Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Now the Blue Crab scenario: same all day like above but when clouds start to build, we step outside mossie net surrounding cockpit as it starts to rain for a soapy shower. I soap up Lindsay Lohan, my RIG (rigid inflatable girl) who was made in China so she's a little Mickey Mouse but without the ears. The passive rain water collector round the edge of the bimini starts its job. We activate the 12v cockpit fan powered by Walmart start battery fed by accumulated electric thingies in batt supplied by 25w solar gizmo. After dinner of cold beans and warm beer (it's too hot to cook and sometimes we have pork with those healthy, high protein beans!) it's dark, the heat and moisture of our love-making is cooled by fan. 44 gal of water have been collected, our tanks runneth over, we're full as ticks and exhausted from the nightly sex. Well ... perhaps another beer. If I'm revived by the beer, I might inflate the Beyoncé doll. She's black, I'm blue. We like it rough.
:thumbs: we're too spoiled and think the rain is too cold

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Old boater planning for offshore cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
There's really no need to insult someone who disagrees with you on this forum.

There are many routes to happiness... some don't include A/C.
It seems it does not matter what the topic is...fine threads vs. course thread, setting up a SSB or just discussing AC. Some people have to be obstanent, sarcastic and controversial.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post

Jedi,

Sounds like a great system. Question: you collect rainwater AND use a water maker? I suppose after pressure washing the non-teak decks collecting rain water is very straightforward for you.

Also, I am guessing you have a very large fan to need the inverter. You don't like the 12v jobs, Hellas and so forth?

Cheers.

Dhillen
When the tanks are full then I'll just rinse the watermaker with fresh water. When I make water, I rinse it with fresh too. It's one of those devices that you must keep using for longevity.

Collecting rainwater is part of the design of the Sundeers. Our record is 400 gallons in 20 minutes, which is the limit of the two deck fill openings. More than 400 gallons was spilled because of that limit...

We all but stopped using the DC powered fans. Too much trouble and too much cost. We use very small AC powered fans which seem to last much longer while costing a fraction.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:58   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

It seems it does not matter what the topic is...fine threads vs. course thread, setting up a SSB or just discussing AC. Some people have to be obstanent, sarcastic and controversial.
You forgot blunt, snarky etc. But if it isn't for that controversial me and a couple of others, wrong info would stay unchallenged on this forum, which might lead others to believe that it's correct. Like with the fine threads for tapping aluminium masts, or the coax cable between tuner and backstay. In both cases you and others were wrong and instead of accepting that you keep stalking me and grabbing every chance to try and ridicule me; like you need payback time. Why don't you just ignore me; many who can't live with cold factual engineering do that, even pro's

On this AC thing, there is no right or wrong; it's a choice. But putting coax between an AT140 tuner and the backstay is wrong, not a choice.

p.s. I was not trying to insult Daddle at all, I actually like him. But I wasn't very clear with how I meant that either, so it was logical to see it taken the wrong way. I'll try to improve that. In the mean time, you might try AGF: Assume Good Faith. It helps.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:03   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Stalking...No that's hilarious!...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Stalking...No that's hilarious!...
It is, glad you get my twisted form of humor now

Old 05-05-2013, 19:18   #37

Well I appreciate your wit!

I don't feel the need to conform to anyone else's idea of comfort. I want what I want and that includes keeping my wife happy. If that means I install an AC then so be it.

I'm not endangering myself or anyone else (ala Blackops' original Bermuda plan). I'm looking for ideas on meeting certain requirements I have for cruising. I don't care if somebody else wouldn't do it the way I would. I'm not making a statement that everybody else has to do things my way. I don't care if anyone else thinks I SHOULD.

I appreciate the positive suggestions and I will expand my search to Cats. We are quite familiar with them from the charter perspective, but I know that's nothing like live aboard. I need to research their seagoing suitability as I am far less familiar with that aspect than I am of monohulls.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 20:18   #38

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Maj: I like your attitude. I have a 2003 hunter 356 equipped just like you are discussing, but it is on Kentucky Lake and is not an ocean crossing boat. We are limited on fuel, but could install a watermaker for increased water needs. On the lake, we have no need for more tankage. We have Dish network with a KVH antenna and run our HVAC continuously and keep the salon a constant 72 degrees with no humidity.

