass on the mast climbing exercise).

Good list of anchorages - thanks for that too. I think I read your advice about the livaboard slip situation on one of your other posts - sort of a catch 22 situation - need to have a boat to get approved for a liveaboard slip, need to have a slip before you get the boat. If I set my final sights in the Bay Area though, I'm sure something will work out. I need to learn how to sail properly first. Thanks again for the feedback and advice. The delta sounds like a lovely spot to hang out in.
Old 24-11-2017, 16:59   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
That call from the Sea of Cortez is a good one. It is a very forgiving place, mostly, to get cruising confidence and polish technique. A couple of years ago we met Critter there solo cruising her sailboat, I didn't inquire, but think in her sixties somewhere or other. Quite confident and able and definitely living on her own terms. Good luck.
Thanks for your thoughts on the Sea of Cortez - it definitely looks like a beautiful, calm sea, judging from the Windy app on my phone - (nice way to wander the globe looking at wind conditions - and other weather related events, real time).
Now Critter I have not heard of - Zeehag on the other hand - still there and on this forum, and now in her late sixties from her description of herself - also sailing solo, living aboard and on her own terms. Wonder if it's the same person. If not then they're very much alike in that respect.
Thanks for stopping by and wishing me luck.
Wendy
Old 24-11-2017, 17:08   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If you are looking to liveaboard and have good local cruising ground, you might google Earth Channel Islands while you are at it. There are quite a few boats and slips available. Liveaboards here usually need to be 35 (or more) foot boats. Check Ventura and Channel Islands harbors. Just don't tell anyone!
The islands here and the channel, the variable weather and conditions all make it a great area to practice for any further ventures (like heading south to Baja)... or just hang out in a quiet cove for a couple months with some of us colorful locals. Santa Barbara is awfully nice too but you'll pay a premium for a slip there.
Hi Don - thanks for the suggestion - I looked up Channel Islands, and found lots of reading material (haven't gone the google earth route yet, but did find a couple sailing schools, one run out of Channel Islands Harbor (Marina Sailing - https://marinasailing.com/Classes/Classes/AllCourses). Cheaper than the one out of La Paz. Haven't looked up the other harbors you mentioned (will be my next stop on google maps, satellite view).
I promise - I won't tell a soul!
Adding the location to my short list (will look for you and the other colorful locals if I make it over that way)!
Old 29-11-2017, 05:26   #90

Check out a used Jeanneau 36i. Big enough to live aboard, small enough to single-hand, well built, reliable Yanmar diesel, and a great sailing boat.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote