Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 04:29   #1

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Nu B 2 Cats...but Going for it !

Hello everyone! My name is Michael and my girlfriend (Ashley) and I have just completed our ASA Course 101,103,104 and 114! Now are currantly selling everything and buying a Cat. I have been doing tons of research, which Cruisers Forum is the best, and have decided to get a 40'-44' Cat. Leaning to a Lagoon or a Leopard. I still like the Voyage and Seawind however difficult to find and can be pricey! The good news is it's a buyers market so we will see. I currantly live on 12 acers in Denver, North Carolina and am selling my place. So if anyone is interested I am willing to discuss a trade. I look foreword to our adventures and talking with all of you.
P.S. Being new I am always open to advice and suggestions so PLEASE don't hesitate! I AM ALL EYES AND EARS AND WANT TO LEARN!
:Cheers: and fairwinds my new friends!
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:22   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. Buying your first boat is an emotional roller coaster but eventually you find the right boat at the right price. Took us 2 years and can't count the trips to Florida and elsewhere to look at vessels that appeared wonderful on the listing but seldom came off that well in fact.

We wish you well in your boat search and voyages.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39   #3

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Thank you SB! Any suggestions to avoid the disapointments? Outside of buying new of course!
Cheers!
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:16   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Just start looking and don't get disappointed. The right boat is out there and worth searching for.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:02   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Mike and Ashley, welcome to the forum! Keeping in mind that advice is typically worth what you pay for it, here are my 2 cents:

1. If looking at new boats, go to Annapolis and/or the Miami boat show. Spend considerable time on any of the boats that you are considering, sit in all seating areas, lay down of the bunks, stand in the showers, compare cupboard/counter space (bring a tape measure) and see if you can get out on a test sail. If you are looking at previous models, go to Florida and check out the used market, doing precisely the same thing.

2. Once you have narrowed it down to two boats, book a charter on both. Yes, this will typically limit you to more recent designs and commonly, the charter layout (although with some effort, you can often find one with the owner's layout). However, the time aboard will not only give you a chance to use the galley/heads/cockpit/saloon, but also to check out sailing and anchoring, even if only in modest conditions. I suggest that the experience will be invaluable, particularly for newbies who have, at this point, only a theoretical understanding of what they want in a boat. If you are chartering a somewhat older boat, it will have the added advantage of allowing you see how well they hold up over time.

Yes, there are some terrific designs that were built in limited numbers and which may be excluded from this process; that being said, for first time buyers I suspect that you may be better off purchasing a boat from one of the larger, more established companies so that you can get this experience before putting out a huge amount of money; furthermore, unlike one-offs, the resale value of these boats is typically quite predictable in case you make a mistake.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 22:09   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I hope you can find the boat you are looking for. Lots of them out there and it is a buyers market.
kind regards,