When we leave the dock, the generator starts and does not stop until we get back and plug back in. My wife and I decided that's how we wanted it and she is right there with me all the time and loves the boat. I sail, she stays down below most of the time and reads, watches TV and remains very comfortable. We have a shower in the head, a queen size bed and are very comfortable in the 356. The full kitchen has a gas range with oven, refrigerator, freezer and microwave. We are always comfortable in both hot and cold weather and spend an average of 75 days a year on-board. We have a full enclosure that goes on in October and comes off in mid May each spring. We have 75 gallons of water and 38 gallons of fuel. The Northen Lights 5kw generator is in a custom sound enclosure and we barely know it's there. It burns 6 gallons in 24 hours. We have an autopilot, radar, sonar, computers and all the electronics including a satellite phone and I am always connected IF I WANT TO BE- my choice! We outfitted this new boat in 2003. Most boats like mine were not nearly as well equipped and some joked about our "condo on the water". Well, there are few boats used as much as ours. This is the 11th season and we are going strong. At some point, we'll take it south to SW Florida for the winter. The reason why? We got it like we want it to enjoy it! My wife is not a sailor and I single hand the boat and it is easy to sail with in mast furling and the below decks autopilot. The way you are planning to outfit your boat is right for you and your wife- GO FOR IT AND ENJOY! If you want to use the generator and HVAC it is there, if not YOUR CHOICE!
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 20:55   #39

Just for the record: No insult by Jedi was taken by me. Don't ever worry about my feelings, I'm Internet-immune. I've tangled on forums much freer than CF. Jedi usually gets the facts right. His opinions and lifestyle are another matter: opposite mine.

On topic: Since when is a 50-something "old"? I'm insulted
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 22:41   #40

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Apologies if I missed a bit skimming through the posts, but did you consider a cat?

Considering your price range, cruising locations, past experience, and need for home-like comforts, it would seem that a Catamaran would be an optimal choice.

In the length you're considering, a lot of monohulls will be sufficiently deep-hulled that they will be limiting in some parts of the Caribbean.

You said you sailed Catamarans in the past - is there some reason you're shying away from them now?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 23:21   #41

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Let me give you a typical scenario: it's a blistering hot and humid day. Swimming and awnings and a little breeze has kept it comfortable. At the end of the afternoon, clouds build up and so does humidity, while the wind dies and temperature stays up. As the time comes for preparing a meal, for which the outside grill is readied, it starts to rain. Tropical rain, thanks to the ITCZ. Now, you go inside the boat with wet hair etc., close all the hatches, and light up the stove. What do you think the atmosphere will be?

Now the Jedi scenario: same all day like above but when clouds start to build, the small pressure washer makes an appearance, powered by inverter and the boat's fresh water supply and the decks are cleaned using up to 10 gallons of water. Boat nice and clean and as it starts to rain, we start the genset, activate the rain water collection and go inside. The genset powers the A/C, battery charger, water maker and it's hot cooling water heats the water heater, while we cook a masterpiece meal in cool surroundings. After dinner it's dark, the heat and moisture are out of the boat, batteries topped up for the night, a couple hundred gallons of water made and/or caught , coffee maker is ready, rain stopped, and we shut everything down and go drink coffee in the cockpit. At night we use a fan on the inverter.

I think the first scenario is what makes the wife run away and the guy eat cold beans straight from the can
Jedi,

There is the camping group and the comfortable group. I am with you.

Similar to Dhillan I will be running a genset for a scuba compressor so why not throw on a a/c or 2.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 23:35   #42

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We had a gas-powered compressor, and for the next boat it will be electric and run off the genset. As long as you have a genset, you might as well have the AC on if things get a bit sticky. You will find the non-AC set more than willing to come over for cool sundowners.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 23:41   #43

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

and ice.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:56   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

daddle, you're not "old" until you wake up and find rust stains on your pillow.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:14   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
daddle, you're not "old" until you wake up and find rust stains on your pillow.

rodlmao...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore